State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
Jamers41

Re: State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

Post by Jamers41 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:41 am

No, I didn't say they blocked him, he just refused to play their game and kept driving, at one point there's the voice of a guy that yells "matenlo!" in that video (maybe overheard that and it set him off), but it's pretty evident that his life was not in danger and that anyone in his situation with an ounce more of sanity would have just drove away.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:47 am

Dosedmonkey wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:14 am
41southchile wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:30 pm
Whatever the circumstances, govt will look to make an example of him I bet, attempted homicide or whatever that translates to, intentendent for the area doing a querella tomorrow. This guys life just changed forever today.
I don't think the guys life has suddenly changed though. Everything about him makes my skin crawl and I feel he has been on this path for a long time. As admin says, shocked it took this long to arrest him. He should of been deported a long time ago, way to shady a character.

He is just very reminiscent of the random mentally ill shootings that seem to occur in USA on a very frequent basis...
The reason I think his life has changed now is because where as previously he acted with impunity, spouting out shit and doing whatever the hell he felt like in Chile, now he is going to have a shit tonne of justice on his ass be it formal justice or street justice .

As for the last sentence, Blaming mental illness has become such an easy scapegoat and a disservice to those with actual mental illnesses, a lot of the time there is no mental illness at all involved. Its far too easy to just say they are mentally Ill, shuts down any rational debate.
The christchurch massacre this year, where the white supremacist killed 51 people, he has no mental illness, just an agenda and what he saw as his mission.
Maybe that's a mental illness according to some descriptions? But it's too simple to just label everything a mental illness these days. Depression? Ah must be a mental illness, NO, most of the time it's just friggin life
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:03 am

41southchile wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:47 am
Dosedmonkey wrote:
41southchile wrote:
Whatever the circumstances, govt will look to make an example of him I bet, attempted homicide or whatever that translates to, intentendent for the area doing a querella tomorrow. This guys life just changed forever today.
I don't think the guys life has suddenly changed though. Everything about him makes my skin crawl and I feel he has been on this path for a long time. As admin says, shocked it took this long to arrest him. He should of been deported a long time ago, way to shady a character.

He is just very reminiscent of the random mentally ill shootings that seem to occur in USA on a very frequent basis...
The reason I think his life has changed now is because where as previously he acted with impunity, spouting out shit and doing whatever the hell he felt like in Chile, now he is going to have a shit tonne of justice on his ass be it formal justice or street justice .

As for the last sentence, Blaming mental illness has become such an easy scapegoat and a disservice to those with actual mental illnesses, a lot of the time there is no mental illness at all involved , is far too easy to just say they are mentally Ill.
The US culture is mentally ill. He is a perfectly programmed product of the psychotic American culture. I hope better psychological filters will be used when interviewing all future extranjeros. US exports more than just war. It exports psychos.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:11 am

hlf2888 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:03 am
41southchile wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:47 am
Dosedmonkey wrote:
41southchile wrote:

As for the last sentence, Blaming mental illness has become such an easy scapegoat and a disservice to those with actual mental illnesses, a lot of the time there is no mental illness at all involved , is far too easy to just say they are mentally Ill.
The US culture is mentally ill. He is a perfectly programmed product of the US psychotic culture. I hope better psychological filters will be used when interviewing future extrajeneros. US exports more than just war. It exports psychos.
In Puerto Montt on Saturday morning, about mid morning , full of people, a Dominican guy walked up to another Dominican at a city intersection, had a brief argument, then pulled out a pistol and blew the other guys brains out killing him instantly, he laughed then walked away before he started running a bit faster . There is no such thing as a mentally Ill culture.
I wouldn't put ANY faith in what government does with regards to any future immigration policies. Just saying.

https://www.soychile.cl/Puerto-Montt/Po ... icano.aspx
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:35 am

Not even in the most redist redneck state in the u.s., was that shooting close to legal.

It definitely was not legal in chile, no matter how many pieces of paper you have.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

snobrd4life

Post by snobrd4life » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:51 am

Out of pure curiosity I joined one of the livestreams (which I believe are archived on YouTube) that he put on about 3 weeks ago to get his perspective since he was always touting Chile to be his libertarian paradise. He was telling scared folks to flee if they could and to those that were prepared to fight back against the evildoers to get ready. During that part he pulled out the 45 and waved it right in front of the webcam...

The PDI are not going to need long to build their case to put him away and set a very clear example to any other crazys.
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

Ripsigg

Post by Ripsigg » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:59 am

Ah, saw the video. Poor Johnny, he did nothing wrong. There is nothing wrong with pulling a gun out and shooting in Chile. There could never be anything wrong with that. Lol

To the previous about him being a CIA guy almost tongue in cheek.....I hate that I need self censor myself. I see a couple of connections and I can’t speak about them.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:19 pm

his arrangement is live on tv right now.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:24 pm

among other things, he is being charged with causing the riots that occured after he fired on the crowd.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:26 pm

they also submitted the video where he admitted doing it.

Huelshoff

Post by Huelshoff » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:38 pm

As a US citizen, I'd like to think that we all don't need psychological exams when we leave the country, but I will admit that this guy might be the exception that encourages the rule. I did a bit of reading on this guy. He has his PhD in law and Austrian economics (a debatable term) from George Mason University. The econ program at George Mason was bought up by the Koch brothers some years ago, who have been widely reported as exercising control over faculty hires. To give you an idea of the sort of academics they hire, one of the professors in the department recently brought attention to himself by taking sides with so-called "incels," or people who identify as "involuntarily celibate" after one committed mass murder in frustration for being unable to get a date. I couldn't follow the guy's logic, but the upshot of the argument was that women should be required to have sex with men.

I am not suggesting that Cobin buys into such ridiculous arguments, or that all econ professors at George Mason do, but this is the sort of logic that comes out of the hyper-libertarian focus on individual rights of people like Cobin and is taught at George Mason. It is not a long step from pulling your gun out and shooting up some protesters to protect your individual rights (one thing that caught my attention was that in his online statement he said he was firing to scare them away--and hitting one in the thigh) and the sovereign citizen movement in the US. You can read about sovereign citizens online, but in short they don't believe that they are subject to US law, including things like paying taxes and observing traffic laws. It involves flags, convoluted ways to say I, and secret gold accounts--I don't pretend to follow the argument. Yet sovereign citizens have a distressing tendency to start gunfights when police pulling them over for traffic violations, all in defense of protecting their "right" to drive without a license plate.

I taught political economy for 35 years, more or less, and am quite familiar with libertarian thought. There are lots of different versions of it, and not all lead to the extreme positions taken by Cobin in his Clinic interview, and not all lead one to violence in a deluded attempt to protect one's individual rights. Yet some do. I thought I was leaving this stuff behind when I came to Chile, even neo-liberal Chile.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:41 pm

ohhhh, his defense attorneys knows he is screwed. the attorney is using the "sucker had it coming defense".

my father, as a defense attorney, use to say he only would use the "sucker had it coming" defense, when his clients where caught in broad day light, with hundred witnesses, etc, etc.

but, that only works, sometimes, and with a jury.