The Chile Economy, Social Crisis and Virus Impact

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
41southchile

Re: The Economic Impact of the Social Crisis

Post by 41southchile » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:59 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:13 pm
Time for forumites to "find" reliable alternative lamb, pork and beef sources. They are there, maybe not for totally urban Santiaguinos...and not legal...so "trusted" contacts are very important.

JMO
Exactly, already working on that.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:21 pm

With the price of meat set to increase, what better time to consider becoming vegetarian? If not vegetarian, at least more vegetarian/vegan meals.

I have been doing it for nearly 4 years now. I haven't eaten meat or fish once. I am very healthy and I don't miss it in the slightest. I've had zero downside. I ran my fastest times ever and reached my lowest weight for many years within a year of starting.

Vegan, Vegetarian and Meat in Chile viewtopic.php?f=39&t=13735
My blog about reasons for doing it (ethics, environment, health) https://whytryveg.wordpress.com/2017/02 ... -argument/

This is not directed at the people commenting recently (who likely aren't interested), but more of general comment for anyone reading the thread. I thought it was relevant enough to the previous comments to merit this one post, but probably not enough to derail the thread in a debate. So suggest PM me instead if anyone has any questions.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:52 pm

Britkid wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:21 pm
With the price of meat set to increase, what better time to consider becoming vegetarian? If not vegetarian, at least more vegetarian/vegan meals.

I have been doing it for nearly 4 years now. I haven't eaten meat or fish once. I am very healthy and I don't miss it in the slightest. I've had zero downside. I ran my fastest times ever and reached my lowest weight for many years within a year of starting.

My blog about reasons for doing it (ethics, environment, health) https://whytryveg.wordpress.com/2017/02 ... -argument/

This is not directed at the people commenting recently (who likely aren't interested), but more of general comment for anyone reading the thread. I thought it was relevant enough to the previous comments to merit this one post, but probably not enough to derail the thread in a debate. So suggest PM me instead if anyone has any questions.
Yeah fair enough, but in shortages and price rises you are not even going to be able to get vegetarian alternatives at affordable prices, or easily , unless you or your neighbors are growing it yourself.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:01 pm

Britkid wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:21 pm

Make sure you get some b12 in your diet. You won't get any from a strictly vegan diet, and you'll eventually become very seriously deficient without it. If you're not familiar with this you should read up on it now, before it's too late.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:45 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Make sure you get some b12 in your diet. You won't get any from a strictly vegan diet, and you'll eventually become very seriously deficient without it. If you're not familiar with this you should read up on it now, before it's too late.
I remembered you had posted some interesting information on this topic a while back. I found this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=16917#p188448

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:09 am

frozen-north wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:45 pm
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
I remembered you had posted some interesting information on this topic a while back. I found this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=16917#p188448
Thanks, now I don't have to repeat myself:)
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

passport

Post by passport » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:42 am

Another vote for vegetarianism here. In Argentina now for a few days - better veggie offerings than in Chile but Chile still has stuff if you look for it and are creative.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:45 am

The price of local produce is probably going to balance itself out a bit. start of the growing season, drop in exports, increase in price. I would not be surprised if all the producers 6 months from now are bitching about how low prices are, because they go and do what they always do, over produce.

add on to it, being spring, and everyone that normally does a back yard guardian in chile, after seeing the prices, goes just 20% bigger this year....

I might actually build a greenhouse this year. I have talked about it for years with my wife, just never had the time; but, I have always liked gardening.

I have a much more sinister reason to start a garden however. I am not a vegetarian, but I do like a bloody Mary with my sunday breakfast. If I juice a bloody mary from scratch, it cost like $5,000 pesos a glass (like 20,000 pesos a pitcher), before I put the imported vodka and sauces in it. It is more expensive than going to hotel bar. 52 bloody marries a year x 5,000 = a very nice greenhouse. :lol:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:55 am

admin wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:45 am
The price of local produce is probably going to balance itself out a bit. start of the growing season, drop in exports, increase in price. I would not be surprised if all the producers 6 months from now are bitching about how low prices are, because they go and do what they always do, over produce.

add on to it, being spring, and everyone that normally does a back yard guardian in chile, after seeing the prices, goes just 20% bigger this year....

I might actually build a greenhouse this year. I have talked about it for years with my wife, just never had the time; but, I have always liked gardening.

I have a much more sinister reason to start a garden however. I am not a vegetarian, but I do like a bloody Mary with my sunday breakfast. If I juice a bloody mary from scratch, it cost like $5,000 pesos a glass (like 20,000 pesos a pitcher), before I put the imported vodka and sauces in it. It is more expensive than going to hotel bar. 52 bloody marries a year x 5,000 = a very nice greenhouse. :lol:
We got lots of tomatoes and potatoes in the ground maybe we should make some vodka too this year 🤔🤣.

mem

Post by mem » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:07 am

I'm looking at a 400 liter chest freezer. Uses 30 watts.
A delta or yeti battery pod can run it for over a day and be recharged by diesel generator or the grid...the delta recharges in an hour so it would sip diesel for an extended grid outage
Probably going to fill it with beef.
Live chicken and ducks dont need to be frozen

Lamb I'd have to figure out local farmers to make a deal with, but we eat a lot less lamb than beef or chicken.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:20 am

20191124_111957.jpg
my girls nominate him for dinner.

bugs bunny there has been screwing with them for years. the black dog last time she tried to catch it, just got a trip to the vet for stitches. it ran her through barbed wire fence.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:37 pm

I had to build a perimeter fence to stop the sanctuary dogs. They are good hunters, some are part galgo, one is German pointer, but too many gashes from the horse fences. And last year a jerk rented my neighbor's land across the road to fatten beef cattle. Did not even live nearby. Of course street dogs came round when a cow aborted, and my dogs ran over to chase the street dogs away. He got a photo of 2 of my dogs running in his field. Was going to sue me, saying my dogs caused the cow to abort. Meanwhile neighbors told me he forced the pregnant cows to jump from the truck into the field without a ramp. Three of the pregnant cows fell. And that probably caused the cow to abort. Two days later we got photos of street dogs chasing his cows and eating the aborted calf. He hasn't said anything more about suing. But now my dogs have to stay fenced They have 2 acres. They spend hours trying to find a breach in the perimeter. The wily rabbits taunt them from the other side. Life is unfair.
dogs new fence 2 u.jpg
Attachments
dogs new fence 2.jpg