State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Desmanes

Post by admin » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:20 am

watching the news, reading various comments in the papers, I still have not seen one person come up with an explanation or even semi-legit excuse for this.

this one women they interviewed said it was because "the carbinareios are the most corrupt police in latin America".

really? she obviously does not get out much.

another i have seen is because they raised the price of electricity 10%.

really?

AFP, price of drugs, etc,

etc, etc, all bullshit excuses.

All of them do have one thing in common. They are all rich country problems. This is not poor indians in Ecuador sort of problems. I am sure every country in Latin America ( and most of the world) wishes they had these sorts of problems.

There was one guy, with a bit of a reason. He blamed it on the lack of increase in wages, while the government allowed in so many immigrants. Still, pretty stretched with what happened last night.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:42 am

The official statement from the general managing the actions listed 308 arrests, 11 civilians tag reported being wounded by the police, 156 wounded cops (5 with serious wounds) and 41 (!!) Metro stations damaged in the protests. Social media threads list more wounded protestors and 2 deaths, but those haven't been confirmed by an official source yet.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:45 am

This is one justification that's making the rounds on the internet:

"Besides what my kinsman mention in the other comments there has been 0 disposition from the government to advance in social policies, like diminishing the maximum amount of hours that people work in a week (from 44 to 40), refusal to adjust minimal wages, there has also been cuttings in the health budget leading to hospitals been unable to perform surgeries and basic services, the cops repressive ways in pacific protest and so on, and so on.

Long story short, the 4% increase was the straw that broke the camel's back."

"How other people mentioned to you that was the cherry on the cake but this goverment has been horrendous in terms of adapting this new times when the people knows that the goverment is at your service, they are not doing you a favor, so you can talk shit about a growing economic but that never reflects on people or social services. Moreover in the last year several cases of corruption and abuse of the holes in the laws has coming to light, also with several cases of enviromental contamination with entire cities affected (people becoming sick by toxic waste spreaded), and stuff like that in Chile only privates owns the water resourses so in resume, Chile has become an empty shell of itself, the goverment (in consecuence the people) doesn't own anything in terms of natural resourses, all belongs to foreginers because they sell it, even highways, etc in every level, in consecuense the cost of life is always rising but not the salaries or the social services, so people struggle to make it to the end of the month."

Which sounds like a pile of bullshit to me. Yeah, these are the type of things you protest about, not the type of thing you put things on fire for.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:50 am

Online people mostly talk about the "last drop": more and more rising fees while salaries do not grow and public services like free medicine collapse (hospital in Valdivia is in crisis, there are years of wait for simple but not-urgent surgeries).

I agree, this government isn't doing much to solve the pressing social problems and they consistently fail to build a rapport with the public.

Surely, screw burning things. A nationwide strike and/or civil disobedience would be better but that's how things go here.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:51 am

Interesting graph: minimum wage increase, metro increases and inflation in Chile:

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:54 am

Space Cat wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:50 am
Online people mostly talk about the "last drop": more and more rising fees while salaries do not grow and public services like free medicine collapse (hospital in Valdivia is in crisis, there are years of wait for simple but not-urgent surgeries).

I agree, this government isn't doing much to solve the pressing social problems and they consistently fail to build a rapport with the public.

Surely, screw burning things. A nationwide strike and/or civil disobedience would be better but that's how things go here.
I agree that Piñera's government should have hired a good PR firm, like, last year. After all, politics is all about keeping a good image.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:00 am

and congress is going to have an "emergency" session today at, drum roll please, 4:30 p.m.

lazzzzzzzy, over paid, ....

I say we cut Congress pay, to subsidize the metro. :lol:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:06 am

admin wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:20 am
There was one guy, with a bit of a reason. He blamed it on the lack of increase in wages, while the government allowed in so many immigrants. Still, pretty stretched with what happened last night.
Just heard the same on CHV by a woman in the street witnessing the Plaza Maipu Metro cleanup. Add the housing and daycare slots where the foreigners are considered more at risk and given priority over born and raised Chileans.
Que será, será.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:07 am

admin wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:00 am
and congress is going to have an "emergency" session today at, drum roll please, 4:30 p.m.

lazzzzzzzy, over paid, ....

I say we cut Congress pay, to subsidize the metro. :lol:
Dissolving the Congress like Peru, Venezuela :twisted:
Que será, será.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:08 am

I wonder what it takes for Congress to have a real emergency meeting, say, within 6 hours after a given event (so all congressman within the country have time to catch a flight). Usually I would say that putting the capital on fire would give cause to that, but it seems this is not the case.

Do you have resources/links to share on Chilean congressmen being overpaid, admin?

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:08 am

People in Chile have some screwed up ways of thinking when they think what governments role is and how it should operate . Need to look in the mirror first a lot of them, but na far to easy to blame the govt . Call it disillusioned or whatever, but Turnout in the elections following Chile's transition from compulsory to voluntary voting in 2012 has dipped as low as 42 percent, near the bottom of developed countries, according to statistics from the International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance.
Guess it's easier to complain and burn shit that have a bit of self reflection on ones place and role in society .
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:21 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:08 am
Do you have resources/links to share on Chilean congressmen being overpaid, admin?
It's almost a meme by now, they still haven't readjusted it since 2014:
https://ciperchile.cl/2014/06/11/democr ... e-la-ocde/
diputadosgrafico1.jpg