State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
at46

Re: State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

Post by at46 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:25 am

One of my neighbours in Canada was part of this local militia group that met with the police for coordination and training once in a while. He was from Hungary and told me it's the same system they had in all of the Soviet block countries. I'm sure the US has something like this also, probably on the state level. Why they don't have it in Chile even though Chile copies everything from the West, is beyond me.

Sr. El Puelche

Post by Sr. El Puelche » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:06 am

There have been posts about this being "organized."

It comes on two levels but really one level.

The first is the local militants belong to known or clandestine groups are given direction to with locally generated monies-----donations or robbing banks.
Monies are used to pay materials for the event and spent on paying the leaders and providing visual aids in the way of flags, banners and posters----then if it gets violent, it does and if not, it doesn't. Payment or equal quid pro quo, in the the old days of land take overs to form poblaciones, it was surveying for properties or some kind of utility-----not necessarily paying for it but bribing the right municipal people to okay the work as well local elected officials to get it rolling.

During Allende, from declassified documents we know US President Nixon conferred with Secretary State Kissinger to direct the C** to begin operations and action to de-stabilize.

How do they do that? The C** is not going to show up and cash out protesters from a table on the street. C** operatives out of the embassy go to union leaders and offer money, a lot of it, to pay union workers to go on strike-----undoubtedly unions leaders are attracted this with the incentive to keep some of the cash while adding to union coffers at the promise of paying union members for not working-----A union leader is not going to the bidding of anyone unless there is money in it for them and they can look famous to members----not enough money in the coffers anyway and why would they spend it on free money----there job is to money out of the members----so between 3 and 6 million was funneled into Chilean Unions for this purpose-----classic action was the truckers strike during Allende------even paying workers to stay home while still getting paid and therefore reduce productions----there are a bunch of ways to do it.

Now present day-----organization is going to come the same way----through the unions. Money funneled in, all cash I sure if its happening-----Union members are not just not going to work----they need it to survive like everyone else. Local militants could be organizing on the street level right now in a small way----maybe even getting a little money form somebody outside Chile but not like the unions. Look for that and what exactly union leaders say----probably inadvertently they will slip up. After this is all over the government should look at those accounts----bet it will be a big difference say two months ago and what it has been lately------they will slip and slide out of it I am sure but it will be there if its actually going on.

The question there is too, who would be the big money in this? Maybe Venezuela but look at them right now-----to me it would most likely be Venezuella but with monies given to them as a conduit from big money and to be handed down? Who would that be? Probably Russia or China but most likely China-----lots of Chinese investment in Chile. Could be a dark horse somewhere like Bolivia or Ecuador, hard to say at this point.

####

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:02 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:28 pm
Haven't heard hardly any shots tonight and a drunken lady singing at a makeshift bonfire in the street in front of the condo with a small group from the nearby poblacion banging pots, shouting and blasting Jara and Prisionero music. No militar or Carabinero in sight or passing by.

It is like the military is intentionally standing down.
The one major 'mistake' that has been made is putting the military on the streets to prevent crime. They need to have them discreetly located as a reactionary force, to back up police and the civilians once a crime has been reported. Yes more deaths and destruction, but this is a war of hearts, not protecting property or even lives it seems. Pinera tried to do the best thing for the people, protecting them, instead of allowing them hell first and the military becoming a saviour after.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:06 am

at46 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:25 am
One of my neighbours in Canada was part of this local militia group that met with the police for coordination and training once in a while. He was from Hungary and told me it's the same system they had in all of the Soviet block countries. I'm sure the US has something like this also, probably on the state level. Why they don't have it in Chile even though Chile copies everything from the West, is beyond me.
Europe and Canada don't have this. So the west does not really have this. US is based on the wild west sometimes it seems, from what is on the news, which is just the movies for the rest of the world.

at46

Post by at46 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:18 am

SCL wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:39 am
The question that has to be asked according to a reliable Chilean journalist:

¿Por qué el gobierno llegó a este extremo?
The fucking journos have to ask themselves how come they've never noticed what was going on. It used to be their job to report on the issues, before they sold out to the marketing industry.

at46

Post by at46 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:23 am

Dosedmonkey wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:06 am
at46 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:25 am
Europe and Canada don't have this. So the west does not really have this. US is based on the wild west sometimes it seems, from what is on the news, which is just the movies for the rest of the world.
Well, we do have that system in Canada, although, like I said, most people would never know. I only learnt about it because my neighbour was part of that militia, or whatever it's called.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:37 am

Who's making money at the moment? Sellers of OSB boards to cover up windows, especially here in Puerto Varas. Pasta and rice etc and tinned can food manufacturers and sellers (shelves are bare but frantically being restocked this morning), generator sellers, fuel sellers, just from my morning observations.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

at46

Post by at46 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:17 am

Sr. El Puelche wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:06 am
There have been posts about this being "organized."

