State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
41southchile

Re: State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

Post by 41southchile » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:58 am

Interesting to see the mood change this morning.
Why put the military back out when you can just get fellow citizens to turn on your political opposition and these criminals/invaders?. Have not seen one comment supposedly supporting the fight and the struggle today more like "we finished our protests last week, now we waiting to see what will happen, so fuck you that are destroying "
Well played govt, well played, collateral damage is always part of a war unfortunately.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:02 am

Actually it was the structure next to it to the corner of Santa Rosa and Alameda. I have memories too as my Santiago digs years ago was two blocks away. I met my wife at the fuente across from it, had an angry meeting with the US expat hostel owner who ripped me off at the Mickie Dees there and once went to a disco on the second floor.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:03 am

ghibli wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:55 am
Good morning sirs and madams I notice that no one has yet mentioned the building which burned last night in Santiago. It was the Centro Artesania
across the street from the main library. I have visited there truly dozens of times in the 8 + years I've been here. Nice people. Welcoming. Selling their mostly handmade crafts which are now completely destroyed. I'm sure none of them had insurance. Some of them are young, so they can maybe start over. A few were old fellers selling their little wooden what have yous. Those guys may be left destitute. Of course, there were a few pet cats and a tiny garden. What did they ever do to deserve this? How does this improve the lives of chilenos? That building backs up onto an apartment building - with people in it!

So I'm watching the whole thing burn on the teevee and meanwhile the newsies are emoting away about the numbers of arrested persons who may have been roughed up by the police - possibly tortured or molested even and not a Single Word for all the people whose lives have been destroyed.
I've met some great people in chile, but truly, the savages who are destroying the country should be under the jail.
Its entering a different stage this whole thing I feel, the human rights criers voices will become gradually drowned out by the incredulation of ordinary citizens over what is taking place, the first week was all part of the emotions and adrenaline, now they are truely waking up.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:09 am

I think the Carabineros and PDI in most parts already know or have a good idea who the looters are. In today's local paper, the Carabineros said that it is 200 persons in all the Provincia de San Antonio that have been responsible for the vandalism and looting.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:20 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:09 am
I think the Carabineros and PDI in most parts already know or have a good idea who the looters are. In today's local paper, the Carabineros said that it is 200 persons in all the Provincia de San Antonio that have been responsible for the vandalism and looting.
the new press secretary, pegged it at a very specific number last night. like 6400 people. You dont get that specific, unless you got a head count of some sort.

again, not a hard technical trick of you have access to the telcom databases and social media.

I suspect, and sure as hell hope they are just building the cases, they will announce a large roundup. I would not be surprised to find left politicians rounded up, for having even indirect contact and encouraging the guys burning and looting.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:25 am

for example, your cell phone geolocation shows up inside wall mart at 3 a.m., and you don't work for wall mart or your not cop; pretty good chance you were not shopping.

same with the metros that burned. there night be a few guys that were sufficiently smart to use a stolen phone or remove their chips, but the vast majority of these wankers can not resist the urge to love stream what they are doing.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:28 am

o.k., people i am clamping down on the bullshit. no more disrupting the forum function.

if you troll you loose your account.

if you fill this thread with alien conspiracy theory crap, I am going delete your posts. keep doing it, and loose your account.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:32 am

we are trying to have a real conversation about what is happening in the country and what it means.

disrupt or try to dilute that, and I am simply treating you like any other spammer or troll.

mem

Post by mem » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:48 am

admin wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:25 am
for example, your cell phone geolocation shows up inside wall mart at 3 a.m., and you don't work for wall mart or your not cop; pretty good chance you were not shopping.

same with the metros that burned. there night be a few guys that were sufficiently smart to use a stolen phone or remove their chips, but the vast majority of these wankers can not resist the urge to love stream what they are doing.
Here's to hoping something like this is happening. Of course the cellphone companies would have to be totally cooperative for something like that.
We know there is a small fraction of those doing/supporting criminal acts...they just have to keep locking them up and hopefully throwing away the key under anti terrorism laws.

The depression and melancholy is definiatley setting in among a lot of expats that are seeing no soon end to this becasue of a dogged faction of anarchist criminals.
The whole new constitution thing is another level of sadness becasue it means protracted chaos and uncertainty

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:59 am

I believe that the fact they have photos of everyone in the country certainly helps the face ID technology. I mean, everyone needs to take a pic when getting their cedula, and that picture is linked to your RUT, so we know for a fact that the government does have access to a reasonably complete database.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:01 am

The only thing I'm not familiar with is the legal aspect of it. As in: for what can these pictures be used for, according to Chilean law? I don't know, but this is a question that's central to this discussion. If it's not allowed, then it may be another point to be disputed in court.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:27 am

SCL wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:59 pm
Less than three weeks to the big meeting with the Beast coming earlier.

Does anyone believe that things will be "normal" (meaning no demonstrations or serious disorders) and the meetings will take place without any "contretemps"?

No country is going to risk sending their leaders to a city where people are truly pissed off.

It is not just a few misguided commies or flaites according to e-mails I have received, mr. Admin.--
Things are much more on the worse side than your simplistic comments about Commies. Time to smell the coffee...
What young people send emails. As predominantly this is a under 35 year old riot and arson band it seems.

And in Santiago Demonstrations and serious disorder is pretty normal in Centro. Hence the full time riot police station.