The Economic Impact of the Social Crisis

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
admin
Site Admin

Re: The Economic Impact of the Social Crisis

Post by admin » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:01 pm

so, the communities in santiago, and the drop in super markets and banks. three now have zero functioning supermarkets and/or banks.

https://www.latercera.com/pulso/noticia ... al/955674/

none of them were in rich neighborhoods.

keep it up dumbasses. It is your family that will suffer for it. The rich, are not going to suffer for it.

It is going to be a long time before any return to these communities, and even the communities that did not loose them all will have far less and slower options in the future. companies are simply not going to risk it, especially for smaller returns.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:28 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:01 pm
so, the communities in santiago, and the drop in super markets and banks. three now have zero functioning supermarkets and/or banks.

https://www.latercera.com/pulso/noticia ... al/955674/

none of them were in rich neighborhoods.

keep it up dumbasses. It is your family that will suffer for it. The rich, are not going to suffer for it.

It is going to be a long time before any return to these communities, and even the communities that did not loose them all will have far less and slower options in the future. companies are simply not going to risk it, especially for smaller returns.
Hardly any surprises here, I remember saying this and others here in Allchile Saying the same thing, within a week or so of this happening in October. I remember it clearly and someone said the same thing happened in US after race riots over the years, the supers and banks simply exited the neighborhoods forever
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Darwin

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:26 pm

Seems that the job market wasn't affected much after all: Instituto Nacional de Estadísticas just announced that the unemployment rate for the end of the year is 6.9%, 0.1% more than in the end of 2018.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:03 pm

So that's all right, then. No harm done, really. :)

But....
'
Las próximas cifras podrían ser menos positivas» – El Líb[...].jpg
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:48 pm

Another LT/CADEM poll.
La encuesta se realizó a empresarios y ejecutivos de las principales empresas del país
CademLT-Diciembre-2019a.jpg

Après moi, le déluge

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:12 pm

December's Business Confidence Index at a historical low. From today's Mercurio:
Economía y Negocios.jpg

Après moi, le déluge

El Presidente

Post by El Presidente » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:03 am

admin wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:16 pm
El Presidente wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:16 pm
admin wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:08 pm
well, here is a national department store chain reorganizing to avoid bankruptcy due to the social unrest:

https://www.df.cl/noticias/empresas/ret ... 34927.html
That Hecho Esencial was communicated to the Comisión para el Mercado Financiero around 13:00, upon which the CLP immediately jumped from 744 to 750....

hecho esencial.JPG
that is odd, because these guys are pretty minor players.

perhaps the markets are thinking about who is next.
Yeah looks like the market is worried about some sort of contagion effect. The fact that AD retail (owner of Abcdin and Dijon) is restructuring its debt is not so scary on its own. The market is more worried about the Chilean retail sector in general, as this article from from El Mercurio Inversiones points out.

Then there's the issue of how much credit these retail firms have granted to sub-optimal clients over the years:
“Hay que considerar un efecto de ‘segunda vuelta’, que vendría por el aumento en el desempleo", dice. El impacto no se daría solo por el menor consumo, sino además porque "las empresas de retail tienen mucha ‘plata en la calle’, es decir, cuentan con un volumen importante de créditos otorgados a clientes a través de sus tarjetas, por lo que es muy probable que aumentan sus niveles de morosidad”.
“We will not go quietly into the night. We will not vanish without a fight. We’re going to live on. We’re going to survive. Today we celebrate our INDEPENDENCE DAY.” - President Thomas J. Whitmore

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:49 pm

Chile should aspire to be like NZ and Australia according to minister Briones in a tweet a few days ago. I think most of the 250 comments below the article explain why that is wishful thinking, I didnt actually see one comment that said that is possible .
https://www.emol.com/noticias/Economia/ ... iones.html
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Darwin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:35 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:26 pm
Seems that the job market wasn't affected much after all: Instituto Nacional de Estadísticas just announced that the unemployment rate for the end of the year is 6.9%, 0.1% more than in the end of 2018.
That is not the one to worry about. It will be first quarter 2020 numbers, as we are well in to vacation season now. When everyone goes back to work at the end of summer, we will see who has a job next year.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:51 pm

Took a trip into sweltering, crowded Santiasco for a doctor's appointment today using 100% public type transport.

You will not believe the amount of street vendors selling whatever wares on the streets in the poorer sections like around Metro Cal and Canto. My wife assured me this has been the new norm for many weeks in Santiago since the "estallido social".

Yes indeed, Santiago now looks and feels very much like any other place in "Latin" or "South" America these days. Chile should be ejected out of the OECD (let's not mention the MASSIVE homeless and HUMAN shit in the street crisis in the USA while the elite mouthpiece pundits talk about more military intervention and spending...but I digress...) and really start comparing themselves to the the cultural and geographic region they are in reality a part.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:02 pm

I went to downtown Santiago today for a PDI appointment and it looked very run down. Lots of street sellers, lots of beggars and lots of people asking for money to support the protests on intersections. The smell was nauseating, a nice kid is human feces, piss and tear gas, with the occasional cigarette smoke mixed in.

There was a high number of closed businesses, and "rent" signs were everywhere. The protestors have managed to fuck up Chile above and beyond my expectations.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

El Presidente

Post by El Presidente » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:33 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:51 pm

You will not believe the amount of street vendors selling whatever wares on the streets in the poorer sections like around Metro Cal and Canto. My wife assured me this has been the new norm for many weeks in Santiago since the "estallido social".
I work in the centro so I´ve always seen this type of street vendoring going on, but it was on a whole different level leading up to Christmas and beyond. Where do these goods being sold come from I wonder....
“We will not go quietly into the night. We will not vanish without a fight. We’re going to live on. We’re going to survive. Today we celebrate our INDEPENDENCE DAY.” - President Thomas J. Whitmore