State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1754
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

Post by 41southchile » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:38 am

admin wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:34 am
they burned the headquarters of the socialist party in valdivia.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... divia.html
Ah yes theres an example of that national unity coming through again. Anyone that thinks this mess/disaster (whatever you want to label it )has bought the country together should read the comments under that article to get an idea where we are at now, lot of comments saying they deserved it, and good news. Theres very few comments calling for peace and calm, what's it been ? Just over 48hrs since the big constitution announcement , shit like this is only just starting unfortunately as divisions will grow wider and be polarized within coming months. Remember theres actually lots of people that dont want to change constitution, and not just hard core right either. This mess has hardened and radicalized both sides positions, this is going to get a lot uglier, a few here have said (me included) , Chileans are not always known for their restraint and thinking through the consequences, here is a perfect example of that short term mentality and actions being driven by anger.

My neighbor who lives about a 2 km away, told me the other day "don't ever hesitate to ring me day or night if you need me to come down and blast my shotgun away if anyone ever comes around looking for trouble, would be a pleasure to put some lead in some scums ass". He is mild mannered , not even a big farmer, and said he hates the military because they falsely arrested him in the dictatorship and held him for 24 hours. Point is there is a lot of German guys who are actually hard core and armed to the teeth who remember the UP and think that commies/socialists are coming for their farms and are ready to go down fighting with bullets, if they feel threatened in any way.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1754
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

Post by 41southchile » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:23 am

Wasn't the telethon supposed to be this month? That great monument to solidarity, that great coming together of a nation to help those less fortunate. It has been suspended unfortunately by the looks of it, suspended just like the common sense of many Chileans.

https://www.24horas.cl/tendencias/espec ... io-3707652
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

mem
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 867
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

Post by mem » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:15 am

41southchile wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:38 am
admin wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:34 am
they burned the headquarters of the socialist party in valdivia.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... divia.html
Ah yes theres an example of that national unity coming through again. Anyone that thinks this mess/disaster (whatever you want to label it )has bought the country together should read the comments under that article to get an idea where we are at now, lot of comments saying they deserved it, and good news. Theres very few comments calling for peace and calm, what's it been ? Just over 48hrs since the big constitution announcement , shit like this is only just starting unfortunately as divisions will grow wider and be polarized within coming months. Remember theres actually lots of people that dont want to change constitution, and not just hard core right either. This mess has hardened and radicalized both sides positions, this is going to get a lot uglier, a few here have said (me included) , Chileans are not always known for their restraint and thinking through the consequences, here is a perfect example of that short term mentality and actions being driven by anger.

My neighbor who lives about a 2 km away, told me the other day "don't ever hesitate to ring me day or night if you need me to come down and blast my shotgun away if anyone ever comes around looking for trouble, would be a pleasure to put some lead in some scums ass". He is mild mannered , not even a big farmer, and said he hates the military because they falsely arrested him in the dictatorship and held him for 24 hours. Point is there is a lot of German guys who are actually hard core and armed to the teeth who remember the UP and think that commies/socialists are coming for their farms and are ready to go down fighting with bullets, if they feel threatened in any way.
He was arrested under Pinochet even though he was anti-socialist in a mix up?

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1754
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

Post by 41southchile » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:23 am

mem wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:15 am
41southchile wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:38 am
admin wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:34 am
they burned the headquarters of the socialist party in valdivia.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... divia.html
Ah yes theres an example of that national unity coming through again. Anyone that thinks this mess/disaster (whatever you want to label it )has bought the country together should read the comments under that article to get an idea where we are at now, lot of comments saying they deserved it, and good news. Theres very few comments calling for peace and calm, what's it been ? Just over 48hrs since the big constitution announcement , shit like this is only just starting unfortunately as divisions will grow wider and be polarized within coming months. Remember theres actually lots of people that dont want to change constitution, and not just hard core right either. This mess has hardened and radicalized both sides positions, this is going to get a lot uglier, a few here have said (me included) , Chileans are not always known for their restraint and thinking through the consequences, here is a perfect example of that short term mentality and actions being driven by anger.

My neighbor who lives about a 2 km away, told me the other day "don't ever hesitate to ring me day or night if you need me to come down and blast my shotgun away if anyone ever comes around looking for trouble, would be a pleasure to put some lead in some scums ass". He is mild mannered , not even a big farmer, and said he hates the military because they falsely arrested him in the dictatorship and held him for 24 hours. Point is there is a lot of German guys who are actually hard core and armed to the teeth who remember the UP and think that commies/socialists are coming for their farms and are ready to go down fighting with bullets, if they feel threatened in any way.
He was arrested under Pinochet even though he was anti-socialist in a mix up?
Yup, it was a mix up he said , him and his friend, they busted his friends lip open real bad, to this day he has scar, and roughed them up .Then they took them to an empty field and fired shots in front of their feet, was convinced he was going to die there and then. Then they let them go when his boss made enquiries when he didnt show for work. Despite his hatred for the milicos he said he knows what flaites and criminals are like in Chile and said he would still prefer them to come out and deal with the violence, they dont respond to dialogue he said, I know my country and its citizens.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

User avatar
Dosedmonkey
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 987
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:27 am

Re: State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

Post by Dosedmonkey » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:37 am

The boobs was just to see if anyone was still paying attention. Nice this we people ran with it. Haha.
frozen-north wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:51 pm

Bla bla bla
Sorry I posted a real hardness scale, with an actual internationally recognised method of testing. How stupid I am. Their made up scale saying something that is as tough as wood is almost the toughest thing in the world is not complete fubar is it...

