The Chile Economy, Social Crisis and Virus Impact

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
libertad

Re: The Chile Economy, Social Crisis and Virus Impact

Post by libertad » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:31 am

Interesting. For those whose cities were affected by looting, arson, etc. during the social uprising last year (Including the metro burnings in Santiago etc.), have authorities began or made any significant progress repairing damage to bindings and infrastructure or is everything at a standstill with COVID?

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:10 am

libertad wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:31 am
Interesting. For those whose cities were affected by looting, arson, etc. during the social uprising last year (Including the metro burnings in Santiago etc.), have authorities began or made any significant progress repairing damage to bindings and infrastructure or is everything at a standstill with COVID?
Covid has actually been a chance to rebuilt and fix a few things I think, once they knew the vandals were not coming out as much. Not that anything happens particularly fast here, but now rioting has stopped some things like traffic lights and sidewalks have started to be repaired in Puerto Montt, that was when I was last there in about May.🤔
There is still economic activity happening and work going on around the place, Covid has delayed but not stopped things and as time goes on more so, in the first few months it was uncertain.
Now I think people/government/businesses are just getting on with their plans, the businesses that are still operating that is, a lot folded, but that's all part of the cycle.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

libertad

Post by libertad » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:15 pm

So, for those who have lived through the last 1.5 years in Chile, which is certainly one of the most trying periods in the Nations history, I’m wondering whether those who relocated to Chile from other countries still believe this was a good decision and still have hope for a positive future in Chile?

I have a lot of time spent in Chile myself and always considered relocating there permenantly , but wonder what you all think given this tumultuous experience and the state of affairs presently.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:45 pm

They have definitely made some progress repairing the Santiago Metro stations lately........last week they announced the return to service of the Macul subway station, and that was one of the most destroyed ones in Line 4 (one of the most damaged lines). I would know because the night of October 18th when all of that crap started, I had to walk for hours from downtown towards where I live (Puente Alto) and a Cabify finally managed to pick me up about 2 blocks from that station while it was burning around 11 pm. And that was with 2% battery power left on my phone. It wasn't one of the most pleasant commutes that I have experienced.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:32 pm

libertad wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:15 pm
So, for those who have lived through the last 1.5 years in Chile, which is certainly one of the most trying periods in the Nations history, I’m wondering whether those who relocated to Chile from other countries still believe this was a good decision and still have hope for a positive future in Chile?

I have a lot of time spent in Chile myself and always considered relocating there permenantly , but wonder what you all think given this tumultuous experience and the state of affairs presently.
Chile has a quite a bit of history, I dont know if the last year is one of the most trying periods , but I guess that's subjective.
I think everyone makes the right decision at that particualr point in time, evaluating their current situation as time passes is a natural behavior.
Personally, I dont see a positive or negative future in Chile I have a neutral position on that at the moment, there is too much happening.
15 months ago I wouldn't have thought what we are living through at the moment, was on the horizon.
I know that doesnt really help you much,
but on positive side the country has a small population and should in theory be nimble enough to be innovators and seek new opportunities, the family/community is still strong, finding new/old ways of doing things could help it.

On the negative side it's full of lots of fear and populism due to a lot of low quality education and class divisions, from historical hangovers. There's also not a lot of "putting yourself in someone elses shoes" (empathy?) from many across the class spectrum.

In summary its strengths are also its weaknesses.
If it can get over what was the past and work together with concessions and ground given from all sides it might ht have a chance.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:09 pm

Piñera has released a financial recovery plan:

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/eco ... isis.shtml

I'm still digesting it, so I'm just sharing the news article so that you all can take a look. There's a link to the project at the end of the article.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:04 pm

libertad wrote:

The way I think of it for now is if you are not in Chile now, don't come to live now. And if you are in Chile now, stay here.

Then wait until the pandemic is over or greatly reduced, waiting until at least March, and then revisit the situation then.

(I considered leaving in November, but I think that was the biggest danger point. I think people will have reflected enough that the next set of protests won't be so out of control and dangerous. So if anything I lean slightly towards the positive.)

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:45 pm

Britkid wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:04 pm

The way I think of it for now is if you are not in Chile now, don't come to live now. And if you are in Chile now, stay here.

Then wait until the pandemic is over or greatly reduced, waiting until at least March, and then revisit the situation then.

A couple of very wise sentences right there

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:58 pm

41southchile wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:45 pm
Britkid wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:04 pm

A couple of very wise sentences right there
yea, I would second that. Not sure March is the right date, but definitely wait.

Moving to chile tends to be logistically complicated on a good day, right now it is a monumentally complicated. Not the time to try and tackle all the logistics with all the broken and disrupted beucracy.

That is assuming you can even get in to the country. There is no date yet, nor any indication that the boarders will be opened.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:41 pm

libertad wrote:

As Winston Churchill probably would not have said, "Chile looks like a mess, except for all the rest".

In 12 to 48 months, in spite of all the domestic bitching, Chile is probably going to be looking pretty good compared to most countries all over the world

what japan announce today, 27% drop in GDP? how about Europe? forget the united States. almost does not matter who wins the election or what happens after. Definitely most of the developing countries can kiss this decade goodbye. Those like argentina starting from extreme economic distress and mismanagement can probably kiss the decade after that goodbye too.

No one is coming out of this without extreme permanent scars, and we are not even at the first quarter of this pandemic (less than 20% of the world exposed), and have not even really started the great global recession / depression to follow.

Really the only thing missing is a World War, and that still might be in the pipe yet according to the "Stupid Shit the Human Species Does Repeatedly Almanac".

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:23 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:41 pm
Really the only thing missing is a World War, and that still might be in the pipe yet according to the "Stupid Shit the Human Species Does Repeatedly Almanac".
Mumble South China Sea mumble.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:56 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:23 pm
admin wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:41 pm
Mumble South China Sea mumble.
yea, I got little red flags to place all over the world as having the potential to spark the next world War. Let us hope they don't start flirting.