Quarantine requirements for all travelers to Chile (UPDATE 2, Jan 7th)

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
Jamers41
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:11 pm

Re: Mandatory quarantine requirements for all travelers to Chile (UPDATE 2, Jan 7th)

Post by Jamers41 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:41 pm

BOBSYDOW@VERIZON.NET wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:09 am
Thank you admin, nwdiver, and donnybrook2 for your practical advice in how things are, which is why i looked for this site and came here. I listened to all of it, and I appreciate it, and I will follow your kind advice.

I do read the Chilean government advisories and the US Embassy site every other day or so. I did not read prior posts on this forum. I just found this site the other day and figured people here would know what's going on. I assumed it was OK to ask a question without reading the whole site first, but perhaps that was wrong. I didn't realize it was a membership club.

For some others, it seems that even travel forums now are a place to display hostility and mockery. I hope this will pass with the virus. I'll stay away, as you desire, because of the firm and cordial advice of the people who did not react with disdain from the anonymous safety of their keyboard. There's no need for that attitude. Courtesy works fine.
Sorry if the attitude displayed by some here felt harsh, I myself try to avoid doing this to others taking the time to ask questions here on the forum. That said, you would not be the first person in Chile coming from a "developed" part of the world with the impression that exceptions to rules can be made when enough money is involved, and you also would not be the first person on this forum who asked a question, received advice, and then gave the impression that said advice would be ignored. Both of those elements combined don't give off good vibes.

I totally understand the thought that an outdoor activity like fly fishing is pretty safe in terms of the possibility of viral infection, you are not alone, there is a good portion of the Chilean population that thinks the rules are stupid too. Unfortunately the logic from the authorities is that, even if doing a safe activity in an area not under any type of quarantine, the travel just to get there adds risk, and they seem to be OK with the lost economic activity that prohibiting this travel implies.

BOBSYDOW@VERIZON.NET
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:31 am

Re: Mandatory quarantine requirements for all travelers to Chile (UPDATE 2, Jan 7th)

Post by BOBSYDOW@VERIZON.NET » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:05 pm

Thanks for the note, Jamers41. The line about spending was a dumb throwaway line and I should not have used it. I know the Customs pros and health authorities don't care what's in the gringos' pockets. I meant it in relation to our guides and the lodge owner and his chef and family, who really count on us every year and are really hurting. I meant once we are heading OUT of the country from SCL, they would logically put us on the plane and get us out of there rather than detain us. (Except, now that I know, the part about requiring the $65K first. Each.)

I came here because the owner/guide has an understandable incentive to say "It's all fine, come on down!" Some people here were kind enough to share an unbiased and detailed view, and it was information I found nowhere else. I had no idea that the hospitals in Patagonia, which once treated a stroke for me, are full, and no idea the authorities are physically visiting your location to check on you. That would have been a disaster for all concerned, not just us anglers. We look at your situation (even after the recent rise, your infection and death rates per 100,000 are 80% below ours) and figure you look in pretty good shape. Wrong, I guess.

I hope all this sacrifice helps Chile avoid the situation we have in Southern California now.

thomas2021
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:45 pm

Re: Mandatory quarantine requirements for all travelers to Chile (UPDATE 2, Jan 7th)

Post by thomas2021 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:11 pm

Hi everyone:

Please don't jump all over me for asking questions that you think are obvious. We were in Chile last time in 2018. Didn't apply for residency at the time and want to come back now and stay 6 months in Chile and 6 months in Argentina. Is this still possible on tourist visas? We don't have any intention to travel around, just want to be back in Patagonia. Your thoughts?

Thanks!

User avatar
tiagoabner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1249
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:48 am
Location: Concón

Re: Mandatory quarantine requirements for all travelers to Chile (UPDATE 2, Jan 7th)

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:56 pm

thomas2021 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:11 pm
Hi everyone:

Please don't jump all over me for asking questions that you think are obvious. We were in Chile last time in 2018. Didn't apply for residency at the time and want to come back now and stay 6 months in Chile and 6 months in Argentina. Is this still possible on tourist visas? We don't have any intention to travel around, just want to be back in Patagonia. Your thoughts?

Thanks!
Chile is currently open for tourists, so it should be possible to get in and get a visa on arrival, assuming you meet all the government's requirements (PCR test, Covid-covering travel insurance, 14-day quarantine on arrival). Most nationalities can get up to 90 days on a tourist visa, but that can be renewed once. Each county ("comuna") has different rules on whether or not it's in lockdown at a given time, so you may need to do a lot of planning in order to actually get from Santiago to Patagonia. Also, rules may change without notice, so you should only travel if you're willing/able to stay for longer should things change.