The question there is too, who would be the big money in this? Maybe Venezuela but look at them right now-----to me it would most likely be Venezuella but with monies given to them as a conduit from big money and to be handed down? Who would that be? Probably Russia or China but most likely China-----lots of Chinese investment in Chile. Could be a dark horse somewhere like Bolivia or Ecuador, hard to say at this point.
####
There's probably more British Commonwealth investment here than everybody else combined. China/Russia would not burn it up just for fun even if they could, which they can't.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:25 am

hey, I hate to say it, but so far the poor got punked in all of this and most don't even understand how they got punked.

someone earlier thought it unsightly for me to keep talking about the markets and financial news in chile in the middle of all this.

Well this is why I was keeping such a close eye on the financial papers: because that is where the real news happens in chile. the rest is bullshit entertainment for the masses. little more than football scores, pictures of girls with big tits, and celebrity gossip.

Just to start:

the lower interest rates announced by the central bank, the rich and the corporations get that rate, so they can lend money to the poor at a higher rate. Very few metro riders will ever get that 1.75 rate.

Then we have this 40% income tax on people making more than 8 million a month. Before pinera even stepped on stage, most of tax lawyers and accountants in the country already knew how to get around that. 99% of wealth, of the 1%, or even top 10 to 20% of the country, is safely invested in corporations or real estate, etc, etc. They will just pay themselves 7,999,9999 pesos a month, and their wife, and their kids, and their dog, etc, etc. actually the ones that get screwed will be the small business owners, and people that work in high salary jobs directly for a company. The "professional class", let's call them.

https://www.df.cl/noticias/economia-y-p ... 80029.html

As for the companies that literally got "burned", they all have insurance. fallabela came out the other day with a press release to reassure their investors they were fully covered for the damages. I am sure there will be more press releases from the big companies about this as they crunch the numbers. Even the metro is covered:

https://www.df.cl/noticias/mercados/seg ... 21537.html

I doubt any of the workers that depend on the metro to make a living, have insurance to cover loosing their job, having to drive to work, higher prices at the, no longer, local grocery store, etc, etc.

1.2 billion dollar social package from pinera is a frigen rounding error in calculating the GDP of the country; but, I am sure it sounds like a big number to people making 300,000 pesos a month.

Not sure all that much has changed, even of this is passed by Congress; it will just be matter of how long it takes for those struggling to make ends meet, to figure out.

bread and circus. bread and circus.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:34 am

The small businesses such as tour guides and hostels (we had begun working with them and have hosted entrepreneurs meetings here in our barn/bar/bbqhouse/classroom/meetingroom/workshop/office we just call it "the brain" for simplicity) guess what? They have lost a shit load of business through cancellations, they will pull through, but its going to be harder yup, the ones who have been punked are the poor and small businesses.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:42 am

My bank rung me yesterday , just to check in 🤔. Strange but nice I guess. See if I was alright . Had a big chat with the cust service rep, she was trying to hold it together, after the official bank spiel, about branches closed and hours of operation, and if I needed anything from them , I told them lower interest rate on my mortgage, she was talking about what it's been like last few days, sounded pretty stressed and emotional tbh. My bank manager rung before and asked me to come in and sign papers for lower interest rate. Never seen service like that in Chile, strange times. Well they did offer me a loan in 2015 after Calbuco explosion as well, but no one have rung up from the call center.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:47 am

What is really amazing to me, everytime I try to figure out how one of these "caveman and clubs" type situation is going to play out, there is only about ten books on my shelf I reach for, and almost all of them were written a 1000 years ago. perhaps the newest ones are a couple hundred years old.

among the 'how to manuals' there is like, Sun Tzu, Plato's republic, perhaps the rise and fall of the Roman empire. got some adam smith, Nicolás Maquiavelo, perhaps david Hume, etc etc. perhaps the newest one on the block is old karl Marx, even if just to know what the other guys are readying.

There are no "modern monetary theory' crap, or 'capital in the 21st century' books involved. Even if they are relevant or right, one of the above old school authors probably already said it. they are just repackaging it.

in other words, none of this shit is new.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.