State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
tiagoabner

Re: Desmanes

Post by tiagoabner » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:47 am

I saw a couple of helicopters flying in formation a few minutes ago, as well as military convoys going through Bellavista.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:53 am

Just another uneventful day here in Coquimbo. I saw this thread earlier, and didn't think much of it. Then I saw this on drudgereport, so thought I'd post it:
http://news.trust.org/item/20191019000159-ple8z
"Chile shuts down capital city metro as violent protests spread"

Then I saw how busy this thread was, so I read it :shock:

I wonder if this is related (I haven't read it, just saw the headline on drudge above the other one):
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation ... 58643.html
"Latin America awash in troubles amid protests, uprisings and a distracted Washington"

Anyway, back to my (so far) uneventful day...
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:01 am

And now this from zerohedge:
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... t-imminent
"6 Warning Signs That Civil Unrest Is Imminent"

ruh roh
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:10 am

well, this the crap you get when you do the 'oooh, poor protesters and their human rights' crap, year, after, year. There will be zero consequences for those lightning fires, even if arrested. The judges will cut them loose.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:16 am

The police were being criticized when they used tear gas and water cannons.

I watched a few years ago 5 or 6 protesters corner a cop, they were hitting her, clear case of self-defense, and she did not shoot. they know if they fire their gun, their carrier is over.

but, putting the military on the streets, big, big mistake. that is just a cat call for all the little commies on the left.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:21 am

i just watched a clip on the news of a police van, with like ten kids hitting it with 2x4s. the cops just sitting in side. no one is going to jail for that.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:33 am

yea and this has nothing to do with metro. It was just an excuse. raising the price of ticket like 20 cents, does not do that.

if it was not this, it would have been something else.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:53 am

And so the exodus from Santiago will continue, had no idea any of this was happening. Santiago no es Chile y Santiago no es stress free, this may help make up more people's minds to get out.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:58 am

here is the problem.

seems more carbinareios were injured last night, like a 126, than they arrested protesters like 80.

Does that make any sense at all?

and, these are not poor people struggling to make ends meet or some crap like that. this is middle class kids. That is the difference between these protests and what is going on in the rest of Latin America.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:21 am

A Saturday morning forest walk in our development with the sound of birds singing and the Economist audio playing as I walk along. Santiago is fun to visit, but screw living there, guess that's just me and my rural upbringing bias.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:08 am

I'm with you on that. Humans were not engineered to live in cities, at least not that many.

cali_chile48

Post by cali_chile48 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:14 am

The increase in the subway fares was one more stress point on top of a mountain of stress points for people in Santiago. We can make a short list of legitimate complaints fairly easily....the increase in the metro fares, the recent increases in electricity, the stagnating wages, the miserable pensions that workers receive, the excessive costs of a decent education, the excessive interest rates that people have to pay on their credit cards and student loans, the numerous examples of corruption and collusion among the elite, the generally inhumane conditions of city life, etc etc etc. Of course the people are frustrated and angry.

I am not condoning the violence, and I know there are a large number of anarchists who just want chaos and who have no interest in or knowledge about larger social and economic issues. They should be punished more severely. The violence has huge costs economically, ecologically and socially, and it will hurt the very people who have the legitimate right to complain about the systematic unfairness in Chilean society more than any other group.

From what I have seen on the news this morning, the subway system in Santiago will be out of service for at least a couple of weeks. I don-t think is over yet.

And yes, it´s good to be far away, in a quiet coastal town.