The Chile Economy, Social Crisis and Virus Impact

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
frozen-north

Re: The Chile Economy, Social Crisis and Virus Impact

Post by frozen-north » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:48 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Like I said, every Friday:

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... nados.html
"8 uniformados lesionados. Uno de ellos está grave con fractura del quinto metatarsiano de su pie izquierdo."

'Grave' ?? In serious condition with a broken metatarsal?

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:40 am

alextrombone wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:25 am
Here you can get labelled a “communist” just by saying you think gay people should get married.
Here you can get labelled as a "fascist" just by saying you think the state of the Plaza Italia after those weekly riots is disgusting - as I used to before I gave up caring.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:25 am

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Economia/ ... 21-31.html

Economy takes a bigger hit than expected in January, 3.1 percent fall .

Not actually that surprising to be honest, it is bigger than expected, guess the number crunchers were too optimistic, lot of areas been hit hard, from Fruit and other food production areas to tourism to some retail, to just about everything, except copper, that meant the result wasn't as bad :shock: I read that copper gained 16 percent in Feb.

The sugar rush from the 10 percents must have shown in the relative strong commercial spending.

Lots of downs and a couple of ups in different sectors.

January is supposed to be one of the better months, so who knows what the rest of year will have in store, expect more negatives in front of numbers,
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:22 pm

41southchile wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:25 am
The sugar rush from the 10 percents must have shown in the relative strong commercial spending.
Yeah, so much so that there is now apparently a waiting list to buy some makes of new vehicles.

Another odd phenomenon is that despite the economic downturn, many businesses are having trouble finding employees. Here in Serena, the beachfront Cabañas and hotels were making do with family members and day hire people to keep running during February. Heard the same about agricultural Temporeros, no Chileans want these jobs, it seems.

Whether its for fear of COVID-19, or because of the bonos the government has been doling out, plus the 10%s creating a short-lived feeling of prosperity - the "sugar rush" - nobody seems to want to work any more. Not forgetting the example of thousands of state employees who have been sitting at home on full pay for almost a year now.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:22 pm

yea, only a 3.1% drop on a year of year basis sounds like a win to me.

what was the world like in January 2020?

most chileans, and the world, still did not even have coronavirus on their radar. There was still a fully functioning tourism, restraunt, airline industry, etc; and probably would have been much worse as copper prices were pretty ho hum. If I recall, sub $3 a pound.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:25 pm

In fact, I would not compare the stats for the rest of the year with 2020, as there will be major distortions; but, I am sure politians everywhere will be patting themselves on the back for recovering from such a low base.

politicians will do the, 'hey, everyone look, we grew bla, bla, bla' (from the worse economic disaster since the great depression).

a frigen troop of monkeys running the global federal r
monitary systems and finacial systems could make the economy grow on that basis.

just wait until April, June, July numbers.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:19 pm

The combination of very high copper price + high USD exchange rate should bring in some impressive earnings for the state coffers, I guess.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:09 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:19 pm
The combination of very high copper price + high USD exchange rate should bring in some impressive earnings for the state coffers, I guess.
They have been blowing a bit of money the last few years. Definitely need a restock on sovereign wealth fund.

There is still a constitution to write. That sounds cheap.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:07 pm

41southchile wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:02 pm
Britkid wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:29 pm
I think the majority of Chileans supported the protests at the time...

Some of Pinochets biggest supporters were the poor and working classes because he cracked down on criminals.
So watch this space I guess.
That would fit the profile of my wife's parents. One of my cuñados is very anti-Pinochet and can't understand how our in-laws could support him, but my dad-in-law always says something along the lines of "back then they didn't play around with the criminals, they just shot them, so there were few robberies."

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:24 am

Jamers41 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:07 pm
41southchile wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:02 pm
Britkid wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:29 pm
I think the majority of Chileans supported the protests at the time...

Some of Pinochets biggest supporters were the poor and working classes because he cracked down on criminals.
So watch this space I guess.
That would fit the profile of my wife's parents. One of my cuñados is very anti-Pinochet and can't understand how our in-laws could support him, but my dad-in-law always says something along the lines of "back then they didn't play around with the criminals, they just shot them, so there were few robberies."
Yup, I was under the mistaken impression , when I first came here in 1995 as a high school student, that Pinochets supports were all the elite and wealthy.

Throughout the years I have met and talked to many people who are not wealthy , they are just everyday working class, from very humble beginnings and families and they say exactly the same thing . Pinochet stopped the crime.

There was not much crime under Pinochet apparently, I hear he was quite decisive and there was not much antisocial behavior, they also believe he saved Chile as a country from the communists. I suppose that's not that surprising, lots of countries a similar thing happens.

I remember going to a celebration for his birthday one year in a working class neighborhood in San Fernando, he obviously wasn't there, but the junta vecinos put it on and had an once with cake and everything 😉.
Singing the anthem and genuinely showing appreciation for what he did for Chile.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:36 am

The organization of Chileans of Japanese origin were virtually still 100% pro Pinochet when I attended their events 18-20 years ago. They would always do a loud pro Pinochet chant or two at a gathering.

Those "interesting" experiences are up their with the experience of Chilean commies standing up and singing the commie anthem at the breakfast table while a discombobulated me was working off the effects of the partying the previous night to early morning.
Que será, será.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:33 pm

The working class Pinochet supporters have been older though right? You are going to get some younger ones because they are just following what their parent has said.

But younger, independent thinkers that have developed genuine political views of their own, independent from parents, that come to the conclusion that we need another Pinochet type? I'm going to guess that's very rare in the working class nowadays in Chile. I've never met one. I've never seen that on facebook,

I know one 20 ish person with Pinochet views, but it's perhaps because her mother is the same. Everyone else I can think of that I've had those views is in the 45-90 age group....so over time they become less and less....

If a Pinochet takes over (which they won't) I think you would have protests bigger than 2019, until they back down.

Nowadays you have an international liberal media that would highlight abuses and the internet and smart phones and you wouldn't be able to get away with what you could in the 70s. There isn't the cold war factor either, meaning that need to defeat the soviets/communism led to people ignoring certain other things.

The military dictatorship in Chile in the 1970s was good for business. But one now would be bad for international business. You would even get people in Las Condes marching against it. That is another key difference.

Those working class Pinochet supporters back in the day were probably important to enable what happened to happen. But nowadays - no.

That's not to say there aren't working class people that would like to see the government get tougher on crime. They absolutely would - a LOT of them - but police under a democractic government.