coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
admin
Site Admin

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Sat May 02, 2020 2:48 pm

the good doctor has even worse news today.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRmt78mAKfg
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat May 02, 2020 8:00 pm

well, couple of land marks.

the number of daily deaths in the united states was greater than the number of deaths on 9/11.

67,000 official deaths, blows through the fairytale projections being pushed by the white house of 60,000 by august.

My guesstimate is that with unreported, under reported, misreported deaths is conservatively over 100,000 deaths (very conservatively), and 500,000 (just slightly less conservatively).

By end of 2020, 1 million deaths in the United States is completly within in the realm of possibility, especially with the grand "opening up" plan; hopefully, that does not turn out to be a conservative estimate either.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

proger

Post by proger » Sat May 02, 2020 8:46 pm

Antofagasta doing awful, why is that?

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat May 02, 2020 9:42 pm

Isn't Antofagasta the no 1 mining town? There is probably a lot of travel in and out of there, both people shuttling between RM and Antofagasta + international execs were flying in and out of Chile, and probably labourers crossed into Chile from Bolivia, Peru etc. Even though a lot of that would have been shut down throughout March, there might have been a start of a spread there in February and early March before cases were being reported. Just a guess....

mem

Post by mem » Sat May 02, 2020 11:48 pm

proger wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:46 pm
Antofagasta doing awful, why is that?
Strange considering all the sun and heat. If it does well there the northern hemisphere summer may not really help

Meanwhile, more data coming out showing strokes, blood clots, kidney damage, etc in covid infected that are young/middleaged

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertglat ... ed-people/

Zenth

Post by Zenth » Sun May 03, 2020 10:42 am

A lot of researchers are going to be focusing on the southern hemisphere to note the effect of cold weather on this virus. I don't think there will be any cure (control, actually) or vaccine that will work available for at least six months.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun May 03, 2020 11:37 am

Zenth wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:42 am
A lot of researchers are going to be focusing on the southern hemisphere to note the effect of cold weather on this virus. I don't think there will be any cure (control, actually) or vaccine that will work available for at least six months.
Yeah I have a feeling its actually going to be a friggin calamity in places like Santiago in the winter, thousands and thousands of deaths due to the system overload, people not being treated for other conditions , other respiratory conditions and just the general shitty weather conditions that exist in Santiago in winter. I think you might be being a bit optimistic with the 6 months.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Sun May 03, 2020 11:47 am

admin wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:03 am

I was not certain about what it would be, but something. It was, at least to me, obvious that the vast majority of the World was not sustainable the way it was being operated, and it was far too fragile a system relative to the Global population. It was not going to take much to break it, badly. Turns out, it was not even something as large as the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. It was just a microscopic string of RNA that broke the camel's back.

We consciously moved the family out of Santiago (at least the ones that we could convince to go) some years ago, as it was clear to us, that them being there was going to be a problem for everyone concerned; including me and my wife if something went wrong there.

My mother in law, with all her medical conditions, she would be dead. My brother in law, he use spend hours riding a combination of the bus and metro to cross Santiago every day to work. The kids, would have been locked in a concrete 3x5 prison cell of a back patio through this quarantine (they were lucky enophe to have a patio). My sister in law's old buisness would have failed in a spectacular fashion as it depended on the schools being open. None of them ever seen each other all at the same time, except maybe sunday afternoons.

Instead, yesterday, 4:30 on the dot, we all went for a walk in the campo with the dogs. We said hello to our friends / nieghbors as we walked by on the country road. If we all did not have elderly people in our families to watch out for, our nieghbors probably would have joined us as we are all old friends. proper social distancing is rather easy in the campo. We were able to keep 30 meters distance at all times from our friends, so we could talk.....

Yeah I think the same way. I have for awhile. I managed to convince my wife in 2018 to considering moving farther away from Santiago and got her to agree to the idea of Rancagua.......sold it to her as having a bigger house and lot......figured I could never get her to agree to something truly in the campo but better than the big city at least.......so I signed a "promesa" to buy a home there in November of that year......and instead of moving there the next year (2019) like I imagined, instead 2019 was just a year full of multiple job changes (instability) and still waiting for the next house to be ready......so here we are still stuck in Puente Alto and no without an official job.....I do some translation work for an Argentinean company that also started back in 2018, my boletas are not for as much as I'd like but we can get by with just that for a few months.......just trying to ride it out.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun May 03, 2020 1:31 pm

Having a lazy Sunday morning or something else going on ? Why numbers not out yet for yesterday?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun May 03, 2020 1:35 pm

Government report:

1,228 new cases, 19,663 total confirmed cases.

13 new deaths, 260 total deaths

10,041 considered recovered

81% of all new cases are in Santiago, and there is a widespread disregard for any mitigation methods. From not wearing masks in businesses and shopping malls, to clandestine parties.

The government is threatening a crackdown on violations with mass fines.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun May 03, 2020 1:36 pm

41southchile wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:31 pm
Having a lazy Sunday morning or something else going on ? Why numbers not out yet for yesterday?
minister of health is traveling around, and gave the press conference in valpo really late. still in progress.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun May 03, 2020 1:44 pm

admin wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:36 pm
41southchile wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:31 pm
minister of health is traveling around, and gave the press conference in valpo really late. still in progress.
Yeah a normal Sunday morning I guess nothing happens on time on Sundays, they are just out now.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... covid.html

Santiago is going to get hammered, the Chile football ream comparison was right, this is very shortly about to grow exponentially in Santiago. Piñera looses all the support he has recovered and shit hits the fan for the rest of the winter there. Trouble is , Santiago is Chile , despite what parochrial provinces like to say, and if they get run over by this thing its likely the rest of the country will be badly affected too. Then September / October comes and the large scale civil disturbances start and the plebisite goes ahead.