Corona Virus! (OLD)

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Corona Virus!

Post by admin » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:18 am

probably more disturbing, is how few people working with highly toxic chemicals in chile use a mask at all.

It is kind of like how there is never a shortage of levels on the shelf.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:36 am

admin wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:16 am
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:58 am
And in Chile, masks are supposedly out of stock.
a bullshit.

I just walked through a sodimac the other day with a shelves full every sort of mask you could imagine. from the hyper expensive, 3M, hanta virus rated respirators down to those stupid little surgical masks.
I ordered swim goggles from Amazon last week just to be safe for our travel back which we will probably bump ahead by a few weeks. ( we still have enough masks from the last epidemic).Swim goggles arrived in 4 days. Amazon had plenty of masks but the prices have gone up almost 100%.

Here is more info. As usual, truth mixed with marketing but I have learned to read between the lines. One must, in these days of misinformation.

"Dr. Andrew W. Saul, an international expert on vitamin therapy, says, “The coronavirus can be dramatically slowed or stopped completely with the immediate widespread use of high doses of vitamin C. Bowel tolerance levels of C taken in divided doses throughout the day, is a clinically proven antiviral, without equal.”

Saul adds, “Dr. Robert F. Cathcart, who had extensive experience treating viral diseases remarked, ’I have not seen any flu yet that was not cured or markedly ameliorated by massive doses of vitamin.”

Professor Victor Marcial-Vega of the Caribe School of Medicine responds, “Given the relatively high rate of success of intravenous vitamin C in viral diseases and my observation of clinical improvement within 2 to 3 hours of treatment, I strongly believe it would be my first recommendation in the management of the coronavirus.”

He adds, “I have also used intravenous vitamin C to treat patients with influenza, dengue fever, and chikungunya, for 24 years.”

Dr. Jeffery Allyn Ruterbusch, Associate Professor at Central Michigan University, says, “I believe all of us agree on the greatly increased benefits of vitamin C when people are placed under any stressful condition.”

Dr. Damien Downing, former editor of the Journal of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine, writes: “Swine flu, bird flu, and SARS, all developed in selenium-deficient China. When patients were given selenium, viral mutation rates dropped and immunity improved.”

Several other authorities agreed that high doses of vitamin C, along with 3,000 IU of vitamin D, and 20 milligrams of zinc, was a good combination to help fight viral diseases. And Drs. Carolyn Dean and Thomas Levy, both world authorities on magnesium, stressed that the mineral is involved in 1,000 metabolic reactions and that maintaining adequate levels improves immunity. Another over-riding opinion was that few people know that high doses of C increase immunity and destroy viral diseases.

This information is not new. During the great polio epidemic of 1949-50 Dr. Frederick R. Klenner, a family physician in North Carolina, treated 60 polio patients with high doses of intravenous vitamin C. None developed paralysis. This discovery should have made headlines around the world but Dr. Klenner’s news fell on deaf ears.

Later, Klenner proved that high doses of C could also be effective as treatments for meningitis, pneumonia, measles, hepatitis and other viral and bacterial diseases. Even the bite of a rattlesnake. Again, only scorn from the medical profession.

What does this mean to North Americans? Patients with a diagnosis of coronavirus should be given intravenous vitamin C, and it will save lives. The problem is that most doctors still refuse to believe IVC is effective.

I’m not your doctor. But my family and friends know to visit a health food store and stock up on Medi C Plus, a powdered form of vitamin C that I developed which allows for high doses to be easily consumed and which contains needed lysine and magnesium. Vitamin C pills will do, but you must swallow many of them. Start taking 2000 mg twice a day to build up immunity. If flu symptoms develop, take 2,000 mg every hour up to bowel tolerance, and see a doctor. Large doses of C cause loose stools. But better to sit on a toilet than under a gravestone.

Dr. Ken Walker (Gifford-Jones) is a graduate of the University of Toronto and The Harvard Medical School".

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:44 am

Also check out Dr. Sircus' protocol which includes the above and also sodium bicarbonate, magnesium, vitamin D3, iodine and others.

Lots of sodium bicarbonate at the local hiperLider yesterday 8) , no N95 masks but I will be checking out the Sodimac in the next hour.

I already have a box of N95 masks and goggles due to the supposed arrival of volcano ash to the central zone a couple years back. Sort of like I was prepared for 27F because I stocked up for the supposed rolling power blackouts from a few years before. The irony.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:21 am

I'm still calling this an over reaction or a conspiracy theory or a false flag operation , not sure and will probably never know, but I dont think it's the end times or the great cull of our time. Guess we will see come Marzo.
Do I have these figures right?
.003 % of population infected in China, 2% death rate of those infected, so .00008% deaths in general population in China . Shit even if these figures were underestimated by a factor of ten thousand which doesn't seem that credible coming up to a month of the extreme containment strategies in China, it's still fuck all in the over all population, 1.4 billion is a big number.
It might be .08% death rate of general population instead if that were the case and there were a million dead in China, which wouldn't be easy to cover up judging by the chinese citizens tenacity to cover this and expose their govt .
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

mem

Post by mem » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:26 am

Now that this virus is obviously worse/more deadly than SARS in terms of deaths...a lot of people are still poopooing it because it's not as bad as 2009 h1n1....that supposedly killed 203k.

