Chile 2010 Earthquake anniversary (2015)

Everything to do with the earthquake in Chile 2010 including contacting relatives, latest news from regions and cities, search for assistance, how to help Chile, and anything else related to the disaster and recovery.
Forum rules
The Chile Forum policy against new users linking is suspended for the Chile Earthquake Forum during this crisis. BE WARNED: SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS WILL STILL BE SLAPPED DOWN HARD!! Legit links to information and resources however is fully welcome.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Chile 2010 Earthquake anniversary (2015)

Post by admin » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:17 pm

You know that was the thing that was different about Chile. Chile had the resources inside the country. Very little needed to be imported. The issues inside the country were almost all logistical/transport and communication related. It was getting things from point A to point B, and getting in touch with people to find out what they needed (where they were also). 9/10th of the panic and confusion, was directly related to people not being able to communicate. likewise, I think a lot of waisted effort and resources went in to just dealing with the simplest of communication problems.

I think if I had to do that aid project over again I would have gone for large 4x4 trucks to move stuff. Used the planes for immediate aid and surveying locations, roads, and so on. Most importantly better use of the radio infrastructure that was in place, but that got used very little during the earthquake.

I think that was one of the better ideas the pinera administration had was buying up the stocks of home centers and just opening the doors. They already had the materials and logistics in place in the regions.

In fact, most of the aid that came from outside the country, either went unused or was a major resource drain to get it. Money was about the only exception. Waiting weeks for things to be shipped, moved, unpacked, and so on, was just a waist. Often the aid workers that come in to a new country, in the middle of disaster, need their hands held which also drains resources. Having to Sheppard disasters tourists around in the middle of national emergency, is not really helpful. So, from that perspective I think it was a good call to refuse most of the aid from the international organizations. Some of the smaller, lighter, international organizations were helpful.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

GringoVikingo

Post by GringoVikingo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:43 pm

Not to destroy your joy to bashing Bachelet government, but Chile is one of few country, that have a plan, and can handle it. In Haiti there is still lot of people living in tent. And since most of people here is expat American, George Bush and hurricane Katrina?
When it come to natural disaster I rather live in Chile or Japan!
My view of Chile it's a world in miniature, from north to south.
My home country Norway is so regulate that You need a signature from some one to put a nail in a piece of wood, thats connected to a building.
I see more possibility, than limitation in Chile, but it's not a country where the government will hand holding you, By my self I think the reason I'm in Chile, is my reading from Roald Amunsen, Fridtjof Nansen and Thor Heyerdahl + a Chilena.
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
"George Carlin"

marti
Location: Another project. Another country. And besides, the wench is dead.,

Post by marti » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:55 pm

La mitad de eficaz. El doble de caro. El triple de complicado. Un país de cuarto.

GringoVikingo

Post by GringoVikingo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:38 pm

marti wrote:
GringoVikingo wrote: By my self I think the reason I'm in Chile, is my reading from Roald Amunsen, Fridtjof Nansen and Thor Heyerdahl + a Chilena.

And don't forget Otto Nordenskjöld.
Y eh, but he was Swedish, and Norway was a Swedish colony until 1905. But speak and write Danish, due to be a Danish colony for some century as well. Something I get in with the mother milk, as my grandparents write and speak Danish.
But due to my input to the topic, it's not many country that can manage a 9 point earthquake without critic.
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
"George Carlin"

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:43 pm

Yeah Marti, get Otto a here----

###

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:55 pm

My last post on the topic, sorry if I pissed people off and sorry if I appeared to be ignorant or trolling with the Red Cross link :roll:

Whatever.

I was here and I am still here. There was no mass looting and public disorder where I am despite the large number of LOCAL flaite types. I believe the 1985 (indeed a different era) experience shaped the way the San Antonio area faced this natural disaster. I will always remember how the local community came together even if only for this emergency. I will not forget it especially when compared to the fear, uncertainty and reality in other parts of the country from the first hours to days.

It will indeed remain an important part of my experience and stay in Chile which I now intend till my death and if not, I will be all the wiser and stronger for it.

¡VIVA CHILE MIERDA!
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:39 am

The day after F27 I was in Villarrica centro---While there was obvious concern in the street for what had taken place and the recurring replicas----it was calm---IN regard to emergency services, there were two Chief Petty Officers running the show along with several rated personnel and it was all in order---as it has always been, extreme care and consideration was given to any mother with a baby-----at the muni there were basically two desks----one was arranging food and or lodging for residents and tourists and the other was for anyone looking to get out and back to where they were coming from---I observed several scenarios underway:

1)Young couple with baby looking to get back to Santiago----Intensive work on the part of the MUNI people to get them gas and the best route to avoid not only bridges out but also thug issues on the road----END SOLUTION--- a map, marked out with highlighter and enough gas to make the trip----Navy guys had the Pacos take them down to the COPEC and got them gas to move on---Really, there were multiple cases running like this while I was there--

2) Same as above, older couple, no kids, Pacos got them gas and they knew the route

3) An old, local Villarrica resident saying he had no food-----the typical muni young girl with a walkie telling him it had only been a day and how could he be out of food----an entire contingent of family on the sidewalk waiting for the handout----the girls moved him off the line and continued to talk with him which was really just wearing him out until he gave up but he was not getting any aide ---

4) Dozens of others coming up and getting basic info---the Navy had a very large poster board map, 2x2 meters, showing closures and gas situation----many came up and had specific questions where by the Navy guys were communicating with others in the region as to the conditions----

On a local level, everyone was very calm and helpful with whomever needed it----the lines at the Copec were organized and calm and everything was good-----Impressive really for what had been my experience in Chile in the past----Can't say enough for it----

I know as well, and I mentioned it before, Villarrica had two deaths as result of a landslide caused by a broken water line----I know the crew that went to dig it all out with excavators and they just went to do the work---during the episode, the mayor appeared and verbally stated that that the muni would pick up the cost and in the end for 2 days work, the muni paid the gas with all the operations volunteered at no cost----I believe the muni paid the funeral as well---I was there and muni personnel were there for not only the dead but others that lost their homes----

In our area where a main road had collapsed into a ravine, about 100 meters, within a year the road had been completely re-routed and repaired with the owner of land that the new road had encroached being paid for his land at the going rate if not a little more---as well it encroached on their home, they got paid for their home and got a new one too-----

Maybe the south just takes care of its own-----but it was impressive how it all got handled be it private or government---

Also, let's not forget the the US Army Field Surgical hospital that landed in Ancud and operated for nearly 3 months there taking on everything they were sent them-----

###

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:24 am

I certainly have no argument with local authorities, most of whom behaved admirably. Between them and the volunteers, things held together. Central government, however, is another matter.

El Lechero

Post by El Lechero » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:24 pm

GringoVikingo wrote:Not to destroy your joy to bashing Bachelet government, but Chile is one of few country, that have a plan, and can handle it. In Haiti there is still lot of people living in tent. And since most of people here is expat American, George Bush and hurricane Katrina?
When it come to natural disaster I rather live in Chile or Japan!
My view of Chile it's a world in miniature, from north to south.
My home country Norway is so regulate that You need a signature from some one to put a nail in a piece of wood, thats connected to a building.
I see more possibility, than limitation in Chile, but it's not a country where the government will hand holding you, By my self I think the reason I'm in Chile, is my reading from Roald Amunsen, Fridtjof Nansen and Thor Heyerdahl + a Chilena.
There is a difference between having a plan and being able to implement it. Also having a plan and being so regulated and rigid that you cant pissibly deviate from the plan is also not great either. Flexibility in Chile does not exist, if the plan says its black but when in reality its white, chileans will look for the protocol and say its black because thats what it says and follow that no matter what 9 times out of 10. Plans are only as good as the bafoons that have to follow them, if a change is needed in chile it would take 5 signatures and 2 months to change it.
so while it may look good on paper in chile the reality is something else.

Also Chile probably has more bullshit rules and regulations than norway probably does, its just they dont have the resources to enforce them, and no one respects them, there is not the culture of conforming and there is a mentality of if you can get away with it, why woulnt you try?
the govt would dearly love to be able to hold your hand here but it doesnt work like that here due to the culture, but dont think you dont need a signature here to put a nail in a piece of wood, technically you do, its just that no one bothers to get the paperwork done if they dont have to.

SCL

Post by SCL » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:49 pm

So, NO ONE person respects the rules that exist in Chile? Hmmm....And what is the "culture"?

El Lechero

Post by El Lechero » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:52 pm

The majority not everyone.

El Lechero

Post by El Lechero » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:53 pm

Its called the culture "of i dont give a shit about the proper procedures because the burrocrats are ass holes anyway and i cant be bothered waitting a year for someone to give me permission to do something or ill just act ignorant or give a bribe if i get found our"