A reminder.....Are you prepared??

Everything to do with the earthquake in Chile 2010 including contacting relatives, latest news from regions and cities, search for assistance, how to help Chile, and anything else related to the disaster and recovery.
Forum rules
The Chile Forum policy against new users linking is suspended for the Chile Earthquake Forum during this crisis. BE WARNED: SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS WILL STILL BE SLAPPED DOWN HARD!! Legit links to information and resources however is fully welcome.
El pescado

Re: A reminder.....Are you prepared??

Post by El pescado » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:08 pm

Thanks for the reminder Gloria. Sometimes I think we get comfortable living our little lives and put off preparing for the big one.

I will go over my essentials first thing in the morning

john

Post by john » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:30 pm

Gloria wrote:We do get very comfortable as you said and we take everything for granted, however we happen to live in a quake prone country and we must be ready for a major disaster that it comes without warning! So keep that backpack with the essentials and must have close to you and remaind your loves ones to do the same. This commercial is brought to you by someone that cares! :alien: Stay well, STAY SAFE!!
Thanks for the reminder Gloria!
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Andres

kindle book, temporarily free, on bugout bags

Post by Andres » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:39 pm

Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

wiscondinavian

Re: kindle book, temporarily free, on bugout bags

Post by wiscondinavian » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:25 am

Awesome! Thanks for sharing

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:58 am

pretty happy with my state of prep. Of course have a list of things that are still on the to do. Just living in a rural area, tends to make you stay ahead of things. Last night for instance I went to the store, and the town was overrun with "terroristas" (a.k.a. tourist). Standing in line for 10 mins at a small store where I am normally the only customer, tends to make you buy a bit more in bulk or things go out of stock for a few days.

Always could use more food on hand.

I bought a trauma kit a while back that would at least handle something like a gun shot wound, but recently discovered it is lacking some very basic things like tweezers. Still working on stocking antibiotics and other hard to get prescriptions. Our small local <SPAM WORD> has either intentionally or accidentally been very good about leaving us the original prescription for things when the doctor writes them out so we double the purchase. We know a lot of doctors, that would help us out if we explained the purpose for stocking them. Just have not gotten around to it.

I do have a radio, but never got around to getting the programming cable so I can set all the Chilean channels. Also could use a better antenna on it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

peregrine77

Post by peregrine77 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:00 pm

My wife, Wendy and I helped start CERT (community emergency responce teams) in our small coastal town in Oregon. AT least 200 people joined and took dozens of classes we helped organize. A lot of first aid was taught and the general preparedness that most people think of and mentioned on this forum.
Like most places on earth, it is dark half of the time, so of course good flashlights, spare bulbs and a lot of batteries are essential.
Another issue here is that it rains about half of the time, like where we are about to relocate to in Chile. Good rain gear can make a huge difference when things get bad, as we have experienced many times in our 20 years on the coast.
We have had two, hundred year storms, (I don't know how that works), that caused floods, mud slides and huge trees falling like "pick-up sticks" literally making our town inaccessable for three days. We have a lot of fuel, chain saws and at the time, two tractors that were invaluable. The wind was so strong that some folks had no power for two weeks, no access to fuel and no badly needed life flight capibilities.
We are also terrramotto prone here and have several volcanoes just off of the coast, so one never knows when it can turn from a beautiful day to ugly.
As Charles mentioned, medication is very important and can mean life or death for many dependent on it.
Don't get scared, be preparred!!
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
Simon and Garfunkel

peregrine77

Post by peregrine77 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:18 am

The same is sadly true with gringos Gloria. As soon as we offered some cookies and beverages our attendance increased a bit. The light came on! Next we had FREE spaghetti and Italian bread, the fire hall where we held our meetings has a big kitchen, the place was packed! As time went on we felt the feeders could help subsidise the cost of the meals and we lost members. Oh well, a core bunch did learn valuable skills to help reduce the load on the real first responders.
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
Simon and Garfunkel

peregrine77

Post by peregrine77 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:33 pm

We concur. After two years, a lot of time and money invested, the fine folks of our little town are on their own, and have been taught to fish.
Simon and Garfunkel

john

Post by john » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:51 pm

peregrine77 wrote:We concur. After two years, a lot of time and money invested, the fine folks of our little town are on their own, and have been taught to fish.
You are to be commended for your public service. 8)
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:04 pm

Don't Tread On Me Either.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:15 am

seawolf180 wrote:http://gizmodo.com/earthquake-proof-bed ... DASrU7Hg.3

What could possibly go wrong?
Oh, I love that! How to actually make a major quake worse!Not to be used anywhere near possible tsunamis.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:54 am

Well, that will help rescue workers. They can just drop a grave marker, and move on.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.