Nuclear Material Removed from Chile durring Earthquake

Everything to do with the earthquake in Chile 2010 including contacting relatives, latest news from regions and cities, search for assistance, how to help Chile, and anything else related to the disaster and recovery.
Forum rules
The Chile Forum policy against new users linking is suspended for the Chile Earthquake Forum during this crisis. BE WARNED: SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS WILL STILL BE SLAPPED DOWN HARD!! Legit links to information and resources however is fully welcome.
admin
Site Admin

Nuclear Material Removed from Chile durring Earthquake

Post by admin » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:56 am

This is very much a hair raising story about Chile handing over weapons grade nuclear material to the U.S. that happened right in the middle of the earthquake, power outages, port damage, and tsunami:

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/ ... -1,00.html

You know about 7 years ago I was on the metro in Santiago, and they had this poster promoting Chile's new research reactor and all the good it was going to do. I just thought it was the strangest thing to promote on a metro along side things like cell phone plans and Ripley sales. I never seen that poster again, but the though immediately entered my mind. What the hell would Chile need with a research reactor?

Seems the U.S. gave them the Uranium and the program during the dictatorship.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Nuclear Material Removed from Chile durring Earthquake

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:23 am

admin wrote:What the hell would Chile need with a research reactor?

Seems the U.S. gave them the Uranium and the program during the dictatorship.
Argentina
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Zenth

Post by Zenth » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:37 pm

The U.S.A. reprocesses nuclear grade uranium which is created as a byproduct of the production of electricity in nuclear power plants.
It processes this uranium from all over the world, including Russia and the former Soviet Union states. The U.S.A is the only nation with this capability, I believe. The transfer is not unusual, maybe the timing is suspect.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:38 pm

From a shooting the breeze post a year and a half ago:

http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/topi ... tml#p19607
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:I've heard rumors that Chile has had for many years, a "research only" nuclear program. But this is more towards constructing a nuke (that goes flash boom), if needed, rather than harnessing the same physics for energy generation.
Thought I'd never have to dig that post up. I'm sure the generals in Argentina are breathing easier but they still have that very nuclear capable giant just to their north.
Time mag wrote:The original plan was to ship the HEU to the U.S. from the Chilean port of San Antonio, but it had been destroyed by a tsunami, so eventually the team decided to use the port of Valparaiso, 50 miles (80 km) to the north.
Keep that sh!t away from here! Yes we are totally destroyed by a tsunami, go elsewhere!
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

mariusz.gedowski

Post by mariusz.gedowski » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:54 pm

Zenth wrote:The U.S.A. reprocesses nuclear grade uranium
Can you give me a name of any reprocessing site in USA? I know only West Valley which was
closed in '70 due to federal overregulatory hysteria which rendered the process uneconomic.
Zenth wrote:The U.S.A is the only nation with this capability, I believe.
France operate largest reprocessing facilities in the world. Belgium and Germany used to have them, but they shut them down long time ago. UK is decomissioning some reprocessing plants right now. India and Russia still do it on small scale.

France is the world powerhouse in terms of nuclear waste reprocessing. La Hauge plant have capacity of 1700 metric tonnes per year.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:11 pm

It is in the article. It is weapons grade processing they are talking about. Lots and lots of locations (Japanese have one also I believe) process nuclear material, but as I understand it is weapons grade material that the U.S. has the only site. That is because the U.S. has a bunch of old rusting nuclear weapons laying around, not for world piece or whatever they try to make it out to be.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mariusz.gedowski

Post by mariusz.gedowski » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:00 pm

admin wrote:(...) as I understand it is weapons grade material that the U.S. has the only site.
La Hauge process Highly Enriched Uranium in and out. They produce HEU fuel rods for sale and reprocess spent HEU fuel from all over the world. France is not only heavy HEU user, but a major world reprocessing services provider.

PanAmerican

Post by PanAmerican » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:27 pm

Hey that's nice! Just like Obama's efforts to eliminate weapons grade uranium world wide. Chile has really moved into the 21st century or perhaps the 22nd century! Chile is better than "developed nation". Let's hope the USA can all do this! For my final years of retirement, I want to be in a country where there's little chance of an "accident"! I'm moving to Chile!
Retired to Chile

mariusz.gedowski

Post by mariusz.gedowski » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:56 am

admin wrote:Lots and lots of locations (Japanese have one also I believe) process nuclear material
Hmm... France, India, Russia, Japan and UK (decomissioning). I now no other country. China maybe?
admin wrote:Seems the U.S. gave them the Uranium and the program during the dictatorship.
One of the strategies of non-proliferation was to give various countries HEU for civilian use in exchange for not developing their own enriching facilities. They simply reclaim their property back. :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:52 am

I recall now what it was on the poster. It was a centrifuge.