Airlines steeling from victims

Everything to do with the earthquake in Chile 2010 including contacting relatives, latest news from regions and cities, search for assistance, how to help Chile, and anything else related to the disaster and recovery.
Forum rules
The Chile Forum policy against new users linking is suspended for the Chile Earthquake Forum during this crisis. BE WARNED: SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS WILL STILL BE SLAPPED DOWN HARD!! Legit links to information and resources however is fully welcome.
G

Re: Airlines steeling from victims

Post by G » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:18 am

Simply bad corporations behaving with their true colors...appalling....kick'em when they're down. Flagrant profiteering and inexcusable behavior. Sorry, I'll try to make a coherent sentence later... :thumbdown:

greg~judy

Post by greg~judy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:41 am

Not that I like Air Canada, but it has been bankrupt and bailed out many times, it’s a flag carrier, God has nothing to do with it. I fly it so I don’t have to touch America on my trips to Chile, believe me Vancouver Dallas Santiago on American is a much easier flight, going through Toronto in the winter is a crap shoot, but American Airlines transits through America not my choice Toronto-Santiago direct is long but doable.
My sentiments... Exactly...
I fly the same route for the same reasons :!:
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa

MaryJo

Post by MaryJo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:48 am

That's amazing.. we fly the same route too. Vancouver - Toronto - then usually Lima/Santiago...avoiding the US. We just keep our fingers crossed passing through Toronto on wintery months, hoping for decent weather and no delays.

allegro

Post by allegro » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:56 am

admin wrote: It is literally kicking Chile while it is down. They can loose a few tickets now, or thousands of tickets later.
Agree. Update on my SIL's situation with Swiss-- after contacting Expedia AND their credit card company, they got a confirmed flight for late next week. I would advise anyone in the same situation to do just that- contact any 3rd party you can. The airlines are going to be less inclined to tick off travel bookers and credit card cos than individual customers (sadly enough). Also, if a US airline is involved or a US citizen, contact the travel ombudsman from National Geographic Traveler who gets things done for people in these situations. His website is http://www.elliot.org

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:01 pm

Excellent. Slap those airline executives around a bit.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:41 pm

chix001 wrote:
nwdiver wrote:Not that I like Air Canada, but it has been bankrupt and bailed out many times, it’s a flag carrier, God has nothing to do with it. I fly it so I don’t have to touch America on my trips to Chile, believe me Vancouver Dallas Santiago on American is a much easier flight, going through Toronto in the winter is a crap shoot, but American Airlines transits through America not my choice Toronto-Santiago direct is long but doable.
Are you saying you do this so that you don't have to go through US airports?

Yes!!
I don't want the TSA unpacking then repacking the 12 bottles of wine in my bag, they don't care about breakage, or stealing any of it just because I'm transiting their country. I had a underwater camera housing borrowed by the TSA several years ago, now I never transit the USA, I do fly into the USA but I am aware of what not to put in my bag.
It's all about the wine.

atltvlagt

Post by atltvlagt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:03 pm

NOT ENTIRELY TRUE :roll:
I am a travel agent here in the states:
DELTA AIRLINES:
Rescheduling Flights
If your flight is canceled you are entitled to a refund. Even if your flight is not canceled, you may make a one-time change to your ticket without fee if you are scheduled to travel to, from, or through the following cities on Delta, Delta Connection®, or Delta-coded flights during the specified time periods listed below.

You can now edit your itinerary here at delta.com, or you may contact Reservation Sales to make changes to your itinerary. Additional collection in fares may apply. See Conditions & Restrictions below.

Destination
(To, From, or
Through) Dates of Travel Impacted Ticket Reisssue Date
(On or Before) New Travel
Origination Dates (No Later Than)
Santiago, Chile (SCL)
Feb 27–Mar 05, 2010 Mar 08, 2010 Mar 08, 2010

Conditions & Restrictions
Changes to origins and destinations may result in an increase in fare. Any difference in fare between your original ticket and the new ticket will be collected at the time of booking.

AND AMERICAN AIRLINES:
Chile Travel Policy
Due to the earthquake in Chile, American Airlines offers customers the convenience to change their plans. Customers ticketed to travel on AA flights to or from the area listed may change flights as shown without penalty.

If you are traveling to or from: On the following dates: And your ticket was issued no later than: You may begin travel as late as: Original ticketed inventory required?
Santiago, Chile (SCL) February 27-March 5, 2010 February 27, 2010 March 8, 2010 No
March 1 - 8, 2010 March 1, 2010 March 30, 2010 No

One ticketed change is allowed with no penalty. NOTE: Due to the extension of this travel policy, customers who made a previous change are allowed an additional change at no charge.

To change travel dates or for questions regarding refunds or destination changes, contact our Reservations personnel at 1-800-433-7300 within the United States or Canada. If you are calling from outside the United States or Canada, please check our Worldwide Reservations Numbers page for Reservations.

OTHER AIRLINES ARE ALSO MAKING SPECIAL ARRANGEMENTS. CHECK THE WEBSITE.

atltvlagt

Post by atltvlagt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:06 pm

NOT TRUE: AIR CANADA :roll:

Flights to/from Santiago, Chile cancelled due to airport closure

February 27, 2010 -- Due to the closure of Arturo Merino Benítez International Airport in Santiago, Chile as a result of the recent earthquake, Air Canada has suspended service until further notice.

To facilitate changes to bookings for customers travelling to and from Santiago, Chile (SCL) until March 8, 2010, Air Canada has implemented a flexible booking policy allowing these customers to change their travel dates without penalty for travel within the next 30 days. Customers holding tickets for cancelled flights may also request a refund or credit towards future travel.

Customers wishing to make changes to their bookings may contact Air Canada Reservations toll free in Canada and the U.S. at 888-247-2262; TTY: 1-800-361-8071 or Air Canada Reservations worldwide.

Air Canada recommends customers check their Flight Status, or call Air Canada's automated flight information system at 1-888-422-7533 prior to leaving for the airport.

Air Canada will continue to monitor the situation with the intent to resume service as soon as possible. Further updates will be provided as information becomes available.

mcplaza

Post by mcplaza » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:23 pm

What I heard is that these companies are not obligated to refund, pay hotels or change anything in case of catastrophe in the destination. If you are there stuck in the disaster location, things are a bit different.
One example is TAM that is not providing hotel for the passengers that were not flying to Santiago on the day of the earthquake.
I assume Its like "what can we do if the Santiago airport is closed and will open for us much later than for the LAN flights".
Which airline in the world has done things differently in other disasters. I think they are just doing the minimum pushed by law.
I believe LAN would probably do the same with foreigners if that was the case.

Money my friends, that is the rule.
Unfortunately its true and we leave in an unfair world. Just look around.
admin wrote:Well, sooner or later acts of god tend to cancel airlines that do that to their customers.
Sorry but I really don't believe that the acts of God will punish anyone. Our world has such major problems to take care that are far bigger than this specific event. Come on, did you forget that thousands of children die of hunger everyday. What would it cost to any company to send some food down there, but nobody cares.This is just another case of a natural tragedy.
I love Chile and I'm anxious to come back to help my friends, but I cannot forget the others that suffer daily.
My head is not under a blanket waiting for help from airlines or any other corporation. That simply will never happen.
Chile will need to count on governments not foreign companies.
That is the way I see, just my opinion.

j. Ro

Post by j. Ro » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:28 pm

nwdiver wrote:Not that I like Air Canada, but it has been bankrupt and bailed out many times, it’s a flag carrier, God has nothing to do with it. I fly it so I don’t have to touch America on my trips to Chile, believe me Vancouver Dallas Santiago on American is a much easier flight, going through Toronto in the winter is a crap shoot, but American Airlines transits through America not my choice Toronto-Santiago direct is long but doable.
Me too...

With my wife being Chilean it saves us having to apply for a transit visa too.

I have been looking at flying Westjet to Cancun then Cancun to Santiago on LAN recently but the cost is just too high. Hopefully as LAN keeps adding new routes there might be a Santiago-Western Canada route added in the future. Or as Westjet keeps expanding they might fly further into Central and South America but until then we are stuck with Air Canada too.
Jason Roesler, AT

atltvlagt

Post by atltvlagt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:42 pm

mcplaza: ok let's try this again the airlines WILL rebook or refund you if you purchased tickets with them. go look at the airlines website for exact particulars. i have copied the rules from three and pasted them. yes they are not responsible for your accomodations :roll: . You guys remind me of a bunch of old biddies in a nursing home passing around half heard gossip.

mcplaza

Post by mcplaza » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:59 pm

I will try again too. First I said they are not obligated to....
Yes, I know exactly what they are providing and you just confirm what I said.
By the way I've been reading before answering and had tickets to Chile just after the earthquake.
You should not guarantee that they all WILL do something based on some companies information.
I believe they will do refunds based on your fare, but I do not put my word on that.
I do not know what are biddies, but half heard gossip I know. It's great that you are providing us the other half.