User avatar
Dosedmonkey
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 987
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:27 am

Re: State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

Post by Dosedmonkey » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:43 am

41southchile wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:38 am

My neighbor who lives about a 2 km away, told me the other day "don't ever hesitate to ring me day or night if you need me to come down and blast my shotgun away if anyone ever comes around looking for trouble, would be a pleasure to put some lead in some scums ass". He is mild mannered , not even a big farmer, and said he hates the military because they falsely arrested him in the dictatorship and held him for 24 hours. Point is there is a lot of German guys who are actually hard core and armed to the teeth who remember the UP and think that commies/socialists are coming for their farms and are ready to go down fighting with bullets, if they feel threatened in any way.
There is some German named Chileans on twitter preaching pro human rights abuse stuff, and you would be a liar if you said you didn't contemplate where their heritage line was from. When their German ancestors come across form Europe. Even if they weren't Nazi, everyone was effected by the war on Europe one way or another, and would take influence from a brainwashing society Germany had at the time. Racism is one thing that tends to be passed down to children.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 21821
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

Post by admin » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:53 am

well, in fairness to the socialist party, burning their headquarters might be strangely unifying event for both the far left and the far right.

The socialist party has a reputation as being a toxic cesspool of political corruption.

in fact, the first thing that came to mind when i seen that article was, 'i wonder which side burned the building'.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 8160
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:59 am

Was having a discussion with my wife and we agreed that for everyone's future safety to now go mum in the presence of others and social media on political topics. She has already enforced this onto her daughters and has lived a lifetime with this policy (she would be one of those mothers who would definitely discipline her daughters if they ever even thought of participating in a protest). She is old enough to remember the coup and how the milcos even came for some reason for her pro-Pinochet grandmother who was able to hide from being captured.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Donnybrook
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3296
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:34 am
Location: Santiago, Chile

Re: State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:35 pm

I have had to lay down a rule of not discussing it on the phone/in texts with family members living outside Chile. What they were seeing online and what I was living were diametrically opposed. It always ended with my blood pressure rising. Since now everyone has an opinion on everything, it is quite refreshing to just not have an apparent opinion.

User avatar
Dosedmonkey
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 987
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:27 am

Re: State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

Post by Dosedmonkey » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:55 pm

admin wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:53 am
in fact, the first thing that came to mind when i seen that article was, 'i wonder which side burned the building'.
The same here. Every section of society have a very good motive to burn it, particlarly at the moment.

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1754
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

Post by 41southchile » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:07 pm

Dosedmonkey wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:43 am
41southchile wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:38 am

My neighbor who lives about a 2 km away, told me the other day "don't ever hesitate to ring me day or night if you need me to come down and blast my shotgun away if anyone ever comes around looking for trouble, would be a pleasure to put some lead in some scums ass". He is mild mannered , not even a big farmer, and said he hates the military because they falsely arrested him in the dictatorship and held him for 24 hours. Point is there is a lot of German guys who are actually hard core and armed to the teeth who remember the UP and think that commies/socialists are coming for their farms and are ready to go down fighting with bullets, if they feel threatened in any way.
There is some German named Chileans on twitter preaching pro human rights abuse stuff, and you would be a liar if you said you didn't contemplate where their heritage line was from. When their German ancestors come across form Europe. Even if they weren't Nazi, everyone was effected by the war on Europe one way or another, and would take influence from a brainwashing society Germany had at the time. Racism is one thing that tends to be passed down to children.
Oh absolutely true, their heritage line runs very strong, I am not going to repeat some of the things I've heard in conversations, and completely casual, no trying to even hide what they think. Let's just say it has definitely been passed down the generations.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

User avatar
fraggle092
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2050
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: In Chile

Re: State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

Post by fraggle092 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:25 pm

bobserb wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:14 am

Remember-Nelly Díaz sindicato en el Registro Civil ...She had power to abuse Chile striking for weeks .
How many unions exist in Chile?
Unions that expelled for workers good companies like Merck in San Antonio.
Port unions that have power to stop export of the fresh fruit for weeks.
Another words,it was scary to see how easy was to set large scale self destructive behavior in Chile.
Given that the state is one of the biggest employers here, the syndicates are another power base, just like the politicians and big business. ANEF and also many CUT members are mainly from the Bureaucracy and have successfully negotiated themselves wages and conditions superior to anything the private sector can offer. Bachelet co-opted their goodwill by recruiting 50,000 additional central government employees during her last term. Not to mention employee bloat at local levels.

Hence the "solidarity" strikes by both local and national state bodies. Public service is not the main goal of these institutions. You may have noticed that already :roll:

These syndicates have strong links to the Chilean Socialist and Communist Parties.
'
pregunta.jpg
.
It would be interesting to see how many of those '"peaceful protesters" are employed by the state. In the past they have expected to be paid a full wage despite their absences from "work" during manifestations.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

Locked