Corona Virus! (OLD)

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Corona Virus!

Post by admin » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:37 pm

so interesting. I just seen a report out of Australia, contradicting china, that they believed the virus was still only infectious after the onset of symptoms.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:44 pm

Yep just keep your immune system strong. The basics: hygiene; minimize stress; quality sleep; diet heavy on animal fats minimizing sugar and starch; keep body inhospitable to infection - sodium bicarbonate, magnesium, vitamin C, vitamin D3, iodine, etc.; avoid forced rushed properly untested "cures" :alien:

See you on the other side of this craziness.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:31 pm

Canada closed its border with The China, all flights cancelled, only going into HK now.....also the two Canadian cases (so far) are both in home isolation, also Canada can’t decide what to do with the 200 or so Canadians that want to be flown out of China, really the big worry is another Beirut, with 300,000 Canadians in HK they don’t want to set a precedence......
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:01 am

Singapore has closed its boarders to all Chinese travel.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-e ... llers-stem

I also see the American Airlines pilots union is asking a Texas judge for a injunction to stop their pilots and crews from having to fly in to China at all.

So, even though the U.S. probably will not do it, there could be a defacto boarder closing just via the courts.

However the scariest thing from that case was not the coronavirus. It was the admission that there average pilot age was over 60 years old. :lol:

Still hunting for a confirmed case in South America. Sure it is only a matter of time, but on some level, time is your biggest friend in these sorts of things. The longer it can be stretches out, natural herd immunity has a chance to kick in as the novelty of the "noval coronavirus" sort of wears off in the population.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:12 am

However the scariest thing from that case was not the coronavirus. It was the admission that there average pilot age was over 60 years old.

I don't find that scary, it means they actually learned how to fly on real planes and not just computer simulations.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:18 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:01 am
Still hunting for a confirmed case in South America. Sure it is only a matter of time, but on some level, time is your biggest friend in these sorts of things. The longer it can be stretches out, natural herd immunity has a chance to kick in as the novelty of the "noval coronavirus" sort of wears off in the population.
No cases yet according to https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6

As far as I could see, there are no direct flights from South America to China, so that will slow things a bit... I saw that Argentina estimates it will get here by March. There are lots of Chinese here, mostly running supermarkets, but apparently most of them are originally from Fujian Province. It seems Wuhan is a big university city, I'm thinking a big part of the danger of spreading the virus will be foreign students returning from there (remember the virus has been active since December), rather than Chinese travelers.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:37 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:01 am

All the PDI guys in the airport were wearing masks yesterday when I passed through. Only in Chile - not in Argentina or Brazil.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:52 pm

The first Canadian case was sent home from the hospital.....it appears if handled properly it’s no big deal the guy’s wife who was confirmed to have the virus was never hospitalized and stayed home.....

I would like to see the information on the deaths from China.
It's all about the wine.

El Ping

Post by El Ping » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:41 am

Meanwhile back in Oz...
https://www.theage.com.au/national/stay ... 53whu.html

Interesting to read above that the PDI are wearing masks...

I'm back at the end of next month... normally lots of Chinese on LA 800/801 ... yes I know... its not in their dna.....

Flights in November were less than full due to trouble in Chile

We shall see what we shall see... don't think my Qantas shares will be paying much of a div this year....

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:19 am

El Ping wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:41 am
Meanwhile back in Oz...
https://www.theage.com.au/national/stay ... 53whu.html

Interesting to read above that the PDI are wearing masks...

I'm back at the end of next month... normally lots of Chinese on LA 800/801 ... yes I know... its not in their dna.....

Flights in November were less than full due to trouble in Chile

We shall see what we shall see... don't think my Qantas shares will be paying much of a div this year....
Latam flight Sydney Santiago last Thursday absolutely packed, not a spare seat, many Chinese and other Asians on board the flight, no one had masks.
ALso LA 800 flight Santiago to Auckland at new year's was absolutely packed. Had the misfortune to fly Qantas, Christchurch Sydney.last week, god thats gone downhill since I last remember , dont blame the coronavirus for lack of div from Qantas, blame it on a terrible airline and crap service from angry middle aged caucasian flight attendants.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:41 am

seems the u.s. has declared a health emergency, and is not going to admit anyone that traveled to China recently except u.s. citizen and residents.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1128156

that should, in principle, curb the ability of chinese and Asian travelers to make connecting flights to south America. obviously, not going to stop it, but slow the flow to a trickle.

If they can slow the flow of people frkm asia, until say late February to march when there is an expected peek, then south America might skip the worse of it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:45 am

also the flight attendants union is asking the government to get involved and set guidelines for those working flights to China.