State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
thisisreallycomplicated

Re: State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:37 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:30 am
If this video is to be believed from 1 hour ago

https://facebook.com/watch/?v=418315002436369&_rdr

the portuarios of Valpo are now in paro. Ships were being redirected from San Antonio to Valpo because San Antonio was in paro and now the two main ports of Chile are in paro.
What does "in paro" mean?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:39 am

at46 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:10 am
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:53 pm
So, assuming this is an organized destabilization of South America, what's likely to happen here in Chile? And when?
'They' need a more unified market here in Latin America, to be able to suck it better. Chile made noises about becoming the financial center of LA bla bla and it's corporates operate in several neighboring countries. So it has (or maybe had until recently) the makings of becoming the entry point for the sucking straw. At least for the Spanish part.
Any idea who 'they' are?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:40 am

It is pretty much the only region remaining in the world where you can bring a trillion dollars (or ten) and nobody will ask you where the money came from.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:40 am

Strike/work stoppage.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

papageno

Post by papageno » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:40 am

Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:37 am
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:30 am
If this video is to be believed from 1 hour ago

https://facebook.com/watch/?v=418315002436369&_rdr

the portuarios of Valpo are now in paro. Ships were being redirected from San Antonio to Valpo because San Antonio was in paro and now the two main ports of Chile are in paro.
What does "in paro" mean?
Labor strike

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:43 am

And violent marches especially when CUT/PC whips those millionario workers up.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:44 am

Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:39 am
at46 wrote:
So, assuming this is an organized destabilization of South America, what's likely to happen here in Chile? And when?
'They' need a more unified market here in Latin America, to be able to suck it better. Chile made noises about becoming the financial center of LA bla bla and it's corporates operate in several neighboring countries. So it has (or maybe had until recently) the makings of becoming the entry point for the sucking straw. At least for the Spanish part.
Any idea who 'they' are?
They might be coming here for the Apec next month.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:50 am

at46 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:44 am
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:39 am
at46 wrote:
Any idea who 'they' are?
They might be coming here for the Apec next month.
So the US, China, and Russia? Things are going to be a lot different here.

edit: I just looked it up, and it's more than just the US, China, and Russia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APEC_Chile_2019#Attendees

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:11 am

SCL wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:07 pm
Admin:

You need a break. Take a few days off and you'll be ok. You are pissing against the wind.
You want to troll, get the fuck off my forum.

I am not in the mood for it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Sr. El Puelche

Post by Sr. El Puelche » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:55 am

Let's just say this-----Imagine if you got the two sides together and the real leaders of those in the government and those in opposition---(yes its fantasy) the top two people, alone, on each side with the most real power to effect a resolution---and they have it all to resolve everything in a meeting of an hour-----who would they be and what would be the top ten issues they both want to achieve-----What would it be for the two sides?

####

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:48 am

Sr. El Puelche wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:55 am
Let's just say this-----Imagine if you got the two sides together and the real leaders of those in the government and those in opposition---(yes its fantasy) the top two people, alone, on each side with the most real power to effect a resolution---and they have it all to resolve everything in a meeting of an hour-----who would they be and what would be the top ten issues they both want to achieve-----What would it be for the two sides?

####
2 sides? Yes it is a fantasy, I think someone said , there are no goodies and badies, or us and them.
This is so multifaceted, multi layered, that shit, three quarters of the protestors couldn't even give you a straight answer to that hypothetical question.

Those protesting think they might have a clue, but it's not about no mas AFP, no mas Isapre, eat the rich, new constitution, wage equality, cheap transportation, hand outs, quality education, artesanal fishing rights, low crime, low housing cost, no TAG, more holidays, less work hours, less corruption, less politicians, lower wages for politicians, less police violence, more money for poor comunas, less multinationals, more rights, less responsibility, more liberal marijuana laws, more more more , less less less. Better, better, better etc .

All these actors/pawns , call them what you like, are worse than little children (at least most little children are mostly innocent and naieve) so its probably not fair to compare them to little children).

I did begin to give some thought to your question but it is so hypothetical and presumes so much that I cant even really think of an answer. It would be like saying what religion is the best?

There are no straight forward demands, give them your hand and they will rip it off at the friggin elbow and ask for the other one, there are so many unknowns too and self interests . Just like the original Donald said:
Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know.

If you could in theory say find two leaders that supposedly represented some of these people, nah actually I cant do it, "they" have me stumped, and it is such a fluid and dynamic a situation that you might as well try and aim for peace and conflict resolution in the middle east at the same time as you get these two supposed leaders together.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:55 am

Good morning sirs and madams I notice that no one has yet mentioned the building which burned last night in Santiago. It was the Centro Artesania
across the street from the main library. I have visited there truly dozens of times in the 8 + years I've been here. Nice people. Welcoming. Selling their mostly handmade crafts which are now completely destroyed. I'm sure none of them had insurance. Some of them are young, so they can maybe start over. A few were old fellers selling their little wooden what have yous. Those guys may be left destitute. Of course, there were a few pet cats and a tiny garden. What did they ever do to deserve this? How does this improve the lives of chilenos? That building backs up onto an apartment building - with people in it!

So I'm watching the whole thing burn on the teevee and meanwhile the newsies are emoting away about the numbers of arrested persons who may have been roughed up by the police - possibly tortured or molested even and not a Single Word for all the people whose lives have been destroyed.
I've met some great people in chile, but truly, the savages who are destroying the country should be under the jail.