State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
fraggle092

Re: State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:16 pm

41southchile wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:30 pm
Nothing Mickey mouse about it at all.
Thanks, just trying to get an overview instead of looking at individual events, and I could be wrong!
Regarding the outcome, as cali_chile48 said:
cali_chile48 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:38 pm
Piñera's coalition (Chile Vamos) is in the driver's seat for the next two years. The left doesn't have enough seats in Congress to sack Piñera or force a new constitution to be written.
Also, Tomas Bradanovich says the same thing.

But that isn't stopping them from giving it a good old try imho. Teiller did call for Piñera to step down just one day after the rioting started. And why is this happening now? There has been no drastic deterioration in the quality of life in the two years since Bachelet's presidency ended, certainly nothing to justify this reversion to the Dark Ages.

And a country with high levels of obesity, drink and drug consumption, and vehicular congestion, is not a poor one. Hence the immigrants.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:00 pm

cali_chile48 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:53 am
I have lived and worked in Chile for more than ten years. I haven't generally paid much attention to Chilean politics. This article helped me catch up on a lot of issues that I missed the first time around....so....for anyone else on this forum who feels like they need some context in order to understand what is happening currently, this might help:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... ality.html
hey, big thumbs up on that article.

so far, 99.999999% of everything in the international press I have read has been bullshit. often when you read them, they feel like a template the news organizations keep handy for social unrest, so they can quickly insert a new name and date, then push them out for publication.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:09 pm

I think Sr El Puelche's "old boy.....thieves and rascals" comment had some truth in it.

At first I didn't get the appearance of the Joker (haven't not seen the movie) but after reading the description of the plot on wikipedia (note: this gives away everything) I can see the relevance: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joker_(2019_film)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:25 pm

so, congress it seems will not be holding session tomorrow. for those that don't know, congress is only in session three days a week to begin with; but, a national emergency, seems a good time to work even less.

anyway, they voted to admit the project to create a catastrophic health insurance for fonasa. what the hell that means I have no idea, but strikes me as the sort of thing that lefties would love.

well, have look at how they voted. almost every single representative from the left voted against it; yet, this morning they were out in the media complaining that the president had not sent any new projects for them to approve. fucking amazing.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... Salud.html

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:29 pm

there was a funny interview.

a tvn reporter asked a senator, from the UDI no less, if it might not be a good idea for pinera to include more people from congress in his cabinet.

she said something like, "unfortunately, I think congress is hated more than the president right now".

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:43 pm

oooooh, the house of representatives had to reverse their decision to not hold a session tomorrow, and now are falling all over themselves to try and explain it.

Guess that did not play well, to a very fucking pissed off country.

These are the clowns we are supposed to let write a new constitution?

NOT A FUCKING CHANCE!!!!

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:16 pm

The Chilean parliamentary system has always been like this.
En mi concepto, no son pocos los factores que han conducido al país al estado en que se encuentra; ..... Me refiero ¿por qué no decirlo bien alto? a nuestra falta de moralidad pública; sí, la falta de moralidad pública que otros podrían llamar la inmoralidad pública.
Discurso sobre la crisis moral de la República de Enrique Mac Iver (1900)

Another quote: Every nation gets the government it deserves.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:21 pm

Huge protest brewing on plaza Itália. This is far from over
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

mem

Post by mem » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:32 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:21 pm
Too bad its not pouring down rain and cold in Santiago like it is where I'm at

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:52 pm

Gloria wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:31 pm
tiagoabner wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:21 pm
It won't be over until concrete actions happens. Enough of lip service!
Although I agree, I think any concrete changes need to go through the Congress, and they're kind of stuck right now. Which is why we had a couple of marches towards the Congress building in Valparaiso.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:39 pm

Well, I finally received my first inquiry from family in the States about what is happening in Chile and this only because she happens to coordinate shipping of Honda vehicles into South America and probably discovered more details after the San Antonio port workers went on strike.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:56 pm

seems u.k. parliament, in the middle of Brexit mess, has taken time to put in a resolution to pressure chile over human rights abuses taking place here.

hummmm, who got those wankers with their sob stories.