ACTIVE CRISIS ZONES

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
Jamers41
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:11 pm

Re: ACTIVE CRISIS ZONES

Post by Jamers41 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:14 am

admin wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:10 pm
I'm sorry, but I have to ask.

What the fuck are you people reading or being told that would even put those shithole industrial low class, toxic and social disasters on your "to be considered as a place to live" radar screen?

I mean if someone is offering to pay you a crazy amount of money to live there, well kind of understand; but, otherwise not really.
I'm not sure if this is directed at me or in reference to some of the places I've mentioned here, but what I'm "reading" or "being told" is neither: it's information I've gathered by visiting and hanging around those places myself. Some of us don't have budgets for places like Las Condes nor are we satisfied with trying to raise a family inside a concrete box just to be in a somewhat central location. We used to live in downtown Santiago about 4 blocks from Santa Lucía before my daughter was born and I'm quite happy that we moved to Puente Alto and my 3 year old is not exposed to tear gas or seeing the destruction up close.

User avatar
RuneTheChookcha
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1960
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:02 pm
Location: Valparaíso, Cerro Barón

Re: ACTIVE CRISIS ZONES

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:16 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:54 pm
San Antonio: CUT (asshole commies) directed port worker union (overpaid useful idiots) have said that they will be on strike Monday and Tuesday. Not clear is if other ports like Valpo will participate and other unions like transport will participate. These CUT sponsored marches usually end up in violence <sigh...>
Right now, a huge cruiser, and an unknown to me EVERGREEN (painted in dark green colour) container ship are in the port. Can't see from the window if the loading/unloading is in progress, but this cargo ship has never been to the Valpo port before.

User avatar
RuneTheChookcha
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1960
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:02 pm
Location: Valparaíso, Cerro Barón

Re: ACTIVE CRISIS ZONES

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:19 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:56 am
San Antonio, tomorrow, 26 November: roads will be blocked probably like the day where the march made it to cuico Santo Domingo and resulted in a huge fight and tons of damage.
The biobio radio is calling to be prepared for the tomorrow's thing in Valparaíso:

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... onal.shtml

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 7952
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: ACTIVE CRISIS ZONES

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:34 pm

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:16 pm
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:54 pm
San Antonio: CUT (asshole commies) directed port worker union (overpaid useful idiots) have said that they will be on strike Monday and Tuesday. Not clear is if other ports like Valpo will participate and other unions like transport will participate. These CUT sponsored marches usually end up in violence <sigh...>
Right now, a huge cruiser, and an unknown to me EVERGREEN (painted in dark green colour) container ship are in the port. Can't see from the window if the loading/unloading is in progress, but this cargo ship has never been to the Valpo port before.
Probably a divert from San Antonio. If this keeps up, Valpo will replace San Antonio as the #1 cargo port and I'm sure Sharpie will claim credit for it.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 7952
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: ACTIVE CRISIS ZONES

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:38 pm

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:19 pm
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:56 am
San Antonio, tomorrow, 26 November: roads will be blocked probably like the day where the march made it to cuico Santo Domingo and resulted in a huge fight and tons of damage.
The biobio radio is calling to be prepared for the tomorrow's thing in Valparaíso:

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... onal.shtml
Just got back from walking to and back from the still surviving hiperLider due to all micros and colectivos en paro. Lider was improving the protection on the front of the building and putting up razor wire on the perimeter fence. A local school was installing metal doors. Some chubby POS chilena said "que es eso wea" when seeing the razor wire installation at the Lider. Saw people walking in the opposite direction to today's port strike.

Yeah, que es eso wea...
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Naolin
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 11:13 pm

Re: ACTIVE CRISIS ZONES

Post by Naolin » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:28 pm

Mega is reporting there is another protest outside of the congress (by the copper statue) in Valpo right now, with traffic cut on Avenida Argentina

Meanwhile, Tele13 is reporting that traffic is cut off at La Concepcion in Providencia for a protest headed up by highschoolers

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 7952
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: ACTIVE CRISIS ZONES

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:29 pm

Any firefighters here, is this something out of the norm?


Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 5.28.10 PM.jpg
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

User avatar
Dosedmonkey
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 987
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:27 am

Re: ACTIVE CRISIS ZONES

Post by Dosedmonkey » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:34 pm

admin wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:10 pm
I'm sorry, but I have to ask.

What the fuck are you people reading or being told that would even put those shithole industrial low class, toxic and social disasters on your "to be considered as a place to live" radar screen?

I mean if someone is offering to pay you a crazy amount of money to live there, well kind of understand; but, otherwise not really.
Well I ended up moving out North of Santiago, Colina direction. Much better area and still some cheaper condominiums closer to Colina. Burglaries pretty big, but we got a big dog to solve that. The house that got burgled was the ones in the outer corner of the square condominium street, as no other houses really looked on to it we figured.

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 7952
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: ACTIVE CRISIS ZONES

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:26 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:29 pm
Any firefighters here, is this something out of the norm?



Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 5.28.10 PM.jpg
OK, I figured this out with the help of my wife who's brother served as a firefighter. It is probably a combo of things all happening at once: the potential intentional and unintentional fires that could be set tonight through tomorrow because of the paro marches, the natural forest fire potential of this drought plagued area AND the extremely high winds right now that could make any fire spread massively. Also, barricades make it impossible or delay the firefighters in getting to the station or being picked up by the truck on the way to the fire, thus bed down at the station till the order is rescinded.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 19728
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: ACTIVE CRISIS ZONES

Post by admin » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:28 pm

:oops:
Jamers41 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:14 am
admin wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:10 pm
I'm sorry, but I have to ask.

What the fuck are you people reading or being told that would even put those shithole industrial low class, toxic and social disasters on your "to be considered as a place to live" radar screen?

I mean if someone is offering to pay you a crazy amount of money to live there, well kind of understand; but, otherwise not really.
I'm not sure if this is directed at me or in reference to some of the places I've mentioned here, but what I'm "reading" or "being told" is neither: it's information I've gathered by visiting and hanging around those places myself. Some of us don't have budgets for places like Las Condes nor are we satisfied with trying to raise a family inside a concrete box just to be in a somewhat central location. We used to live in downtown Santiago about 4 blocks from Santa Lucía before my daughter was born and I'm quite happy that we moved to Puente Alto and my 3 year old is not exposed to tear gas or seeing the destruction up close.
no, no.

did not mean that to come off as personal at all.

I was talking in general. unless you have a good economic / family, etc reason, why move all the way to south America just to live in a sociological crisis zone.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Jamers41
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:11 pm

Re: ACTIVE CRISIS ZONES

Post by Jamers41 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:22 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:28 pm
:oops:
Jamers41 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:14 am
admin wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:10 pm
I'm sorry, but I have to ask.

What the fuck are you people reading or being told that would even put those shithole industrial low class, toxic and social disasters on your "to be considered as a place to live" radar screen?

I mean if someone is offering to pay you a crazy amount of money to live there, well kind of understand; but, otherwise not really.
I'm not sure if this is directed at me or in reference to some of the places I've mentioned here, but what I'm "reading" or "being told" is neither: it's information I've gathered by visiting and hanging around those places myself. Some of us don't have budgets for places like Las Condes nor are we satisfied with trying to raise a family inside a concrete box just to be in a somewhat central location. We used to live in downtown Santiago about 4 blocks from Santa Lucía before my daughter was born and I'm quite happy that we moved to Puente Alto and my 3 year old is not exposed to tear gas or seeing the destruction up close.
no, no.

did not mean that to come off as personal at all.

I was talking in general. unless you have a good economic / family, etc reason, why move all the way to south America just to live in a sociological crisis zone.
Oh ok, sorry that's not how I first interpreted the question, thought it was related to certain towns mentioned here. In my case, there's a reason I chose Chile, due to its reputation (well earned or not) of being stable by South American standards. I was once considering doing a study abroad experience in Argentina, mostly because of the cultural factor I guess (there's more awareness of ARG among Americans than of Chile for sure). However, a good friend of mine (Latina) heard this and told me to consider Chile instead. Thus the first time I came here as an international student (2008-2009). Then I returned for my gf/wife. Just stuck around as I was able to access some relatively decent jobs in IT (really related to data analysis) without having much formal studies in that at the time. Ironically enough I am now formally studying very close to that (control de gestión or "management control") at night classes. I once had the dream of being a diplomat so I have a degree in international political science.....you could say that's what originally got me here. When I came back to Chile, even though it was indefinite, I was just expecting to teach English for a bit while seeing if the relationship with my then girlfriend worked out, when I stumbled into a job analyzing health data. If it wasn't for that I would have had to return to the US at some point (as we all know here English teaching jobs just don't cut it for living expenses).

I suppose I have a pretty relaxed personality and so I tolerate things here that other Americans would not (my brothers wouldn't). I also knew from a young age (teenage years) that I wanted to live outside of the US, I always felt that Amurica was kind of a distorted, odd world and almost not real life compared to most countries....that sounds funny but I'm not sure how else to explain it. Now I've been here over 9 years and at this point there would be things that I would have to adjust to again in moving back to gringoland......which may happen, if we move North it would likely be more for my daughter's benefit, in order for her to experience at least part of her childhood there and enjoy interacting with my family since her Chilean family here is pretty small.

Anyway that's my story.....one day when I am retired and have no need to earn income, we can consider living in Frutillar, Puerto Varas, or one of those other cute places in the south.......we'll promise not to make too much noise as neighbors :wink:

User avatar
hlf2888
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 813
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:19 pm
Location: seventh region

Re: ACTIVE CRISIS ZONES

Post by hlf2888 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:41 pm

URGENTE incendio en 2 ote con 2 sur, Talca...real time video on Fbook page of en linea maule

Post Reply