The Chile Economy, Social Crisis and Virus Impact

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
Britkid

Re: The Chile Economy, Social Crisis and Virus Impact

Post by Britkid » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:59 pm

I would say that anyone who worked in Pinochet's regime in general (so most of the time) is unfit for office. Maybe a local councillor but not President or Senator or mayor of a major city.

But you also have to look at the specific case and I think it depends on various factors like how high up, how long they worked for Pinochet, at what time, in what role, to what extent they would have been aware of crimes that were going on and what they did about it, whether they can prove they advocated for positive change while working for Pinochet, to what extent they are willing today to fully and clearly criticise Pinochet, whether they called for Pinochet to be prosecuted later on (say 1990s when he was alive but no longer in power).

But I would guess that 90% of them would not come out of such an analysis well and are unfit for high office.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:00 pm

alextrombone wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:58 pm
Don’t the extreme right not like him because he hung the LGBT flag over the town hall?
Correct.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:28 pm

Also, I understand he supports a new constitution not to mention he brought the unwashed (possibly flaite types) in social housing next to the cuicos in his comuna.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:29 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:39 pm
You are the one making the ridiculous accusation lumping Lavín is the same sack as Castro or Stalin, then accusing people who don't agree with you of being "dictatorship apologists".
Ehm? Not with them but with their subordinates who helped to maintain their regimes. Meanwhile, Pinochet is in the same sack because *drum roll* he's a murderous dictator too.

So if somebody supports a politician who is from the dictator's political party and praised the dictator's reforms, this person is a ...dictatorship apologist by proxy? 🤔 Not sure what would be the term but the whole relationship still sounds quite bad for me.
fraggle092 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:39 pm
Straight answer for a change,instead of all these tangents.
I answered above already: vote him and the rest of UDI out. Are you trying to catch me on some quasi-authoritarian desires or what?

From now on, I'm not replying to you on any topic because you regularly try to read between the lines, and then accuse me of saying what you imagined me saying. It makes the dialogue too tiresome.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:13 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:29 pm
From now on, I'm not replying to you on any topic because you regularly try to read between the lines, and then accuse me of saying what you imagined me saying. It makes the dialogue too tiresome.
That's fine by me.

Now, can anyone suggest an acceptable left-wing presidential candidate for next years' elections? Its about time they got their ass in gear as well.

Unless they have other plans.....
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri May 01, 2020 7:33 pm

I still like Beatriz Sanchez: she seems like a smart, good person and her policies are good and suit the direction the protestors, and the majority behind them, want Chile to go in.

She's polling very low (but so is everyone except Lavin) and is not in the news much. It's unclear whether she can win populist appeal amongst the working classes.

According to https://www.latercera.com/la-tercera-pm ... 6YIVAKHSE/
"Cercanos a Sánchez señalan que hoy, la periodista está cada vez más lejos de competir nuevamente en una presidencial". If I understand that right, sources close to her are saying that her thought processes are increasingly moving in the direction of not running? Then again, her twitter says "Beatriz Presidenta".

Can anyone find much fault with her, or her policies?

One argument is she's not exactly had a lot of political experience.

Reminder of 2017 first round election result: Pinera 36.6% Guiller 22.7% Sanchez 20.3%.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri May 01, 2020 8:05 pm

Britkid wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:33 pm
I still like Beatriz Sanchez: she seems like a smart, good person and her policies are good and suit the direction the protestors, and the majority behind them, want Chile to go in.

She's polling very low (but so is everyone except Lavin) and is not in the news much. It's unclear whether she can win populist appeal amongst the working classes.

"Cercanos a Sánchez señalan que hoy, la periodista está cada vez más lejos de competir nuevamente en una presidencial". If I understand that right, sources close to her are saying that her thought processes are increasingly moving in the direction of not running? Then again, her twitter says "Beatriz Presidenta".

Reminder of 2017 first round election result: Pinera 36.6% Guiller 22.7% Sanchez 20.3%.
Given how bad Chilean politicians are, I would say that not having political experience would be a very good thing.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat May 02, 2020 12:10 am

mem wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:26 pm
Those with an opinion...how would you contrast Pinera with Lavin?
Piñera is a smug billionaire businessman that has a very checkered history, I'd like to find out a bit more about Lavin, but he has always been more of a populist type politician playing to the masses (in last 20 years), whereas Piñera was more disconnected and elitist and certainly not a populist. I don't know what Lavins wealth is but it's not anywhere near Piñera who gained his fortune by climbing over others. I'm going to read up a bit on Lavin dont feel I know enough.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat May 02, 2020 7:58 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:05 pm
Britkid wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:33 pm

Given how bad Chilean politicians are, I would say that not having political experience would be a very good thing.
The protesters ran her out of plaza itialia.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

PaltaConPollo

Post by PaltaConPollo » Sat May 02, 2020 9:34 am

57 arrests yesterday in the May Day protest in Plaza Baquedano, one of those arrested had tested positive for COVID and was breaking quarantine. These people seem to be determined to kill each other.
https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... d-19.shtml

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat May 02, 2020 10:51 am

PaltaConPollo wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:34 am
57 arrests yesterday in the May Day protest in Plaza Baquedano, one of those arrested had tested positive for COVID and was breaking quarantine. These people seem to be determined to kill each other.
https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... d-19.shtml
If only it was themselves that they were killing that would be fine by me, but as usual they only ever think about themselves they will probably take it home to grandma or great uncle Humberto and kill them. Then they still won't make the connection and blame Piñera or Mañalich or anyone else for the substandard health care , because you know , it's always someone else's fault.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sun May 03, 2020 10:42 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:05 pm
Trouble is that unless you're a shark, you cannot swim in the shark pool.

The original query seems based on the assumption that power here ultimately lies with the President. But over the last few governments, numerous sectors have tried to grab more of that power for themselves; the administrations' authority has been steadily weakened.

Hence the free-for-all of the last few years, and especially the last six months, which has done the country no good at all.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge