The Chile Economy, Social Crisis and Virus Impact

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
41southchile

Re: The Chile Economy, Social Crisis and Virus Impact

Post by 41southchile » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:00 pm

At least copper on the rise, first time over 3 bucks in 2 yrs.
https://www.emol.com/noticias/Economia/ ... a-US3.html
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:05 pm

41southchile wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:00 pm
Just wait until the investment banks on Wall Street start reading the small print on the constitutional rewrite.

would you throw a few billion dollars at expanding a copper mine, when you might not even own it in a couple of years?

I am actually impressed no one in mining industry has put 2+2 together and sounded the alarm yet in the broader commidities markets. They will eventually.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:22 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:05 pm
41southchile wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:00 pm
Just wait until the investment banks on Wall Street start reading the small print on the constitutional rewrite.

would you throw a few billion dollars at expanding a copper mine, when you might not even own it in a couple of years?

I am actually impressed no one in mining industry has put 2+2 together and sounded the alarm yet in the broader commidities markets. They will eventually.
Probably only get their information from something like BNAmericas or some other sunshiny source. You right they will eventually put 2+2 together, maybe on October the 26th? 🤔

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:24 pm

Think about this. More than 1/5 of the world copper supply, and whole lot of other commodities, depend on a handful of lines in the current constitution. Lines that the far left has had in their cross-hairs for 50+ years.

Just the conversation about talking about messing with it, should be setting off a nuclear bomb in the copper market.

Add in weakening dollar, lots of stimulus money, suspended mining projects due to covid, increase demand for copper in renewable tech, a billion people with no electricity, etc.

The copper price should easily be above $4 a pound right now, or will be shortly.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:45 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:37 pm
today's press conference the minister of health admitted there was no plan for the election and they are going to have a meeting next week about it.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... vid19.html

90 days before?
Today a journo asked how they were going to deal with covid19 infected persons voting in the plebiscito. The minister did not have an answer, but confirmed that it is a constitutional right to vote. Still not seeing how they are going to solve that in about 60 days? If not, then what - Will somebody declare the plebiscito inconstitucional?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:26 pm

yea, the conditions are set by the SERVAL not the health service, and that was the debate going on in congress today was to give election service more powers to set the conditions for the election related to the pandemic.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:29 pm

on the brite side today, another puma in Barnecha. guess there is a healthy puma population around santiago. Think that is like number 10 since the pandemic.

I guess they can not figure out where all the toy poodles and joggers went to, and keep coming in to the city looking for them.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:46 pm

Yeah I'm not voting, Im still registered in Osorno, so really not interested in making the trip up there.
I imagine they will have to give everyone a pen to fill out the form, and they get to keep it , and just wipe the surfaces down and have plenty of alcohol gel, maybe gloves for those that want , I honestly dont see it being that big of an issue. They can open malls and public transport, I'm sure they can hold a referendum, just get the thing over and done with already.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:54 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:45 pm
admin wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:37 pm
today's press conference the minister of health admitted there was no plan for the election and they are going to have a meeting next week about it.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... vid19.html

90 days before?
Today a journo asked how they were going to deal with covid19 infected persons voting in the plebiscito. The minister did not have an answer, but confirmed that it is a constitutional right to vote. Still not seeing how they are going to solve that in about 60 days? If not, then what - Will somebody declare the plebiscito inconstitucional?
Cant they just issue special voting papers (postal, or chileexpres or whatever, just zap them with UF or leave them in a bin for 24 hours before they are open) for those people in quarantine or whatever if they are sick. They do it in other countries for people that are not able to vote on election day, theres ways, there wont be that many people. I think they were secretly hoping it wouldn't go ahead and would prefer that I guess, that's why they are just ignoring practicalities and logistical questions.

Irishman

Post by Irishman » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:46 am

Hi guys, I received a letter from Servel regarding voting the other day. I have permanent residence. I am not a Chilean citizen. Is it compulsory that foreigners with permanent residence vote?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:18 am

Irishman wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:46 am
Hi guys, I received a letter from Servel regarding voting the other day. I have permanent residence. I am not a Chilean citizen. Is it compulsory that foreigners with permanent residence vote?
no, but at 5 years you are automatically registered to vote.

Irishman

Post by Irishman » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:19 am

Ok, thanks admin