Regarding Argentina, you'll most likely need to research elsewhere. Last time I checked, they were closed to non-essential travel. But that was months ago and things may have changed.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

papageno
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:46 pm
Location: Colorado & Puerto Varas

Re: Mandatory quarantine requirements for all travelers to Chile (UPDATE 2, Jan 7th)

Post by papageno » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:29 pm

thomas2021 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:11 pm
Hi everyone:

Please don't jump all over me for asking questions that you think are obvious. We were in Chile last time in 2018. Didn't apply for residency at the time and want to come back now and stay 6 months in Chile and 6 months in Argentina. Is this still possible on tourist visas? We don't have any intention to travel around, just want to be back in Patagonia. Your thoughts?

Thanks!
Either country, you could end up TRAPPED, at least for a while Think about it...

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 8344
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Somewhere south of Valpo

Re: Mandatory quarantine requirements for all travelers to Chile (UPDATE 2, Jan 7th)

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:05 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:56 pm
thomas2021 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:11 pm
Hi everyone:

Please don't jump all over me for asking questions that you think are obvious. We were in Chile last time in 2018. Didn't apply for residency at the time and want to come back now and stay 6 months in Chile and 6 months in Argentina. Is this still possible on tourist visas? We don't have any intention to travel around, just want to be back in Patagonia. Your thoughts?

Thanks!
Chile is currently open for tourists, so it should be possible to get in and get a visa on arrival, assuming you meet all the government's requirements (PCR test, Covid-covering travel insurance, 14-day quarantine on arrival). Most nationalities can get up to 90 days on a tourist visa, but that can be renewed once. Each county ("comuna") has different rules on whether or not it's in lockdown at a given time, so you may need to do a lot of planning in order to actually get from Santiago to Patagonia. Also, rules may change without notice, so you should only travel if you're willing/able to stay for longer should things change.

Regarding Argentina, you'll most likely need to research elsewhere. Last time I checked, they were closed to non-essential travel. But that was months ago and things may have changed.
The quarantine is 10 days (shortenable to 7 days with a SECOND in-Chile neg PCR test) for all who have not been to the UK in the past 14 days. It is 14 days for CITIZENS and RESIDENTS who have been to the UK in the past 14 days. Foreigners who have been to the UK in the past 14 days are not allowed entry into Chile.
Que será, será.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22974
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Mandatory quarantine requirements for all travelers to Chile (UPDATE 2, Jan 7th)

Post by admin » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:08 pm

as far as I know, argentina has closed its boarders again for tourists / none-residents; but, I have not been following in recent weeks.

You can enter chile and apply for residency, but be ready for changes at any moment, and staying a long time.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

thomas2021
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:45 pm

Re: Mandatory quarantine requirements for all travelers to Chile (UPDATE 2, Jan 7th)

Post by thomas2021 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:11 pm

The maximum we can stay is 6 months. Is that still the max visa allowed for Americans?

Thanks for this great forum. You've done a great job with it.

thomas2021
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:45 pm

Re: Mandatory quarantine requirements for all travelers to Chile (UPDATE 2, Jan 7th)

Post by thomas2021 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:22 pm

So, fly into Santiago, get to our destination immediately, get groceries for 10 days and hunker down? Is that how it works? Thanks.

thomas2021
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:45 pm

Re: Mandatory quarantine requirements for all travelers to Chile (UPDATE 2, Jan 7th)

Post by thomas2021 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:25 pm

papageno wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:29 pm
thomas2021 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:11 pm
Hi everyone:

Please don't jump all over me for asking questions that you think are obvious. We were in Chile last time in 2018. Didn't apply for residency at the time and want to come back now and stay 6 months in Chile and 6 months in Argentina. Is this still possible on tourist visas? We don't have any intention to travel around, just want to be back in Patagonia. Your thoughts?

Thanks!
Either country, you could end up TRAPPED, at least for a while Think about it...
Staying longer than 6 months in Chile would be great, but I think the max is 6 months.

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 8344
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Somewhere south of Valpo

Re: Mandatory quarantine requirements for all travelers to Chile (UPDATE 2, Jan 7th)

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:51 pm

thomas2021 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:11 pm
The maximum we can stay is 6 months. Is that still the max visa allowed for Americans?

Thanks for this great forum. You've done a great job with it.
In-tramite visa application, you can stay till approved or denied as it supersedes your original tourist visa.
thomas2021 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:22 pm
So, fly into Santiago, get to our destination immediately, get groceries for 10 days and hunker down? Is that how it works? Thanks.
Technically, you are not supposed to go out shopping even if it is for your quarantine. I know, lots of holes and bs in these regs
Que será, será.

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 8344
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Somewhere south of Valpo

Re: Mandatory quarantine requirements for all travelers to Chile (UPDATE 2, Jan 7th)

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:59 pm

And latest news for US travelers, beginning Jan 26, to fly into the States, you will need to show a three day or less negative PCR test or documentation of recovery from the virus. So US citizens can be denied entry to the US via air for a positive PCR test or refusal to take a PCR test.
Que será, será.

Post Reply