Corona Virus! (OLD)

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
hlf2888

Re: Corona Virus!

Post by hlf2888 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:21 am

I think the age demographics from around the world will demonstrate huge government payouts will be saved and that savings amount (think average pension x 20 years x several billion recipients globally) will be substantially higher than short term economic damage and health costs.

I do not call it a conspiracy, too many powerful people in those age demographics to allow a conspiracy that targets them, just an opportunity for governments around the world.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:15 am

hlf2888 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:21 am
I think the age demographics from around the world will demonstrate huge government payouts will be saved and that savings amount (think average pension x 20 years x several billion recipients globally) will be substantially higher than short term economic damage and health costs.

I do not call it a conspiracy, too many powerful people in those age demographics to allow a conspiracy that targets them, just an opportunity for governments around the world.
Possibly, hmm, not sure I'm entirely convinced though on that theory, but nothing surprises me nowdays. An opportunity for a "natural" cull off? Still there are a lot more costs, it wouldn't just be short term economic effects, if this thing wipes out say 100 million people, we are talking very long term economic pain, generational economic.pain, which will lead to wars, politcal strife , more civil strife etc, worldwide. A very high price to pay to cut pension spending.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:34 am

hlf2888,

How was your flight?

I need to decide if I have to postpone my upcoming trip in a few days. Perusing the US news and then comparing it to Chile is not encouraging.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:40 am

GringoVikingo wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:02 am
Whats the size of the fine for not voting?
If it's less than 100 000 Peso, I'm not voting!
Back when it was mandatory I believe from 0,5 to 3 UTM.

- Søren Kierkegaard

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:12 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:40 pm
from that article:
The testing situation is so bad that Marc Lipsitch, an epidemiology professor at Harvard, says that health officials and journalists should stop reporting the number of positive cases in the United States as “new cases.” Instead, he wrote by email, “they should refer to them as ‘newly discovered cases,’ in order to remove the impression that the number of cases reported has any bearing on the actual number.”
FYI, Harvard is closing down its campus. Classes are going online, and it is telling students not to return after spring break, dorm students have until Saturday to move out.

Many universities are doing the same.
I have just heard from a few work contacts in New England. Connecticut will close their schools for at least three weeks, MA and RI are most likely following suit.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:02 pm

The WHO has declared this a pandemic.

how nice.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:07 pm

everyone relax.

If the WHO thinks it is a pandemic, then it is probably over.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:08 pm

LATAM has announced new tickets will have a waiver for changes but has anyone called and asked about a fee waiver for changes on previously bought tickets? If no one has asked, I will be asking in a couple of days.

- Søren Kierkegaard

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:21 pm

I have the flight radar 24 App on my phone, I like to occassionally look up what flights are flying overhead, (the high altitude ones at 30000 feet ) normally just for curiosity. I have noticed an increase in flights that just say private owner and shows their flight path, private jets mainly. From Puerto Natales or Punta Arenas it seems . Few people heading down to their bolt holes I imagine.
Luxury Secluded houses in NZ are renting for 5000 dollars a night, the wealthy from Singapore and other parts of Asia are booking them out for 12 months to hunker down .
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:37 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:34 am
hlf2888,

How was your flight?

I need to decide if I have to postpone my upcoming trip in a few days. Perusing the US news and then comparing it to Chile is not encouraging.
eeuu.. I would postpone for at least 6 months... or indefinitely.

Travelling in the time of coronavirus. Travel dates March 8th and 9th.

Five hour bus trip from 7th region to Santiago. Lower level, freezing. Guess they don’t know the virus hates heat. Nobody coughed except me, three times.

Santiago airport. Everyone had a slightly paranoid look about them, or was that just me projecting? One out of 100 had a face mask. Clusters of people formed and dispersed. At customs, PDI wore masks. They were very quick. Two people coughing in the lounge waiting for the Air Canada flight. Used Youtube to learn how to properly install a 3M 95 face mask. Mom and I were the only people with face masks. Two others boarded the plane after us with facemasks. None of the crew wore face masks. About 6 coughers on the plane. A large American man sitting across the aisle from me coughed all over my food, I saw the spittle droplets land. I asked him if he could cover his mouth when coughing. He said okay. Not sure if he was a spreader or smoker, don’t think smokers exude droplets. The stewardess gave me another dinner and I ate sideways with my back to him.

Toronto International Airport. No facemasks on customs agents (because it was a flight from Chile and not China or Italy?). Next, in the main rail station of Toronto. Seeing more facemasks, probably 1 in 50. None of the servers in the food court have face masks. Nobody has goggles. Convincing my 90 year old Mom to wear a face mask required chocolate negotiations. We will get hot food at the food court to take on the train, probably pierogies with black truffles, carmelized onions and sour cream, been deprived of creative food for so long.

The train was uneventful. We are home now, asymptomatic, hopefully not infected and self-monitoring. All the stores in my little city in southern Ontario are out of rubbing alcohol. People are waking up quickly. Grateful that I had bottles of rubbing alcohol from the last epidemic. Being a paranoid hypochondriac helps with epidemic planning.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:49 pm

so, the white house has classified all meetings and discussion related to the virus.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/03/11/whi ... s-say.html

guess what that means?

Many of the best experts in the world, can not participate because they don't have clearance.

When asked at a press conference just a min ago if the administration's response was too slow, Trump did Trump with, "CNN fake news".

Back when that moron was elected, I said we would all regret it, it will just be a matter of how much.

This I believe is the one, we are all going to regret.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:01 pm