Well I looked into this and the truth is h1n1 ran for 1 year and 6 months. From the day that the WHO declared an international energency to the day the WHO declared it was over....there were a little over 18k deaths. That's over a year and a half. It was only many years later that some studies were done with different metrics and extrapolation to arrive at this 203k number

So I compared the number of h1n1 deaths at the same point as coronavirus deaths. 13 days after the WHO declared a global emergency. H1n1 was less than 70 deaths...13 days later after the declaration

This virus has killed over 1100 13 days later after the WHO declaration

I'm sure many years after coronavirus there will be a study done with different metrics and extrapolation that will say actually zillions more were killed from coronavirus.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:44 am

mem wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:26 am
Now that this virus is obviously worse/more deadly than SARS in terms of deaths...a lot of people are still poopooing it because it's not as bad as 2009 h1n1....that supposedly killed 203k.

Well I looked into this and the truth is h1n1 ran for 1 year and 6 months. From the day that the WHO declared an international energency to the day the WHO declared it was over....there were a little over 18k deaths. That's over a year and a half. It was only many years later that some studies were done with different metrics and extrapolation to arrive at this 203k number

So I compared the number of h1n1 deaths at the same point as coronavirus deaths. 13 days after the WHO declared a global emergency. H1n1 was less than 70 deaths...13 days later after the declaration

This virus has killed over 1100 13 days later after the WHO declaration

I'm sure many years after coronavirus there will be a study done with different metrics and extrapolation that will say actually zillions more were killed from coronavirus.
That maybe true , but anything anyone says maybe or may not be true, like the doctor that said 60 million people worldwide may die from it , that sounds like a big headline grabbing number but it's still only 0.8 percent of the world's population , ( in a typical year about 0.9 percent of the population die ) , so spread over a year or two it's a big spike but not something that will mean the end of humanity.
Bad luck indeed, if you're in the 60 million (if that's even a possibility) but statistically not going to have a long term impact on the world, although it will likely have a bigger impact in local areas with some regions and countries losing a lot larger percentage and will be devastating for them.

Now that is just one doctors opinion others say completely different things, like this will be over by April or it's just another seasonal flu we will have to live with .

Whatever the truth is , the best defence and one that should be employed all the time anyway is hand washing, lathering up for a good 20 seconds, before you eat, when you return home etc.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:56 am

I think that the main issue here is that there isn't enough data available from a reliable source. The Chinese government is far from being transparent. It's too early to run the numbers, we need to have a large enough sample size to be able to use statistics.

We'll probably take at least 6 months to have better data.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:21 am

yea, it is a classic case of exposure numbers. like car accidents vs. airplanes.

Yea, your chance of dying in a car accident is far greater than an airplane, especially if you never fly.

It has been pointed out the number should be crunched against the hours exposed to planes vs. cars. for example, the death rate of pilots that drive cars.

similar case here. if this bug never even makes it to south America, how useful is it to compare it to say doctors' infection rates in a single wuhan hospitals? how about being locked on a ship with bunch of infected people?

I sure don't plan to spend a lot of time hanging around cruise ships, for any reason.

on some level, we should take heart that even with extraordinary long and repeat exposure time, so far about 40% infection rate is not that bad. what is measles? tuberculosis? etc.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:10 pm

Mask stock Sodimac San Antonio not that large. Would easily be cleaned out in less than half an hour after someone cries wolf.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:28 pm

One of the banks in Nz says virus expected to shrink nz economic growth , expected to be negative 0.1 percent this quarter, before this they were expecting growth of 0.5 percent, how will Chile fare?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:11 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:10 pm
Mask stock Sodimac San Antonio not that large. Would easily be cleaned out in less than half an hour after someone cries wolf.
Thus, why I am going with my " trout lake patagonia quarantine " procedure. If I am going to be stuck on a boat, it should be surrounded by trout.

If someone wants to sneeze on me, they are going to have spend a pile of money and effort to even get sufficiently close to be a threat.

:lol:

If this all turns out to be alarmist b.s., my cover story is that I was just out trout fishing.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:57 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:56 am
I think that the main issue here is that there isn't enough data available from a reliable source. The Chinese government is far from being transparent. It's too early to run the numbers, we need to have a large enough sample size to be able to use statistics.

We'll probably take at least 6 months to have better data.
I picked up this link on the BA expat forum: https://www.thailandmedical.news/ Thailand and Singapore have the most Covid-19 cases outside of China, and Thailand should be free of any censorship by China, so maybe this website gives an independent viewpoint. They talk about the transmission mechanisms (presumably like the common cold, which is also a coronavirus), how long the virus can live, and so on.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!