The Economic Impact of the Social Crisis

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
admin
Site Admin

Re: The Economic Impact of the Social Crisis

Post by admin » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:24 am

funny story about the human rights institute.

I have a young friend that is a third year law student that volunteers for them, and was out on the front lines as an observer after the 18-0.

In fact my wife and I sort of gave him a good shove that way. He is good kid, smart, but also comes from and extremely left family and he is pretty on the communist side of the spectrum. his heart is in the right place, but a lot of young people throughout history have died for causes with their heart in the right place, at the wrong time.

We were afraid when this all started he would do something stupid and join the protesters like a lot of his friends; either getting arrested and destroying his career, or worse get himself killed if this mess turned bloody.

so my wife and I really worked over his mother to convince her to put a short leash on him (she might be a communist, but she is still a mother); but, at the same time, we kind of did not want to deny him the opportunity to be front and center to witness such a historic event of his generation. so shoving him towards the human rights institute was the next best option. besides trying to stop him would have been pointless at his age.

last time I seen him I was teasing him that I wanted to file a human rights claim. his revolution sucks, and if I am going to have to suffer through a revolution, it needs to be more interesting. I want my money back on the ticket.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:11 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:02 pm
.... The protestors have managed to fuck up Chile above and beyond my expectations.
Not just you.
Just two or three years ago, Piñera said:
...“queremos hacer de Chile un país desarrollado como los europeos Portugal y República Checa y que terminemos con la lacra de la pobreza”.
Its not just the protesters either, the local mindset only superficially resembles that in more civilized places.
Takes a while to see that, even from the inside.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:44 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:11 am
tiagoabner wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:02 pm
.... The protestors have managed to fuck up Chile above and beyond my expectations.
Not just you.
Just two or three years ago, Piñera said:
...“queremos hacer de Chile un país desarrollado como los europeos Portugal y República Checa y que terminemos con la lacra de la pobreza”.
Its not just the protesters either, the local mindset only superficially resembles that in more civilized places.
Takes a while to see that, even from the inside.
The most surprising part to me is that the protestors don't seem to notice or care about how much they're setting their own country back. They can't relate economic prosperity with better living conditions.

I mean, if you burn businesses, of course people are going to lose their jobs.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:46 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:22 pm
The Argentinans are doing a better job of promoting and supporting tourism in the Chilean Patagonia, than the fucking Santiago government.
I'm just back from my holiday in Colombia so I'm just catching up :-) I don't know that Argentina promotes much tourism, or even makes it easy (the 10% fee for ATM withdrawals is a real bummer), but the country is hugely underrated, Argentinians at least in their own country are honest, easy to talk to, the country is pretty safe (I think you were here last year and mentioned something about a child kidnapping and rape thing, really, it's not dangerous in Buenos Aires, and if anything happens the yellow press is all over it).

So come on over and spend your pesos here :-D let's get this country moving again.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:44 pm

FrankPintor wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:46 pm
admin wrote:
The Argentinans are doing a better job of promoting and supporting tourism in the Chilean Patagonia, than the fucking Santiago government.
I'm just back from my holiday in Colombia so I'm just catching up :-) I don't know that Argentina promotes much tourism, or even makes it easy (the 10% fee for ATM withdrawals is a real bummer), but the country is hugely underrated, Argentinians at least in their own country are honest, easy to talk to, the country is pretty safe (I think you were here last year and mentioned something about a child kidnapping and rape thing, really, it's not dangerous in Buenos Aires, and if anything happens the yellow press is all over it).

So come on over and spend your pesos here :-D let's get this country moving again.
o.k., will do right away.

just popped a cork on a malbec at a hotel in front of the beagle channel.

:lol:

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:08 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:44 pm
FrankPintor wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:46 pm
admin wrote:

o.k., will do right away.

just popped a cork on a malbec at a hotel in front of the beagle channel.

:lol:
There you go :D how much did your Malbec cost? I go to Tonel Privado here, their special offers are about 400 pesos for a 2:1 wine from 2014 or older. I hope I'm never moved from here ;-)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:36 pm

20200114_143610.jpg

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:38 pm

lugi bosca, 2017 malbec.

don't know what it cost. my wife is buying.

I learned long ago, it is much cheaper to stick her with the bill. :lol:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:47 pm

hey, FYI there seems to be some sort of roaming deal now between Argentina and chile. i know they were suppose to eliminate roaming fees completely, but at least for this trip as soon as we entered the country we got a text message saying i had 15 days of roaming, and my wife had 10 days in 30 days. every time I left Argentina, i recieved a text it was suspended until i entered again. works perfectly. we use to have to buy packages.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:50 pm

now if we could just get them to eliminate the silly boarder beurocracy. like no boarder. just a sign and a flag perhaps.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:02 pm

Yeah, I know, a very long time ago, a Mexican friend explained that people like you and me have the price written on our foreheads. In Argentina there's no gringo tax, since they imagine themselves to be all descended from Europeans, so things are easier here ;-)

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:05 pm

I'm not sure about the roaming, it would depend on the operator, Claro wanted to do away with roaming but I'm not sure how that went. And a sign and a flag is basically what you get here, I've not been to a country that's so relaxed about immigration. I can apply for citizenship here this year.