The Chile Economy, Social Crisis and Virus Impact

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
41southchile

Re: The Chile Economy, Social Crisis and Virus Impact

Post by 41southchile » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:47 am

admin wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:07 am
I just don't see a proper civil war ever happening in chile.

There might, might, be able to muster small insurgent type groups that are more of annoyance than a real threat; but, even that is a stretch. Hell, I have doubts about the chilean military ability to sustain a fight for very long.

Think about this. What goes in to training and equipping an effective fighting force?

A lot of money and a large pool of existing expertise in warfair. Start with chile has no military industrial complex. Everything would have to be imported. There is probably no one in the country that even produces combat boots; let alone any weapons.

How many people in this country have ever fired more than a thousand rounds through a gun, any gun? How many people in this country have even held a gun more than once or twice? Forget handling an automatic weapon for the moment. Just a 12 guage or hand gun.

Lets say, including exmilitary, there are perhaps a few hundred thousand people with any firearms experience at all. Even among military and police, most have not fired their weapons more than beyond few hundred rounds in basic training. We found back in October, not even the police had fired a shotgun more than a couple times durring training.

Eliminate everyone with that experience over 30. War is generally a young persons game. Mostly male. So, down to a few 10's of thousand, even eligible. Not that older people could not fight, just statistically they are less inclined to fight. Just like older people tend to be less interested in immigrating to a new country.

Now, equip, organize, and train them. Probably going to run about $5,000 per solider, with nothing fancy. Just a basic, automic weapon, amo, etc.

Now, try and get say 10 thousand chileans to showup at dawn for training.

O.k., that gets you some cannon fodder. How about leaders?

Where you going to find sufficient experienced NCOs? How about officers with experience? How about a general or two with a clue about tactics and strategies? There is probably no more than a few hundred people in the country with any sort of combat experience (mostly x-military that did some contractor work after leaving the military).

Now obviously, plenty of armies have gotten on the job training; but, typically that learning curve is expensive as it takes big forces, to sustain big losses, while the commanders figure out what the hell they are doing (or get killed themselves trying). Historically that is at least a couple year process. Getting slaughtered en mass is not exactly good for recruiting quatas

Now, as a general rule of war, for every guy behind the tigger, you need 10 to 20 people supporting them. Everything from logistics to simply providing food and shelter. Hard to fight a war, when your troops need to hold down a day job.

Now, organize a platoon, a battalian a division?

The problems go on and on.

if you look around the history of modern conflict in latin america, pretty much every single one had massive outside support from state actors (e.g. russia or the united states). The drug cartels were able to support various rebel groups with money and weapons, but there again those groups had to have a day job (protecting the drug industry). Even those never got very big. Like very unusual they ever exceeded 50,000 armed men. Even among the drug cartels, war is generally not good for buisness after a certain level of conflict.

It would have to involve the full on invasion of foriegn actors and resources for a war to get off the ground, and keep it going.
Mapuche need a lighter and a bottle of fuel.
Anarchists an internet connection and basic everyday bomb building materials.
Frustrated right-wingers are loaded to the rafters with ammo in the rural south.
Narco criminals have easy access to weapons.
Police recruits and admissions are down 70 percent.
Social division is widening everyday.
Anyone see where that could all head?.
As I said , maybe war is the wrong word, still doesn't make it any less Chaotic in this powder keg of a complicated country.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:58 am

So, here is some stark evidence of where the communist party and the FA support comes from.

There was a vote to increase the penalties for illegal fireworks. For those that do not know, they are used in poor neighborhoods by the drug dealers to among other things announce the arrival of a shipment, durring funerals of drug dealers, and have been used to attack police.

the PC AND FA VOTED AGAINST IT! They are not even pretending anymore not to be in bed with the drug gangs and criminals.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... iales.html
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:24 am

admin wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:58 am
So, here is some stark evidence of where the communist party and the FA support comes from.

There was a vote to increase the penalties for illegal fireworks. For those that do not know, they are used in poor neighborhoods by the drug dealers to among other things announce the arrival of a shipment, durring funerals of drug dealers, and have been used to attack police.

the PC AND FA VOTED AGAINST IT! They are not even pretending anymore not to be in bed with the drug gangs and criminals.

I just read the article and I couldn't find any reference to the reasoning that the commies used to vote against the project. Do you happen to have any sources on that? I would really love to see the mental progress behind their excuses s.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:45 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:24 am
admin wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:58 am

I just read the article and I couldn't find any reference to the reasoning that the commies used to vote against the project. Do you happen to have any sources on that? I would really love to see the mental progress behind their excuses s.
reasoning?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:25 pm

"...According to the study, the lines to enter the supermarkets in the Metropolitan region would average 225 people and could even exceed 1,000 in the case of the largest rooms..."

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... udio.shtml

I tried to count the line to enter the only HIPER LIDER in Valpo, last Saturday, around 13:30, and there was 267 people in line.
perdimonocle-19

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:33 pm

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:25 pm
I tried to count the line to enter the only HIPER LIDER in Valpo, last Saturday, around 13:30, and there was 267 people in line.
This works very well:
https://www.lider.cl/agenda/

Usually not necessary if one arrives about 3 pm and we are in Paso 2 but the main limiting factor in crowds is San Antonio's cordon sanitario so it is just locals in line and not people from Algarrobo, Santo Domingo, etc.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:36 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:33 pm
RuneTheChookcha wrote:
This works very well:
Of course, I do use it. Showing the door guard the screenshot works perfectly, 5 seconds delay. No one else seems to use it here.
perdimonocle-19

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:33 pm

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:36 pm
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
RuneTheChookcha wrote:
This works very well:
Of course, I do use it. Showing the door guard the screenshot works perfectly, 5 seconds delay. No one else seems to use it here.
I have been using the Lider Pick up service since April. I think I've stepped foot inside a grocery store (and thus in a line at the entrance) like twice since then.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:13 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:33 pm
RuneTheChookcha wrote:
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
RuneTheChookcha wrote:
This works very well:
I have been using the Lider Pick up service since April. I think I've stepped foot inside a grocery store (and thus in a line at the entrance) like twice since then.
If you set your location correctly to your target Lider when shopping online, you can "see" the real stock of specific items at the Lider. For example, I needed two bottles of rubbing alcohol and a bunch of Omega 3 liquid for kids and assumed after checking online there would be plenty on the shelf, of course when I got there, there was none. Back home I once again initiated a purchase to check stock and saw there was plenty so I decided to do a pickup order to force them to find the product in the warehouse. My pickup order for 8 bottles of Omega 3 and 2 for iso alcohol was ready the next day with no stock issues. So Lider online does accurately reflect what each store has in stock...FYI.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:32 pm

Canadians still think investing in water in Chile is a good business they want to be a part of. Our local water company in the news.
Interesting to see Luksic is half owner of Aguas andinas that half own Essal. That half stake in essal is whats being sold for just under 100mUSD to a Canadian company in their first overseas foray .🤔.
What could Luksic possibly know that the Canadians don't?🤔 I can imagine the sales pitch.
https://www.emol.com/noticias/Economia/ ... essal.html
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:34 pm

Well today is the anniversary of 9/11 , Chile version, so lets see if we get a preview of October or if everyone lost interest.

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... mbre.shtml

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:17 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:13 pm
Jamers41 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:33 pm
RuneTheChookcha wrote:
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
RuneTheChookcha wrote:
This works very well:
If you set your location correctly to your target Lider when shopping online, you can "see" the real stock of specific items at the Lider. For example, I needed two bottles of rubbing alcohol and a bunch of Omega 3 liquid for kids and assumed after checking online there would be plenty on the shelf, of course when I got there, there was none. Back home I once again initiated a purchase to check stock and saw there was plenty so I decided to do a pickup order to force them to find the product in the warehouse. My pickup order for 8 bottles of Omega 3 and 2 for iso alcohol was ready the next day with no stock issues. So Lider online does accurately reflect what each store has in stock...FYI.
Yeah I learned this "the hard way" once when I was placing an online order, and there was a product I really wanted that appeared out of stock. My account was already set to my local Lider. So I decided to play with it and change to a different store to see if I could find the product that I really wanted. Upon changing store locations, their website immediately informs me that there are items in my "cart" that are not available, and asks me if I want to remove them. Big mistake. I click "yes", expecting it be just 1 or 2 items of the 60 or so that I have in my list. By just changing to a store in the comuna next to us, it removed like half of my virtual cart, so when I switched back to my normal store, I had to go back and find all of those items and add them to my cart again to include them in my purchase. So yes, I discovered that in fact they definitely show you items based on their availability at the location you select.