Earthqueake manual

Everything to do with the earthquake in Chile 2010 including contacting relatives, latest news from regions and cities, search for assistance, how to help Chile, and anything else related to the disaster and recovery.
Forum rules
The Chile Forum policy against new users linking is suspended for the Chile Earthquake Forum during this crisis. BE WARNED: SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS WILL STILL BE SLAPPED DOWN HARD!! Legit links to information and resources however is fully welcome.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Earthqueake manual

Post by admin » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:06 am

By the way, if you want Eathquake experts, my cat has been certified a earthquake evacuation expert. After the big one in Temuco she went out to the cow pasture next to our house and refused to go back for two days. Which considering all the aftershocks was likely the smart thing to do. In the weeks that followed she got so use to them that she would not leave the house for anything under a 6.5.

We had a little 5.1 a few weeks ago in the middle of the night, I got up and my cat was headed to the door in a nice calm trot with her tail up in a, "no one panic, move calmly to the door".

By the time we all got to the door it was clear that it was over, and she just turned around and trotted back to her bed with a stop to check her food bowl was o.k. on the way. Our new puppy on the other hand was experiencing her first quake, and was just a shaking mess in the corner for at least a half hour after it was over.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Kjetilgordon

Post by Kjetilgordon » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:51 am

hahaha!!love the cat story admin:)...and I guess animals in general are more in "tune" to these things than us humans,that's just how it is I guess and also why a lot of ppl with epilepsia have dogs cause they "sense" when you are about to have a seizure and they give you a warning about it..look it up,it's true:)...but anyways,my first EVER encounter with an earthquake was with the big one that hit in February and still I want to move and live in Chile and intend to as soon as possible...yeah,crazy Norwegian,I know:D...but the things we do for love huh?:)....but I am NO expert on quakes or tsunamis,all I remember was that the night it hit what popped into my head was from watching dozens of documentaries on National Geographic Channel and Discovery Channel and it was:get in the door-frame!!!..that's all i could focus on and trying to stand on my 2 feet,holding my girlfriend close and trying to protect her...and we survived just fine thank God and made it down 6 floors without any accidents after it was over...getting to the aiport some hours later was a different story tho:D...yeah,I was supposed to fly back to Norway that morning and had set the alarm for 4am...needless to say,I didn't need the alarm waking me up;D...the quake took care of that:)......but yes,get under a door-frame,that's what I have heard at least if you cant make it to the streets or an open field:)

Tombi

Post by Tombi » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:52 am

Maxine, I'm a 70's model! I was talking about my suegra (mother in law) who lived through the big quake in the 60's. The whole family hid under the dining room table and all of them survived. At the time, I wasn't even a naughty twinkle in my dad's eyes!

Kjetilgordon

Post by Kjetilgordon » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:57 am

Tombi wrote:Maxine, I'm a 70's model! I was talking about my suegra (mother in law) who lived through the big quake in the 60's. The whole family hid under the dining room table and all of them survived. At the time, I wasn't even a naughty twinkle in my dad's eyes!
Tombi,I think she was just joking;))...but you're funnier:D...naughty twinkle in your dad's eye:D..got me laughing:D

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:07 am

pinguin wrote:In any case, why do you think they aren't practical advices? In other words, what advices do you think are wrong and why? Please point them out to correct them.

For instance, I didn't include the "triangle of life" because it seems to be an invention of somebody that never has experienced an earthquake. In any case, I searched the oppinions and not all people agree with those advices. The best is to keep calm and alert. And that is it.

And your point is very important. Keep a bit of chash with you, always. And don't forget to have at home some bottles for storing water and, of course, a emergency stock of caned food. A cheap battery radio, some candles would be handy. And if you can afford a generator, you should have one.
Overall they are good advices but I do have a problem with a couple of them " Listen to the environment. If you are at street level you could hear most earthquakes comming just by listen to low frequency underground noises that come just a few seconds because the earthquake strike."
I know you mean well but how can it be practical when during the day we are bombarded with thousands of thoughts and at nite we rest deeply our minds in a sleep. This last quake happened in the wee hours of the morning and we didn't wake up til the bed was moving from side to side in the bedroom, the floor was moving in a wave motion and the noise from things falling was terrifying...I'll never forget it! Many years have gone by without feeling the panic I felt that day.I have been thru a couple of quakes when I lived in Chile but after so many years without experiencing one, your body and mind relaxes until something of this magnitud happens. My state of mind has changed forever. The need to be even more prepared was greater 'cause the goverment for sure won't be helping you anytime soon( they are so unprepared in Chile that's not even funny) so I painted all the light switches with glow in the dark and in the bedroom door frame I wrote "exit" ( I was coming out abruptly from my sleep and I couldn't find the door!).Where I keep a backpack with a flashlight, cellular and other small articles I made an arrow to be able to locate even in the darkest nights.We always keep dry food goods, cans and other in the pantry.We bought a tiny handcrank radio, have the laptop near by, flashlight with emergency beacon, cash on hand, air mattress, a generator for propane gas and we always keep plenty of TOILET PAPER!!!.....2 things I would love to have to complete my survival kit...army tent and satellite phone.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:41 pm

Even though the time for a tsunami to arrive can vary, I think it is very good advice to head for higher ground as fast as you can move. Then stay there.

