Chile bugs!

In Chile, when the old, crazy, and infirm are institutionalized and set out in a wheelchair on the patio to drool all over each other they are referred to as “locos de patio”. This is where we keep our locos de patio on the All Chile Forum.

Registration required to read, 200 posts and 1 year to post in this forum. A work in progress.
Forum rules
Only members with 200 posts and 1 year on the forum are allowed to post. Must register to read. Work in progress.
peregrine77

Chile bugs!

Post by peregrine77 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:32 pm

We are very fortunate to have had exceptionally good health. Many years in a row without even a cold, sometimes even ten years.
Now having lived in Chile near Ensenada for just over a year, we have both been ill several times. Bronchitis, flu with 104 temperature, two colds, one ear infection, are most of our maladies. What is the deal, could it be related to pisco intake?
Our guess is that we have not had sufficient time to build up a tolerance to the local infectious Chile bugs.
Any thoughts on this?
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
Simon and Garfunkel

Gloria

Re: Chile bugs!

Post by Gloria » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:42 pm

peregrine77 wrote:We are very fortunate to have had exceptionally good health. Many years in a row without even a cold, sometimes even ten years.
Now having lived in Chile near Ensenada for just over a year, we have both been ill several times. Bronchitis, flu with 104 temperature, two colds, one ear infection, are most of our maladies. What is the deal, could it be related to pisco intake?
Our guess is that we have not had sufficient time to build up a tolerance to the local infectious Chile bugs.
Any thoughts on this?
Sorry to hear it. Perhaps Pisco may help somewhat but good possibility may be mold in the house or underneath of it, especially in this area due to the humidity in the soil etc.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese. I sayeth as I seeth.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:05 pm

I assume you don't drink tap water, although it doesn't sound like the kind of thing that would lead to those kinds of issues, but might be worth avoiding just to rule it out.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:04 pm

It may well be a damp problem which is making you more susceptible to colds etc. We found the Chilean coast much healthier than the Peruvian coast and all felt a lot healthier after moving. Asthma issues disappeared. For some reason there were not the same mould issues on the Chilean coast, despite both being fairly damp because of the nearby ocean.

Have you visited other parts of Chile and do you have the same problem when you are away from home? Also, don't underestimate stress for making you vulnerable to all sorts of things.

john

Post by john » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:43 pm

peregrine77 wrote:We are very fortunate to have had exceptionally good health. Many years in a row without even a cold, sometimes even ten years.
Any thoughts on this?
Very sorry to hear of your recent health issues. Really have no idea what may have caused your ailments but it's possible it might be related to damp environmental conditions or possibly from mold. Perhaps you should have someone inspect for mold inside, and also underneath, your house. Good luck!
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:57 pm

john wrote:
Any thoughts on this?
Very sorry to hear of your recent health issues. Really have no idea what may have caused your ailments but it's possible it might be related to damp environmental conditions or possibly from mold. Perhaps you should have someone inspect for mold inside, and also underneath, your house. Good luck!
You copied my answer John! :lol: If both of us suspect to be mold, probably we are correct, hope Peregrine will let us know.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese. I sayeth as I seeth.

john

Post by john » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:56 pm

Gloria wrote:
john wrote:
Any thoughts on this?
You copied my answer John! :lol: If both of us suspect to be mold, probably we are correct, hope Peregrine will let us know.
Guilty as charged! Possibly! I'm sure he will!
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

regioncentralX

Post by regioncentralX » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:35 pm

Yes, mold and also air pollution due to woodsmoke contamination inside and outside? Time to up the Vit. C intake, cultivate good gut flora and have some colloidal silver on hand when needed. Very long term diets also influence hardiness of the immune system. Check for iron overload issues which can be an issue for older males and older females past menses which may come via fortified processed grains, drinking water supply, etc.
¡ This is Sshiile Weon !

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:31 pm

regioncentralX wrote:Yes, mold and also air pollution due to woodsmoke contamination inside and outside? Time to up the Vit. C intake, cultivate good gut flora and have some colloidal silver on hand when needed. Very long term diets also influence hardiness of the immune system. Check for iron overload issues which can be an issue for older males and older females past menses which may come via fortified processed grains, drinking water supply, etc.
Once you get mold on the wood would be very hard to get rid off therefore makes more sense to move out that house ( rental) to a drier environment, once you get to the root of the problem what you suggest logically applies.