Let us write a constitution for Chile.

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Let us write a constitution for Chile.

Post by admin » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:15 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:43 pm
fraggle092 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:41 pm
"let's all build a nuclear fusion reactor!"
Why not :P :?:
FYI, Argentina tried that. Their constution still sucks.

viewtopic.php?t=17209

:lol: :fire:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:29 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:09 pm
more recent one.

go read the history of the venezuela constitutional "reform".
Yes, I did and found a good article here.
The Venezuelan Supreme Court, facing threats and political pressure, opened the door to dictatorship and allowed the 1961 constitution to become mere words on parchment.
fraggle092 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:46 pm
Constitution, schmonstitution...just words on paper.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:55 pm

Here's Chile's regulatory system, showing why the Left wants Constitutional reform.
The role of the Tribunal Constitutional is also mentioned. Some may remember efforts to abolish it during Bachelet's last administration, in an attempt to eliminate the ultimate barrier to arbitrary governance by unprincipled politicians.
What we have seen recently is more of the same, from other angles of attack, both literally and figuratively.
estado.jpg
https://github.com/jbaranao/-Que-nos-pas-Chile-

Après moi, le déluge

Donnybrook2

Post by Donnybrook2 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:35 pm

I haven't read all the posts on this as I have been shut out of the forum for a while. Couldn't get a reply to "forgot password" a few times so registered again and added a 2 to my username. Anyway, in case it has not been discussed, check that you are still voting in the same place. Mine has changed. They are adding more voting places to avoid a crush so your table may have moved. I have the same number table but in a different place.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:45 pm

Same here. I used to have to walk 1 km to vote, this time it is literally next door at the private institute same table number. Wife has to walk to the plaza to get to her mesa. I understand this male-female separation is to prevent the husband from pressuring the wife on the vote.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:55 pm

So, we're 10 days away from the plebiscite. Did anyone ever get an Apruebo supporter to explain what do they dislike in the current constitution? All they can do as far as I can see is to spew over the left's "it was written during the dictatorship" Kool aid while ignoring that it was amended profusely during Lagos' government.

I can't vote yet, but it has been really hard to get some solid arguments for why the constitution needs to be changed. I would appreciate any resources or links to read about that. Even though I'm against changing the constitution due to the legal implications, I would like to learn about what the other side has to say. It just happens that their message has a lot of noise.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Donnybrook2

Post by Donnybrook2 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:34 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:45 pm
Same here. I used to have to walk 1 km to vote, this time it is literally next door at the private institute same table number. Wife has to walk to the plaza to get to her mesa. I understand this male-female separation is to prevent the husband from pressuring the wife on the vote.
Unfortunately, my new place is 3kms away instead of walking distance. I won't use public transport - from my house nothing goes close anyway - so will have to drive and find parking. My table has been mixed gender since I have been voting. 2012?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:49 pm

Donnybrook2 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:34 pm
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:45 pm
Unfortunately, my new place is 3kms away instead of walking distance. I won't use public transport - from my house nothing goes close anyway - so will have to drive and find parking. My table has been mixed gender since I have been voting. 2012?
Yes the tables are mixed but we are both registered at the same address but have completely different voting locations.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:55 pm

when I first qualified to vote in chile, was also about the time they started creating mixed tables. the last table formed was all women, so they added me to it.

I am sort of running joke among the girls, as the only guy, and a gringo. think i lost count, but that was like 6 elections ago.

yes, I feel pressured.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:04 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:55 pm
Did anyone ever get an Apruebo supporter to explain what do they dislike in the current constitution?
Even trying to find the reasons for changing the Constitution means that you must be a facho and fair game for harassment. It would be brave, or rather foolhardy to walk around sporting a Rechazo badge right now.

"No son 30 pesos, son 30 años" is all that the Apruebonaos can come up with, in their more lucid moments.
shouting down.jpg
https://twitter.com/i/status/1315341928729251841

Après moi, le déluge

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:35 am

tiagoabner wrote:
So, we're 10 days away from the plebiscite. Did anyone ever get an Apruebo supporter to explain what do they dislike in the current constitution? All they can do as far as I can see is to spew over the left's "it was written during the dictatorship" Kool aid while ignoring that it was amended profusely during Lagos' government.

No thats a big negative here as well, they either don't understand the constitution or much about the way their country works or whatever else.
I really tried with an open mind and was trying to understand their arguments, I couldn't. Mostly incoherent, simplistic, and ignorant, were the general conclusions I got from Apruebo supporters.
I guess this is a conscience vote as they call it in NZ parliament. Its not like a presidential election where there are clear "good guys" and "bad guys". This plebiscite involves thinking and making up ones own mind rather than being convinced by candidates, in a country where the completely ignorant outnumber the educated by a factor of about 2 to 1 , thats a concern.
Who knows, 🤔 maybe I'm wrong and people have been thinking for themselves and educating themselves over lockdowns. Time will tell.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:10 am

41southchile wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:35 am
tiagoabner wrote:

No thats a big negative here as well, they either don't understand the constitution or much about the way their country works or whatever else.
I really tried with an open mind and was trying to understand their arguments, I couldn't. Mostly incoherent, simplistic, and ignorant, were the general conclusions I got from Apruebo supporters.
I guess this is a conscience vote as they call it in NZ parliament. Its not like a presidential election where there are clear "good guys" and "bad guys". This plebiscite involves thinking and making up ones own mind rather than being convinced by candidates, in a country where the completely ignorant outnumber the educated by a factor of about 2 to 1 , thats a concern.
Who knows, 🤔 maybe I'm wrong and people have been thinking for themselves and educating themselves over lockdowns. Time will tell.
Damn, I thought I was lacking Spanish skills or maybe I was trying to look at the wrong places. Still, I'm absolutely open to read if anyone has a breakdown of the Apruebo points that doesn't go into a "it was written during the dictatorship" rabbithole.

I hope Chile doesn't get itself into a Brexit-like mess, where a pointless vote screws the country for the decades to come.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.