Chile has earthquakes and they have a strong history of tsunami. If there is a quake while you are at the coast, get yourself to higher ground pronto.

I would prefer to have a disaster kit all prepared, rather than to gather candles, radio, etc, after the quake. Keep a few days of disaster items on hand all the time and have batteries, candles, everything you need in one place so you can go right to it. In the car is a good place to keep a set of that sort of stuff: water, a few days worth of granola bars, flashlight, blankets.

I keep a shovel in my car. Mine is for snow, but it might turn out to be very valuable in an earthquake.

If your plan is to hide under a table, it had better be a very sturdy table, strong enough to support the weight of your entire roof. Probably the majority of tables are not that strong.

pinguin

Post by pinguin » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:18 pm

nwdiver wrote:...The triangle of life is a concept well known in Chile, I guess you missed it in school or when you were in Canada, you should study up Professor, it is the most sensible concept I have heard and your comment about me saying "because ......" is just dumb.
The "triangle of life" is a myth. We aren't talking here about UFOs or the Chupacabras, but about PRACTICAL measures to survive earthquakes.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/nature ... quake5.htm

It doesn't makes sense to hide at the corner. If you are at a house, you should better hide at the front door. In case the house fall you can leave it at once!
If you live in an appartment, you should have space to move, in case part of the structure fall down!

In a earthquake there are risks all over the place, both outside and inside, so you must have a tactic to minimize those risks. Indeed, if you notice the ceiling is falling, rush to a corner! That's not a bad advice. But just waiting there from the beginning, instead of waiting in a place where you can rush away if necesary, it is simply silly. And advicing that is criminal.

Just a personal oppinion, of course.

pinguin

Post by pinguin » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:25 pm

admin wrote:ok, my 2 pesos on this after having been in temuco for the recent big one and all the aftershocks, along with seeing the destruction.

1. Live in a wood building. let me repeat that. LIVE IN A WOOD BUILDING. Wood flexes, and as one earthquake engineer said, "it is just like the song, you got to give a little bit for a structure to survive a quake".
That's a good advice, indeed. Wooden houses are pretty good, no matter they shake as crazy. Most brick houses are good as well, if theirs structures are build according to the standards.
admin wrote: As for this b.s. about having time in advance. bullshit. the 8.8 happened at 3 in the morning. No one heard it coming. also the aftershocks up to the 7.1 range we experienced for weeks after often came with a sudden initial hit. yea, once it was going you might be able to get out, but very few of them did we hear coming. thus, rule number one live in a wood building and do not assume you are going to hear them coming or that you can even get out.
That's not BS. Perhaps you didn't detect it because you aren't acustomed to react to them. In my house we have the time necesary to get all the family at the safest place and wait there for the largest waves.
I also have the time to cut the gas. And in every earthquake I have experienced that has been the rule.
admin wrote: Once we got use to the aftershocks, we would rarely even leave the house for anything under a 6.0. We knew the wood house would take it, as it took a 8.5 without even a crack in the paint. Honestly in our neighborhood I was more concerned about things falling on us outside than inside. Normally in Chile things added on to houses such as car ports, garden walls and so on are far less stable and well built than the original structures.

2. first word of a major event, get off the coast and stay off the coast for as long as you can. The reason so many people died in 2010 was because there were two tsunami waves, hours apart, and people went back too early. The waved behaved differently on every coastline, and arrived at different times. By the way, 3 km inland is too close to the coast, and treat any river that flows in to the ocean as if it was beach front. waves went up rivers 20 km on the coast of the 8th and 9th region. The wave was 30 meters high at points along the Chilean coast, so make sure high ground is really high ground. Keep moving up and away.
Good advices.

pinguin

Post by pinguin » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:33 pm

Gloria wrote:...
Overall they are good advices but I do have a problem with a couple of them " Listen to the environment. If you are at street level you could hear most earthquakes comming just by listen to low frequency underground noises that come just a few seconds because the earthquake strike."
I know you mean well but how can it be practical when during the day we are bombarded with thousands of thoughts and at nite we rest deeply our minds in a sleep. This last quake happened in the wee hours of the morning and we didn't wake up til the bed was moving from side to side in the bedroom, the floor was moving in a wave motion and the noise from things falling was terrifying...I'll never forget it! Many years have gone by without feeling the panic I felt that day.I have been thru a couple of quakes when I lived in Chile but after so many years without experiencing one, your body and mind relaxes until something of this magnitud happens. My state of mind has changed forever. The need to be even more prepared was greater 'cause the goverment for sure won't be helping you anytime soon( they are so unprepared in Chile that's not even funny) so I painted all the light switches with glow in the dark and in the bedroom door frame I wrote "exit" ( I was coming out abruptly from my sleep and I couldn't find the door!).Where I keep a backpack with a flashlight, cellular and other small articles I made an arrow to be able to locate even in the darkest nights.We always keep dry food goods, cans and other in the pantry.We bought a tiny handcrank radio, have the laptop near by, flashlight with emergency beacon, cash on hand, air mattress, a generator for propane gas and we always keep plenty of TOILET PAPER!!!.....2 things I would love to have to complete my survival kit...army tent and satellite phone.
Perhaps I forgot to tell you. I was AWAKE at the time of the earthquake. I was working in several things I have posponed during the week. Remember that the Viña festival have already finish and I was trying to save some work for the next day. And I listened the quake comming, because I was awake! :shock:

How do you perceive a quake?
(1) Low frequency noise, similar to a heavy track passing on the street. When you ear that, you pay attention to other signals.
(2) These sounds are accompanied of no movement or very small one.
(3) Then you feel some shakes, and you know a big one is comming.

What produces the nose are the first sismic waves that approaches you.

This is not a legend but a fact. Animals that are more sensible than humans usually perceive frequencies humans can't. But a person that have experienced a couple of earthquakes while AWOKE will notice the pattern.

By the way, Chile is not unprepared for earthquakes. If this same quake had happened in a country that is not prepared, or in a city like New York, or European cities that has never experienced one), you would have to count the victims in hundred of thousands. This was third largest quake in recent history. A quake that was 10 times the Haitian! and also a lot larger than the ones that have hit the U.S. and Japan in recent times. It also affected the central core of Chile with a population of around 10 millions! and affected places located a hundreds of kilomenters appart.

For the earthquake we weren't such bad prepared. The Tsunami that followed, and that caused most of the victims, was really the major mistake. Otherwise, the number of victims would have been around 100, which is "reasonable" for such earthquake.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:55 pm

pinguin wrote:By the way, Chile is not unprepared for earthquakes.
Well, I dissagree with you.We all saw it.I'm quite sure that I'm more prepared than the goverment itself.How embarrassing was to see Hillary Clinton bringing satellite phones because the president could not communicate with the Army for lack of them and they cancelled the tsunami warning.That was a major f** up and you cannot call it in a different way.Because Chile is prone to this type of disaster they ought to be more than ready.There are no places to go to for shelter.No schools or churches assigned to get a blankets or a hot cup of soup. The Army doesn't have warehouses thoughout the country with tents,survival foods, bottled water, first aid or voluntary rescue and medical personnel for that matter in case of any disaster.What are they waiting for...another meeting with coffee and cookies and unmeaningful hugs and kisses in the cheek? or the blessings of the Pope?
At the parade I saw the armed forces with their nice attire proudly holding the flag but little action when it comes to rescuing people when they were most in need.Yes, I saw in the news some of them helping to build "match boxes" instead of getting those heavy duty tents out for a quick temporary solution, after all this country hasn't been at war since the 1800's so what the hell they do with all those supplies they've been collecting thru the years...going camping in the summer?
Where was law and order when all those thugs and criminals went in the attack to those supermarkets in Concepcion.Carabineros didn't know what to do, the situation took them with their pants down and finally after several hours, fires and unrest they show up.....8 months have gone by and still so many people without their homes and all has been forgotten...no more Chi Chi Chi Le Le Le but instead..."up yours buddy...you are on your own, all the surplus money went to rescue 33 miners, so screw you if you don't have a house to live or no road or no bridge to go thru...but we have recognition throughout the world".
I got to tell you something that you have no knowledge of...Charles of Spencer Global, the administrator, did lots more and had more coordination and communication with his rescue operation than the entire Chilean Armed Forces.Him and his team of volunteers are the unsung heroes of February 2010 earthquake and to top it all thru this forum alone, got in touch with each and everyone of us to make sure we were allright! That's what I call to be PREPARED, efficient and conscientious...that's what I call in plain english to have their shit together!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

pinguin

Post by pinguin » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:59 pm

Gloria wrote:
pinguin wrote:By the way, Chile is not unprepared for earthquakes.
Well, I dissagree with you.We all saw it.I'm quite sure that I'm more prepared than the goverment itself.How embarrassing was to see Hillary Clinton bringing satellite phones because the president could not communicate with the Army for lack of them and they cancelled the tsunami warning.That was a major f** up and you cannot call it in a different way.Because Chile is prone to this type of disaster they ought to be more than ready.There are no places to go to for shelter.No schools or churches assigned to get a blankets or a hot cup of soup.

(... etc)

I got to tell you something that you have no knowledge of...Charles of Spencer Global, the administrator, did lots more and had more coordination and communication with his rescue operation than the entire Chilean Armed Forces.Him and his team of volunteers are the unsung heroes of February 2010 earthquake and to top it all thru this forum alone, got in touch with each and everyone of us to make sure we were allright! That's what I call to be PREPARED, efficient and conscientious...that's what I call in plain english to have their shit together!
Oh lord!

Yes, there was a chaos during last earthquake, but if Chile wasn't prepared, we would have had half a million victims instead of the 500 casualties we had. Chile was prepared because we have building standards that made that MOST buildings standing. Look what happened in Haiti with a relatively small earthquake. Even Japan had 5.300 victims in the Kobe Earthquake of 1995!

And the Chilean quake was the third largest of the recorded history. It was an 8.8, which is something no country elsewhere has experienced, with the exception of Alaska, which hit a remote area almost empty. And yes, the second largest was also a Chilean quake, the 1960s!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_de ... since_1900

And yes, more lives could have been solved without such ineficient government as the Bachelet administration. That's obvious. But Chileans have already notice the lack of skills of that coalition of parties and that's way they lost the presidential elections.

And certainly the country should improve the Tsunami prevention measures, the communications chain and apply the military rule if a new tragedy hits, to prevent riots. Most people that died in this tragedy lost theirs lives in the tsunami, and not in the earthquake itself, and that's something it shouldn't repeat, and I hope won't.

With respect to the mud-brick houses, they should be demolished for good. With them we will lose an heritage, I know, but this quake shown very clearly that most of the direct victims of the Earthquake were living in such houses.

By the way, this is the technique for tall buildings that is used in Chile, called strong column weak beam, if you don't know. This design saved thousand of lives.

Source:
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/03 ... -chile.php

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:31 am

Chile was prepared for the earthquake. The government was not prepared.

The frigen the criminals in the last government (and the 20 years back that put them there) need to be taken out and shot. I seen them with my own eyes in the field; no, more exactly, I did not see them with my own eyes in the field.

When we ran the earthquake aid project the last government was no where to be found in the field. not even a rumor that they had been there from anyone we worked with. Certain independent branches of the goverment (mostly local) where there (police, air force, bomberos) and private aid organizations, but the disaster management office turns out to have been embezzling the money and twittling their thumbs while claiming to have resources ready to go for any disaster anywhere in the country (they f%$KED up two major disasters under my watch, if you include Chaiten which makes the last one all the more criminal). The warehouses where empty.

The aid and assistants we dealt with was almost 100% private. Frigen hell!! we were flying in GOPE frog man teams to search for bodies because they could not get where they were ordered to go for lack of transportation. We were calling carbinarios in the field for help finding missing people, and they were in turn asking us to help contact their own relatives because they could not (and we did find them by the way). They are the police for chris sake.

It was only the military that had their act together, such as the air force, but the frigen last government was too chicken shit to ask them to do anything for fear of looking like the dictatorship the week before they left office.

It was almost two months after the earthquake before we had any contact with those useless bunch of pricks from the emergency management agency, and they were the hold overs from the last goverment that only showed because the new government made them show at a conference. They wanted to study the needs in the next budget by the way. Useless bloodsucking leftist embezzling slime bags making themselves rich on the backs of the poor.

Sorry, could not come up with a stronger way to say it.

Anyone with doubts, just go read the play by play of this earthquake forum for exactly how this all unfolded and why I am so pissed.

As for the useless bitch Hillary and the U.S. state department in Chile, I am more pissed and ashamed of them than all the previously mentioned idiots above just because we happened to come from the same country. She emptied a few sat phones out of her purse for the poor Chileans (by the way stolen immediately by the last government, they never left Santiago, never to be seen again according to the aid agencies that met with the government about communications no one had an idea what happened to them). That wench could of wired this country North to South in days, and it would have cost her nothing. Instead she let to Chile grovel around in the dark for weeks trying to find missing people and deploy aid.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.