Banking

In Chile, when the old, crazy, and infirm are institutionalized and set out in a wheelchair on the patio to drool all over each other they are referred to as “locos de patio”. This is where we keep our locos de patio on the All Chile Forum.

Registration required to read, 200 posts and 1 year to post in this forum. A work in progress.
Forum rules
Only members with 200 posts and 1 year on the forum are allowed to post. Must register to read. Work in progress.
gato

Banking

Post by gato » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:08 pm

This topic is to post any notes of interest, observations, and the other miscellaneous things with regard to Chilean banking (and also overseas banking -- if it is related to Chile one way or another).
The time that you spend reading this sentence could be employed to better advantage in almost any other way.

gato

Re: Banking

Post by gato » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:09 pm

There is a pretty nice bank in the U.S., and it is called "BCI Miami Branch". We site: www.bcimiami.com

Not much is said on their website, that is quite poor, and they claim to be very "separate" unit from BCI Chile proper. They want USD $50.000.oo "initial deposit" BTW to open accounts with them.

What is interesting, "...it is not our practices to open accounts at 'Bci Miami Branch' if you reside in Chile and do not maintain an account in one of our Bci Chile branches...", so their Personal Banking Group would say. Source of the quote: undisclosed.
The time that you spend reading this sentence could be employed to better advantage in almost any other way.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:14 pm

gato wrote:There is a pretty nice bank in the U.S., and it is called "BCI Miami Branch". We site: http://www.bcimiami.com

Not much is said on their website, that is quite poor, and they claim to be very "separate" unit from BCI Chile proper. They want USD $50.000.oo "initial deposit" BTW to open accounts with them.

What is interesting, "...it is not our practices to open accounts at 'Bci Miami Branch' if you reside in Chile and do not maintain an account in one of our Bci Chile branches...", so their Personal Banking Group would say. Source of the quote: undisclosed.

many of our clients have accounts in BCI miami, they are all chilean export companies...., thats why it exists, make life easier for international business... not for expats!

john

Post by john » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:05 am

Px,

Pretty funny. :lol:

I experienced an interesting problem during the past two weeks. I initiated a wire transfer (my first from outside Chile) from my US Citibank account to my Banco de Chile account on June 6 but when I followed up (via on-line inquiry) a couple of days later to see if it had been credited to my Banco de Chile account I discovered it had not. I immediately called Citbank and requested that they check with Banco de Chile to see if there had been a transmission error which Citibank agreed to do. I followed up a few days later with Citibank and they told me that Banco de Chile had not responded to their email messages requesting confirmation of the wire transfer funds. I then contacted the Branch Manager at Banco de Chile in Renaca (where I have my account) and she agreed to investigate the matter and get back to me. She emailed me this morning indicating that the wire transfer funds would be credited to my account either today or tomorrow (they were credited to my account today). She informed me that Banco de Chile had sent a letter to my Vina address requesting beneficiary verification and that they were waiting for my response to their letter. She had no explanation for Banco de Chile's lack of response to Citibank's emails.

The moral of this story is that if you are not physically located in Chile and are sending funds via International Wire Transfer to a bank account in Chile, for which you are the beneficiary, please notify your bank manager in advance so that he/she can run interference for you.

I appreciate that this will have no current relevancy to those of you who have been unable to open up a bank account in Chile. :cry:
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:11 am

john wrote:Px,

Pretty funny. :lol:

I experienced an interesting problem during the past two weeks. I initiated a wire transfer (my first from outside Chile) from my US Citibank account to my Banco de Chile account on June 6 but when I followed up (via on-line inquiry) a couple of days later to see if it had been credited to my Banco de Chile account I discovered it had not. I immediately called Citbank and requested that they check with Banco de Chile to see if there had been a transmission error which Citibank agreed to do. I followed up a few days later with Citibank and they told me that Banco de Chile had not responded to their email messages requesting confirmation of the wire transfer funds. I then contacted the Branch Manager at Banco de Chile in Renaca (where I have my account) and she agreed to investigate the matter and get back to me. She emailed me this morning indicating that the wire transfer funds would be credited to my account either today or tomorrow (they were credited to my account today). She informed me that Banco de Chile had sent a letter to my Vina address requesting beneficiary verification and that they were waiting for my response to their letter. She had no explanation for Banco de Chile's lack of response to Citibank's emails.

The moral of this story is that if you are not physically located in Chile and are sending funds via International Wire Transfer to a bank account in Chile, for which you are the beneficiary, please notify your bank manager in advance so that he/she can run interference for you.

I appreciate that this will have no current relevancy to those of you who have been unable to open up a bank account in Chile. :cry:
if it was BCI you could complain because they have a big drive on customer servie, we got called yesterday from BCI to see how the service was!!!!, i notice banco de chile is not going down that path like the other banks are!!! (or atleast their website is not covered in marketing material)

john

Post by john » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:09 am

BCI may indeed provide better customer service than Banco de Chile. However, I don't have any alternative as BCI turned down my account application ... which is why I am with Banco de Chile.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell