Status of Allchile forum members

Everything to do with the earthquake in Chile 2010 including contacting relatives, latest news from regions and cities, search for assistance, how to help Chile, and anything else related to the disaster and recovery.
Forum rules
The Chile Forum policy against new users linking is suspended for the Chile Earthquake Forum during this crisis. BE WARNED: SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS WILL STILL BE SLAPPED DOWN HARD!! Legit links to information and resources however is fully welcome.
otravers

Status of Allchile forum members

Post by otravers » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:36 am

We're in the process of assessing who among the forum members we have not heard of since the quake. This will be kept updated until we have a clear view of who's really missing.

*LOOKING FOR STATUS*

* Eileen is a New Yorker in Concepción since 2007, last logged in on Feb 13.

* aaron_spcr now living in Concepcion, last login in 10/28/09. Environmental worker originally from Southern Indiana, first came in 2007, apparently dating a Chilean bilingual girl.

* tasp07MN one year ago said he was moving from Minneapolis to Concepcion for study "in the fall", i assume the US fall, meaning September 2009? Age 20, apparently speaks good Spanish.

**** The 3 people above stand out as most likely to need help. ****

* eahlay posted a year ago to say was moving to valpo, has not been heard from since

* chile-expat status unknown, relatively regular user, last logged on in January, believed to be in Vina/Valpo area

* Peregrina 28-year old woman just arrived from Switzerland, was looking for a roommate in Santiago, last visit Feb 25.

* lq2323 aka Vik and Matt posted from downtown Santiago on Feb 12 - seemed new in town. No visit since then.

* mardy - last visit Jan 4, 2010, from Villarrica.

* MarkF in Maipu, hasn't visited since 2008.

*STATUS KNOWN*

Confirmed to be OK (or out of the country at the time)

prakash, gypsyrover, papayero, eskiwaski, Temucomom, mike38798, sven, ellanora, fosske (Not to be confused with the Finnish Kristina S), LET, gail.willow, ali_chile48, G, RitchieD, mariposa83, heaphy, sweetbiscuit, hugeh20, SimonC, LET, heatherdevega, val_hillock, esection, Patagonia Sur, Suzanne, sirgal

* It sounds like Kristina S from Finland is OK, though we didn't have direct contact. She was in Concepción (not to be confused with the American Kristin). Age 32, family of 4, speaks 4 languages but no Spanish. Said on Feb 25 they'd move to San Pedro de la Paz soon.

I don't have time to list all the people who did check in on the forum, there was the initial thread, the posts below in this very thread, and just check the member list for last visit after on or after Feb 27. If you have logged in since the quake, we'll remove you from the list above. This will help keep this post manageable, focusing it on members who cannot post themselves.

PLEASE DO CHECK IN (i.e. log on with your allchile user ID) so we can factor you out.

Out of the forum's 1,150+ members, many people never posted so we'll need to focus on these members who shared a modicum of personal info, starting with their location at the time.

*MEMBER LISTED SORTED BY LAST ACTIVITY DATE*
http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/memb ... memberlist

*MEMBER SEARCH ENGINE*
http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/memb ... searchuser

Magnyz

Re: Status of Allchile forum members

Post by Magnyz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:44 am

The girl who recently came to Concepcion is from Finland and her nick is Kristina S (I just pm:ed this to admin)

otravers

Post by otravers » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:46 am

If you are listed above as MIA and see this, or have been in touch with someone above, please post here. If you can think of someone who should be listed above, please post too. I'm just starting to scan the list of members.

otravers

Post by otravers » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:53 am

Thanks Magnyz, updated the first post. The people who arrived most recently are likely to be struggling the most for lack of friends, lower language skills and little local knowledge.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:03 am

Thanks guys for jumping in.

I just want to add a quick thanks specifically to otravers for stepping in to fill in for EE as a global forum moderator during the crisis, so I can focus on the earthquake relief sections and finding people.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

otravers

Post by otravers » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:17 am

Members who read this who know other members who haven't logged in since the quake, but have the capacity to do so, please ask them to come and visit. They don't even need to post (unless they're flagged as missing above, then please do so!). We have the ability to sort the member list by date of last visit, so recent visits are a useful "ping of life" to narrow the MIA list down.

cafecreme

Post by cafecreme » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:45 am

* fosske aka Kristin, American 23-year old girl was apparently in Santiago on Feb 9 but also mentioned Concepcion. No visit since Feb 10.
Her job did send her to Concepcion. :(
I emailed her yesterday, no reply. We were in contact a couple of weeks ago. She was thinking of visiting Valpo before she left Santiago. In the end, we didn't meet up.

cafecreme

Post by cafecreme » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:53 am

* Wedding Photographer aka Gardner Hamilton, 41-year old Scotman in the 5th region used to hang out here but didn't visit since Nov. 2009. I sent him a PM.
I just got his email address off his webpage and sent him a message.
I think he's Vina based.
If I don't hear later on, I'll try one of the contact numbers from his webpage.

cafecreme

Post by cafecreme » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:55 am

Got a message straight back from Wedding Photographer, he's fine. Just some broken stuff. :)

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:56 am

Krisitin was in concepcion at the time... but hass been in contact with family, they have since posted this on her facebook:

"Thor Foss Email from kristin- just wanted to let you all know that i am safe and everything. it was a big earthquake and tsunami but im fine and dandy. no power or water for the next few days and since everything is going to be so mixed up for a while i think i will just come home whenever flights are availbile. i am using some ...strangers computer right now so i cant say much but when i get the internet back i will talk to you all more. the house is fine and the wonderfully nice people i am staying with are taking care of me, we can get water from the school nearby and we have plenty of food and everything. so don´t worry, and tell everyone else i am fine. love youse kfo"
cafecreme wrote:
* fosske aka Kristin, American 23-year old girl was apparently in Santiago on Feb 9 but also mentioned Concepcion. No visit since Feb 10.
Her job did send her to Concepcion. :(
I emailed her yesterday, no reply. We were in contact a couple of weeks ago. She was thinking of visiting Valpo before she left Santiago. In the end, we didn't meet up.

cafecreme

Post by cafecreme » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:02 am

Great news. :D

otravers

Post by otravers » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:10 am

Great, that's already two people we know are OK. So far I've listed half a dozen people in Santiago who arrived just weeks or days before the quake. They're likely to be more freaked than average for lack of familiar faces to talk to. Maybe some longer-standing members from Santiagio will want to PM them to ask whether they're OK?

I've done pages 22-24 so far (sorted by Date Joined but sorting by Last Active might make things easier), also feel free to parse the member list and point out "missing" members below. I'll update the first post of the thread throughout the day but I've got to get some work done now.