State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
thisisreallycomplicated

Re: State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:48 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:24 pm
Anyone know how easy or not it is to rent lodging on a passing through cargo ship?
I've never done it, but researched it a while back. And I just searched on "traveling by ocean freighter", and lots of stuff came up. So it might be a good option, if you don't want to go through the airport in Santiago. I'm going to keep it in mind, in case things get worse.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:10 pm

Thanks Rune and TIRC.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:25 pm

oh, please people this might be the longest most porous boarder in the world. Using a boarder crossing, is just being polite. your bigger problem would be trying to figure out where the boarder is most of the time. It is a bit vague by design.

I know a rancher down south, that their cows wonder in to Argentina to graze during the day, and wonder back at night. The carbinareios on horse back, doing boarder patrol, showed up one day while we were visiting this ranch. we all knew the chilean cows were inside Argentina. so with a wink and a nod, we all jokingly took photos together, stalling for time, while the rancher's kid road up and got the cows back in to chile. They were under orders to shoot the cows if they found them crossing the boarder, but that was another case of stupid orders written in Santiago, that we are all happy to help them subvert in the field.

If cows can figure it out, anyone can.

There are not enophe troops, in all of south America, to close the chilean boarder.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:02 pm

I think the best guess is that this is the new normal for some months and perhaps until the next election. However there is still a lot of uncertainty.

I can confirm that the level of graffiti has exploded in Santiago and Talagante at least.

Shooting looters may not necessarily help things; it could inflame things. What if someone gets caught in the cross fire? What if the masked looter turns out to be a tall child? What if a person running in to the supermarket to fight the looters gets shot? Very risky strategy at best.

Mall Plaza Sur (Ruta 5 going south from Santiago) busy today, business as usual, saw two police in the mall (not normal).

There are repeated incidents in the last week or two including protests and blocking the road (sometimes stopping cars or asking for money) in the area around the Talagante toll booth. 2 neighbours reported being asked for money or order to continue driving along the road.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:26 pm

cali_chile48 wrote:
The government is not showing any signs of understanding the magnitude of this crisis and they have no answer other passing laws against the protesters.
It is not necessarily a problem of not understanding the magnitude of the crisis, but it might be a problem of seeing it from a different perspective. It could be that he does not see the protesters as fellow citizens that are expressing a grievance, but rather as a rising of the serfs against their masters. It seems to me that this would be a good explanation for him saying that 'We are at war'.

It seems that Piñera's wife, Cecilia Morel,, has a better understanding of the solution. This is what she said at the beginning of the protests:
"vamos a tener que disminuir nuestros privilegios y compartir con los demás"

https://latinamericanpost.com/es/30623- ... s-en-chile

mem

Post by mem » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:07 pm

frozen-north wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:26 pm
cali_chile48 wrote:
The government is not showing any signs of understanding the magnitude of this crisis and they have no answer other passing laws against the protesters.
It is not necessarily a problem of not understanding the magnitude of the crisis, but it might be a problem of seeing it from a different perspective. It could be that he does not see the protesters as fellow citizens that are expressing a grievance, but rather as a rising of the serfs against their masters. It seems to me that this would be a good explanation for him saying that 'We are at war'.

It seems that Piñera's wife, Cecilia Morel,, has a better understanding of the solution. This is what she said at the beginning of the protests:
"vamos a tener que disminuir nuestros privilegios y compartir con los demás"

https://latinamericanpost.com/es/30623- ... s-en-chile

I like her, she could have shot running next term if she is seen as one who has a good understanding

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:33 pm

I realise the land boarders are quite open in most of Child. But other points I presume they will control tightly if there is unrest, our relatives are in Santiago region and the closest crossings are pretty mountainess.

The boarders are also tight up on the North with Peru and down south Punta Arenas way. The North because it is awash with minefields. A few years back in a storm mines got swept down under the main boarder bridge, causing days of delays. And down in Punta the Peuto Natales crossing is on low mountains and the more coastal route is covered in tank traps and possibly mines too, all still strategically placed from the 78/79 problems with Argentina. I mean I doubt things will get so bad in Punta you'd ever need to leave though, it is it's own little place.

Would I use a ship from the rest of the country, well no, cargo ships go up to 20 knots, many just 10-15 knots. That's like 18 to 37 kph speeds. Slowwww. Better off getting a car or bus inland and across the boarder.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:43 pm

Just seen a video on Carabineros Twitter. About 20 powerful green laser pens being aimed at their helicopter cockpit simultaneously, completely blinding them. Madness. I noticed the same green laser pens being used at GOPE in Vina del mar yesterday.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:41 am

Dosedmonkey wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:43 pm
Just seen a video on Carabineros Twitter. About 20 powerful green laser pens being aimed at their helicopter cockpit simultaneously, completely blinding them. Madness. I noticed the same green laser pens being used at GOPE in Vina del mar yesterday.
oh it was way more than 20 at plaza itialia the other night. they were showing the video from the helicopter as they approached the plaza.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:48 am

well, as much as pinera and company might be in denial about the crisis, the left is also in denial about what effect this is all going to have. estimates this will be 80,000 to 100,000 jobs lost.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Economia/ ... pleos.html

by the way, I think that number is low; but, too early to get any real figures.

26% drop in value in real estate around the metro stations that were damaged.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:00 am

Dosedmonkey wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:33 pm
I realise the land boarders are quite open in most of Child. But other points I presume they will control tightly if there is unrest, our relatives are in Santiago region and the closest crossings are pretty mountainess.

The boarders are also tight up on the North with Peru and down south Punta Arenas way. The North because it is awash with minefields. A few years back in a storm mines got swept down under the main boarder bridge, causing days of delays. And down in Punta the Peuto Natales crossing is on low mountains and the more coastal route is covered in tank traps and possibly mines too, all still strategically placed from the 78/79 problems with Argentina. I mean I doubt things will get so bad in Punta you'd ever need to leave though, it is it's own little place.

Would I use a ship from the rest of the country, well no, cargo ships go up to 20 knots, many just 10-15 knots. That's like 18 to 37 kph speeds. Slowwww. Better off getting a car or bus inland and across the boarder.
that is why you stick to the well used cow / horse / people smuggling trails. If you see t-bone steaks hanging from the trees, probably not safe to continue. :lol:

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:14 am

If you had to gtfo, a boat is your best option even if it is slow. Don’t forget, even the slowest sailboat can cover 100 miles in 24 hours because it can just keep going 24/7 without traffic, unlike a car. Much better than walking through a mine-trapped desert.