The Chile Economy, Social Crisis and Virus Impact

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
admin
Site Admin

Re: The Chile Economy, Social Crisis and Virus Impact

Post by admin » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:53 pm

so the comunist mayor Jadue, tried to go to plaza itialia and got attacked and ran out of the plaza.

I guess having looting crap in common, does not automatically make you friends. :lol:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:57 pm

There are protests going on in downtown Santiago, with an estimate of 25 thousand protestors. They're fighting carabineros and they're burning churches.

https://m.cooperativa.cl/noticias/pais/ ... 63851.html
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:17 pm

This looks to be the biggest incident of protest/disorder since at least the end of March when I came back to Chile. In Talagante they have blocked the entrance and exit to the motorway, put barricades up and there look from the videos to be perhaps some hundreds of people there.

In 2019 I felt that the peaceful protests benefited the left, and the violence and criminal behaviour didn´t seem to help the right. People turned a blind eye to it because they wanted to focus on the justice and inequality aspects.

I wonder if it will play out differently this time. I think more people will feel sick of it by now, some people will be worried about protests spreading the virus, the protesters won´t get majority of support this time, and may end up being more of a hardcore minority at least until there is a change in the pandemic situation.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:58 am

so seems to have been fairly contained to the known trouble spots.

still digging through the news, but looks like one death. they atracted the police in victoria with guns, and the police shot dead one in a shootout. one civilian, and three police injured.

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... echo.shtml

seems the police were widely authorized to shoot back if attacked across the country.

two churches burned. a super market was looted. all in central Santiago.

seems they attacked the police station in puerto varas with rocks. puerto montt had like 137 arrests, mostly related to breaking the quartine.

still looking for more news.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:16 am

seems there is another possible death. a 26 year old showed up at a clinic with a bullet in him and later died, but not clear where that came from.

https://m.cooperativa.cl/noticias/site/ ... 72034.html

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:28 am

admin wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:58 am

seems the police were widely authorized to shoot back if attacked across the country.

Standby for all the bs about human rights violations then from the bias left wing ignorant foreign media, who lap up all the bullshit offered up to them by Chilean leftwing activists.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:35 am

41southchile wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:28 am
admin wrote:

Standby for all the bs about human rights violations then from the bias left wing ignorant foreign media, who lap up all the bullshit offered up to them by Chilean leftwing activists.
Actually the BBC's report was very fair (and the Guardian has not covered it at all as far as I can see)

Chile protests turn violent on anniversary

Demonstrations in Chile against inequality have turned violent as vandals burned two churches, virtually destroying one of them.

A police headquarters was also firebombed and shops were looted in the protests, which started peacefully.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-54594707

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:37 am

Britkid wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:35 am
41southchile wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:28 am
admin wrote:

Actually the BBC's report was very fair (and the Guardian has not covered it at all as far as I can see)

Chile protests turn violent on anniversary

Demonstrations in Chile against inequality have turned violent as vandals burned two churches, virtually destroying one of them.

A police headquarters was also firebombed and shops were looted in the protests, which started peacefully.

https://www.b.com/news/world-latin-america-54594707
Yeah they not too bad, its others I was thinking of

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:41 am

Yesterday during the day time, around lunch time, there was a family atmosphere of peaceful protest, old men, children, dancers, singers etc. Then after dark it gets nasty and all the people turning on the TV in the evening only show the live coverage. If all the protestors had gone home before sunset, then the evening news would show the peaceful protests that happened earlier in the day. So the violence actual means people forget about the peaecful protesters earlier in the day, or don't even realize.

Kind of hard to focus people's attention on the peaceful demands when there is a church spire on fire and falling over. I think the key to making it a truly peaceful protest is not only for the majority of protestors to be peaceful themselves, but some prepared to have a chat with others and try and calm down the violence.

I also think all the climbing over the monument and painting and graffiti is a bad look for the protestors.

Similar to the US protests this year - in daylight mostly peaceful, after dark mostly trouble makers.

Unlike the original 18-O, which was violence that later turned to peaceful protest some days later, this was the reverse. Started peaceful, then turned violent.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:44 am

seems in plaza itialia there was a massive fight between the football huligians / drug gangs.

There were no police anywhere involved, so they had to settle for fighting eachother.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:48 am

I won't post the link but even Al Jazeera led with "Chile rallies turn violent", talking of "night-time violence and looting" and “masked vandals” and saying that the protests were "far smaller than the largest protests of 2019". At this rate AL Jazeera might even be able to get itself unbanned from this forum lol.

I got to say though, this wasn't just Santiago protests. I skimmed the local news sites yesterday and saw incidents in Rancagua, La Serena, I think San Antonio, and a few other places I can't remember. I also know from whatsapp groups with photographics and video evidence that the blocked the ruta 78 motorway, both at Malloco and at Talagante, and I didn't see either reported on the news. Looks like much of south of Chile was very quiet though?

To your last post, it looks like the poice were there early on, backed out when they were outnumbered, and came back in and took over later in the day (I think it was about 10pm from memory).

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:53 am

Britkid wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:41 am
Yesterday during the day time, around lunch time, there was a family atmosphere of peaceful protest, old men, children, dancers, singers etc. Then after dark it gets nasty and all the people turning on the TV in the evening only show the live coverage. If all the protestors had gone home before sunset, then the evening news would show the peaceful protests that happened earlier in the day. So the violence actual means people forget about the peaecful protesters earlier in the day, or don't even realize.

Kind of hard to focus people's attention on the peaceful demands when there is a church spire on fire and falling over. I think the key to making it a truly peaceful protest is not only for the majority of protestors to be peaceful themselves, but some prepared to have a chat with others and try and calm down the violence.

I also think all the climbing over the monument and painting and graffiti is a bad look for the protestors.

Similar to the US protests this year - in daylight mostly peaceful, after dark mostly trouble makers.

Unlike the original 18-O, which was violence that later turned to peaceful protest some days later, this was the reverse. Started peaceful, then turned violent.
Violence and protests in Chile are synonymous, very rare is the protest in Chile that doesn't end in Violence. Either by those on the protest itself, or those thugs that hijack it, been that way ever since I've lived here I reckon.

Nonone cares about bad looks or images in those protests, the violence comes from the dregs of society (the leftbehinds or whatever the liberals want to call them) causing mayhem, as as one of my friends unkindly likes to say the "first generation that have worn shoes" . Then you mix that in with so many in the sub 30 generation that doesn't have a friggin clue about much, and think the whole world is against them, a toxic mix of idealism/naievism and ignorance, they support the ones initiating violence in a mob mentality , taking selfies in burning churches for example, thats about the only image they care about.