Chile Crisis, Emergencies, Disasters Forum

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
admin
Site Admin

Chile Crisis, Emergencies, Disasters Forum

Post by admin » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:55 am

So, this is the new "crisis" forum.

Shit Happens. Always has, Always will.

The first thing everyone needs in a crisis: information.

As the years go by, with reliability of the information from both big social media and big traditional media rapidly deteriorating, I believe it is more important than ever to try and sort out what is really going in Chile.

I have been thinking about this actually for a while. Over the many years this forum has been around (since 2006), we have all collectively experienced together some both big and small crisis in Chile, some national, some regional, some very local to various parts of the country. Everything from Volcanoes erupting to the 2010 earthquake, to the current crisis (as of this post) of the political / social unrest in Chile.

In fact, they have been so regular, back after the 2010 earthquake, when pretty much every web site in Chile was offline (including all government sites) and the forum was still up and running, I realized it might be important to do a few other things to improve on the reliability of our server and site for future emergencies. So, for example a few months ago, I increased the speed and reliability of our hard drives by moving us to a RAID 10 system. I also moved us to a 16 processor / core server, that a few weeks ago proved worth the money, as we had so much traffic I had to dedicate another couple processor cores to just the forum on our server as it maxed out the 3 cores I had dedicated to the forum.

It will also take me a while to collect and move some of the past crisis. For example, all the volcano eruptions over the years.

I am sure I will have some more thoughts. Please feel free to post suggestions, changes, improvements, etc related to the crisis forum on this thread.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Chile Crisis, Emergencies, Disasters Forum

Post by admin » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:21 am

I think the format I am going to use for each emergency, is to let the threads run in the main "crisis forum", then when things settle down or the emergency passes, for historical reference, bundle up all threads related to that particular crisis in to it's own forum. Kind of like I have kept the 2010 earthquake thread around all these years. I think it is important for new people to see the good, the bad, and ugly of how each crisis or emergency was dealt with.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:42 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:55 am
I realized it might be important to do a few other things to improve on the reliability of our server and site for future emergencies. So, for example a few months ago, I increased the speed and reliability of our hard drives by moving us to a RAID 10 system. I also moved us to a 16 processor / core server, that a few weeks ago proved worth the money, as we had so much traffic I had to dedicate another couple processor cores to just the forum on our server as it maxed out the 3 cores I had dedicated to the forum.
Thanks for your foresight. I was wondering if all my screenshots were filling up the drives... :)
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

Sr. El Puelche

Post by Sr. El Puelche » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:00 pm

When ever I was in Santiago during Pinochet I made it a point to find those street clowns performing along 11 de septiembre. Usually a crowd of 100 or so but the good ones garnered crowds of two or three hundred. The reason why the clowns are important is that they perform the reality of what is going on in Chile with remarkable candor and frankness----they convey what everyone is thinking and may only share with a few people if anyone at all. The not only convey the current reality but also what people are hoping for. I think the disguise helps and the clowns have to be witty along with what they are saying. They can be hard to understand with their voice and they use A LOT of slang so you learn that too but its that raw view of whats really going on.

Funny thing was during Pinochet, I heard them say things about him and the government that no newspaper could print and often times with the carabineros just feet away observing----never saw them once hassle a clown. BTW-----stay away from the clowns on unicycles or stilts----usually a pickpocket scam as viewers are distracted by the chaos of the clowns.

####