coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
admin
Site Admin

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:52 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:50 am
There's always a silver lining: my wife went to Registro Civil today to get her new cédula and there were only 2 people in front of her on the queue. When I last went there to do the same, there were 70+.
oh, a that is because among other things, all ID in the country that are expiring have been extended.

We are working on getting together a list of all the things that get changed under the emergency decrees, but it is a big list; and we are really swamped right now. Might take us a bit.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:53 am

The short version is that the goverment has decreed that no one go to any government office unless it is an absolute emergency.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

justgoinghome

Post by justgoinghome » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:59 am

Hi all,

Firstly I've been a lurker on this excellent forum for some months in order to gather information about and prepare for our long (months) holiday to Chile. Thanks to everyone who posts here and to admin for such an excellent resource.

Cut to the chase; I'd like to urgently access a coronavirus test in Santiago for one of our party in order to be cleared to fly out on what we assume is going to be one of the last commercial flights for some time. The issue I have is that it looks like they are now only testing those with severe symptoms or those who've had contact with known cases.

Does anyone here have any information about whether it's possible to pay for a test at this point, and if so whats the best/safest way of getting it done?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:25 am

201 cases in Chile, 45 over yesterday.

gregf

Post by gregf » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:36 am

My suegra flew back to chile last night from uruguay. She is 87, has heart trouble, was more or less alone in uruguay (there to try to sell her property). Family made the decision to fly her back where her family is here in chile, and brave the airports, rather than get stuck in uruguay alone. Uruguay's population is aged, so many viejos... I think that country is going to suffer and be overwhelmed worse than Italy. It was an awful place to be in making that decision, knowing that if she catches the virus, her odds are not great at all.

Last night I just sort laid in bed listening to my kids breathing (moved their beds into our room), thinking about how fucked up everything in the world is about to get. Without a vaccine this doesn't really end without a 12+ month quarantine and social distancing? Maybe some windows where it lets up a bit, but still, a drastically changed landscape. If it lasts that long, I can't even imagine what the economic landscape will be in 2021 and beyond. If I will have a job, etc. It hit me last night just how fragile a position we're in.

mem

Post by mem » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:38 am

admin wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:52 am
tiagoabner wrote:
There's always a silver lining: my wife went to Registro Civil today to get her new cédula and there were only 2 people in front of her on the queue. When I last went there to do the same, there were 70+.
oh, a that is because among other things, all ID in the country that are expiring have been extended.

We are working on getting together a list of all the things that get changed under the emergency decrees, but it is a big list; and we are really swamped right now. Might take us a bit.

Ah I was just wondering about permisos. I know some people can do it online but I have always had to go the municpilaity. I know they extended revision technica for protests, so hopefully extension for permiso de circulacions...of course the least of so many other concerns

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:42 am

gregf wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:36 am
My suegra flew back to chile last night from uruguay. She is 87, has heart trouble, was more or less alone in uruguay (there to try to sell her property). Family made the decision to fly her back where her family is here in chile, and brave the airports, rather than get stuck in uruguay alone. Uruguay's population is aged, so many viejos... I think that country is going to suffer and be overwhelmed worse than Italy. It was an awful place to be in making that decision, knowing that if she catches the virus, her odds are not great at all.

Last night I just sort laid in bed listening to my kids breathing (moved their beds into our room), thinking about how fucked up everything in the world is about to get. Without a vaccine this doesn't really end without a 12+ month quarantine and social distancing? Maybe some windows where it lets up a bit, but still, a drastically changed landscape. If it lasts that long, I can't even imagine what the economic landscape will be in 2021 and beyond. If I will have a job, etc. It hit me last night just how fragile a position we're in.
Dang,....

One of life's stress tests.

If it helps, I have found most crisis, in retrospect, are often not as bad as they seemed when you are in the eye of the storm.

let's cross our fingers this is one of them.

alextrombone

Post by alextrombone » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:44 am

The extranjerías have made some trámites available online to all regions now (should have done this years ago). I just extended my Solicitud de Visa en Trámite for another 3 months.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:46 am

so the debate about taking fever suppressing drugs. The WHO has come out with a position to not take ibuprofen.

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/int ... irus.shtml

just yesterday my wife was having a fight with a bunch of people in chile claiming that was fake news and lies. Chileans love their painkillers, even if it kills them.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:51 am

justgoinghome wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:59 am
Hi all,

Firstly I've been a lurker on this excellent forum for some months in order to gather information about and prepare for our long (months) holiday to Chile. Thanks to everyone who posts here and to admin for such an excellent resource.

Cut to the chase; I'd like to urgently access a coronavirus test in Santiago for one of our party in order to be cleared to fly out on what we assume is going to be one of the last commercial flights for some time. The issue I have is that it looks like they are now only testing those with severe symptoms or those who've had contact with known cases.

Does anyone here have any information about whether it's possible to pay for a test at this point, and if so whats the best/safest way of getting it done?
Good question.

I got my people looking in to it

We just had some clients ask too for the test.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:55 am

admin wrote:
tiagoabner wrote:

You're correct. However, my read on the exact wording that they used is that they have extended all expired cédulas for a year. Our previous cédula went bad in the middle of 2018 (we were out of the country then, and we only got back in 2019), so we decided to take care of this now.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:07 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:55 am
admin wrote:
tiagoabner wrote:

You're correct. However, my read on the exact wording that they used is that they have extended all expired cédulas for a year. Our previous cédula went bad in the middle of 2018 (we were out of the country then, and we only got back in 2019), so we decided to take care of this now.
Anyone know if this will apply to driver's licenses?
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain