The Chile Economy, Social Crisis and Virus Impact

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
RuneTheChookcha

Re: The Chile Economy, Social Crisis and Virus Impact

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:42 pm

Venerable Sirs, please do not argue here regarding these issues... my only message was that the language and the tone of the official media has changed, and changed dramatically, about this "Swedish approach". From the extremely negative -- to these quoted ones, published in the recent couple of days...

EDIT: Though, yes, these are the today's deaths per 1M numbers, but I cannot regard them as true, nor as untrue, I am just not a "believer" in the numbers...

2 Peru - 880
3 Belgium - 853
4 Andorra - 686
5 Spain - 623
6 UK - 611
7 Chile - 591
8 Italy - 587
9 Brazil - 576
10 Sweden - 575

Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ sorted by Death/1Mpop column, their table is clickable and re-arrangeable.
perdimonocle-19

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:10 pm

frozen-north wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:33 pm
tiagoabner wrote:
RuneTheChookcha
Sweden bucks trend in refusing to recommend masks

"State epidemiologist Anders Tegnell of the Public Health Agency insists scientific studies have not proven that masks are effective in limiting the spread of the virus, suggesting they can do more harm than good if used sloppily..."

https://www.euractiv.com/section/corona ... end-masks/
From the same article: "The Scandinavian country has the world’s seventh highest death toll at 575 per million inhabitants, mainly due to its failure to protect the elderly in nursing homes in the early stages of the pandemic."

Is it worth it to sacrifice the elderly? I certainly do not envy those responsible for choosing what to do.
"The Scandinavian country has the world’s seventh highest death toll at 575 per million inhabitants..."

I don't see that sentence in the article. Is it part of some image that does not display in my browser?
The first sentence of fourth paragraph.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:16 pm

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:42 pm
Venerable Sirs, please do not argue here regarding these issues... my only message was that the language and the tone of the official media has changed, and changed dramatically, about this "Swedish approach". From the extremely negative -- to these quoted ones, published in the recent couple of days...

EDIT: Though, yes, these are the today's deaths per 1M numbers, but I cannot regard them as true, nor as untrue, I am just not a "believer" in the numbers...

2 Peru - 880
3 Belgium - 853
4 Andorra - 686
5 Spain - 623
6 UK - 611
7 Chile - 591
8 Italy - 587
9 Brazil - 576
10 Sweden - 575

Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ sorted by Death/1Mpop column, their table is clickable and re-arrangeable.
Yes, there is a lot of debate going on regarding whether or not their approach was a good idea. On one hand, the Swedish have a high level of trust in their public institutions and they followed the government's instructions. On the other hand, there are more experts defending a lockdown approach to the pandemic. It will take years for realistic numbers to come up, as there are lots of governments doing cover-ups in different ways to save face. There's a lot of space to tweak numbers around when there isn't a uniform testing approach.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:05 pm

those numbers are wrong in so many ways they are meaningless.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

PXYC

Post by PXYC » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:29 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:16 pm
RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:42 pm

2 Peru - 880
3 Belgium - 853
4 Andorra - 686
5 Spain - 623
6 UK - 611
7 Chile - 591
8 Italy - 587
9 Brazil - 576
10 Sweden - 575

Yes, there is a lot of debate going on regarding whether or not their approach was a good idea. On one hand, the Swedish have a high level of trust in their public institutions and they followed the government's instructions. On the other hand, there are more experts defending a lockdown approach to the pandemic. It will take years for realistic numbers to come up, as there are lots of governments doing cover-ups in different ways to save face. There's a lot of space to tweak numbers around when there isn't a uniform testing approach.
I find hard to believe the evaluation of different approaches results on the long term, if in that term the virus mutation is changing to a less dangerous strain. And that's what I've been reading lately. You wouldn't be able to compare.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:42 am

So readying the local paper in los lagos this morning.

ooooo, think Piñata has stepped in it.

Typically there is a mention of 'centralismo' from time to time; but, this morning there was at least three direct mentions of it in various articles, on totally different topics, and dozens of indirect mentions.

It is definitely on people's minds down here.

I think that was a direct result of the way the government and congress dismissed what was happening in the south with trucker strike. People down south are pissed. However, it was not just the strike itself, but a whole series of recent decisions made on the behalf of southern chile, by a bunch of idiots in Santiago would have trouble finding southern chile if it were not attached.

You know what? I am totally with them.

If the country is going to jump off the constitutional rewrite cliff without looking, well let's go all in.

I would really like to see southern chile get more autonomy from the central region. At least something like a southern chile super-province.

recently I have seen the south referred to like that in various political conversations in the media.

I suspect as this whole constitution thing gets going, we are going to hear a whole lot more about it. probably protests related to it.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:25 pm

Drove round the Plaza Italia roundabout early evening yesterday around 6pm ish as the sun was going down but not dark (not recommended on a Friday).

There were around 100 - 1000 protestors. It´s hard to say - the total number in the area was perhaps nearer 1000 than 100 but many of them could have been just curious onlookers. I saw a dozen or so police and military vehicles on the scene, heard a few shouts. I saw a big cloud of water being sprayed, presumably by the police at the protesters.

The road was flowing quite well going down into Centro. The protestors were more on the other side (in the direction of the roundabout going up towards Providencia). I am not sure if the other side was passable for cars.

I saw a couple of people following some police to their vehicle and holding their smart phones unnecessarily close in that annoying way that seems to have become common. I assume that was an arrest, but I couldn´t see the person being arrested.

I think this is the second week of Friday protests at Plaza Italia again.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:23 am

A violent attack on the Coquimbo Market:

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... imbo.shtml

"Around 8:00 p.m. this Sunday, a group of people [about 50 people] arrived in three trucks to the Coquimbo Market and attacked its premises, causing damage and removing merchandise from the place."
perdimonocle-19

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:55 am

Screenshot_20200907-095433_Brave.jpg

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:57 am

they say that the primary motive for people to move from santiago to the south is the crime and the protests, not the pandemic.

I highly suspect that wave has yet to really set in. Probably later this summer.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:20 am

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:23 am
A violent attack on the Coquimbo Market:

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... imbo.shtml

"Around 8:00 p.m. this Sunday, a group of people [about 50 people] arrived in three trucks to the Coquimbo Market and attacked its premises, causing damage and removing merchandise from the place."
The owners of the -ex Municipal Market want to demolish it to redevelop the area, but the stallholders refused to leave.

The attackers, a renta-mob that included a sizeable number of immigrants, expelled the stallholders, who had mounted an anticipatory vigil, then locked themselves inside, destroyed the interior and were in turn expelled and detained by the Police.

Misión Cumplida

The use of immigrants by unscrupulous Chilean interests to commit criminal acts is becoming increasingly noticeable.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:22 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:57 am
they say that the primary motive for people to move from santiago to the south is the crime and the protests, not the pandemic.

I highly suspect that wave has yet to really set in. Probably later this summer.
I can't speak about them, but I moved out of Santiago sure to the protests. The pandemic only pushed me to make a decision that I should've made much earlier. It was either that or leaving the country altogether.