Back in the US since I first came to Chile

In Chile, when the old, crazy, and infirm are institutionalized and set out in a wheelchair on the patio to drool all over each other they are referred to as “locos de patio”. This is where we keep our locos de patio on the All Chile Forum.

Registration required to read, 200 posts and 1 year to post in this forum. A work in progress.
Forum rules
Only members with 200 posts and 1 year on the forum are allowed to post. Must register to read. Work in progress.
momof3

Back in the US since I first came to Chile

Post by momof3 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:57 pm

For those of you who are curious about my return to the USA.

http://gringadchicureo.com/2012/12/27/b ... e-changed/
We agree to disagree.

Donnybrook

Re: Back in the US since I first came to Chile

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:14 pm

I wondered where you were.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:29 pm

Didn't missed you at all. :|
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:55 am

virgin returner. I always went through the initial excitement over the food in the States for a couple of days; then once my belly was full and I started looking around, I would go through the 'why the hell am I here, and how the hell do I get out of this place'.

I did that a few times, every time a bit longer, until I just quit having the urge to go back at all. I think it directly coincided with the point I forgot about the food.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:22 am

My experience mirrors Charles. My yearly or so visit is never longer than two weeks or I would go crazy. But family obligations insist I continue with these infrequent visits and the consolation prize is three suitcases full of items from consumer paradise USA.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

T_ROBO

Post by T_ROBO » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:43 am

Yeah, my experience also mirrors that of eeuunikkeiexpat, except that I was allowed only 2 suitcases full of things :-) for each trip. My returns were so frequent that now I do not have to bring anything for myself (except for a few books) or for friends (they also had everything they need).
The things I enjoyed the most in the US are the cold weather for Christmas, and football games.
TP

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:55 am

Three suitcases "implies" traveling back to Chile in business class (25,000 miles plus $350 in the low season). And at biz class checkin at LAX, you get to wait and watch while your stuff is screened by the TSA dweebs who will put your non-TSA combo lock back on if they need to open anything.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

greg~judy

Post by greg~judy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:02 am

admin wrote:virgin returner. I always went through the initial excitement over the food in the States for a couple of days; then once my belly was full and I started looking around, I would go through the 'why the hell am I here, and how the hell do I get out of this place'.

I did that a few times, every time a bit longer, until I just quit having the urge to go back at all. I think it directly coincided with the point I forgot about the food.
~
we can basically concur <mirror> admin - up to a point...
we also wonder wtf is going on, as we surround ourselves with western dysfunction...
but yo, we need harken to the annual glutton~fest of the <almost> best dimsum and sushi in the western whirld...
< you may guess where...?>

also, like E~, we have yearly "family obligations"...
and fill suitcases w/ various~sundry goodies etc...
for our return to our self-imposed xpat~dom as citoyens du monde...

but if the question is ever begged...
could we ever return to said western paradigm and actually ?"exist"?
well, any cognoscenti who share our long-term xpat~dom need not answer that - we already know.

:alien:
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa

john

Post by john » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:42 pm

admin wrote:virgin returner. I always went through the initial excitement over the food in the States for a couple of days; then once my belly was full and I started looking around, I would go through the 'why the hell am I here, and how the hell do I get out of this place'.

It helps when one's visits are confined to "Middle America". :wink:
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell