10 year anniversary of 27/F

Everything to do with the earthquake in Chile 2010 including contacting relatives, latest news from regions and cities, search for assistance, how to help Chile, and anything else related to the disaster and recovery.
Forum rules
The Chile Forum policy against new users linking is suspended for the Chile Earthquake Forum during this crisis. BE WARNED: SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS WILL STILL BE SLAPPED DOWN HARD!! Legit links to information and resources however is fully welcome.
admin
Site Admin

10 year anniversary of 27/F

Post by admin » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:52 pm

10 year anniversary of the earthquake and tsunami is approaching.

Like my father always said, "don't worry, I guarantee tomorrow you will have bigger problems".

Guess he was right. In retrospect, that sure as hell seemed like the end of the world at the time.

I know everyone is busy worrying about today's problems, but thought a thread on yesterday's problems was in order.

congratulations and big salute to the forum members that were here and still around after 10+ years.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Donnybrook

Re: 10 year anniversary of 27/F

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:33 pm

Still here and not planning on going anywhere.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:40 pm

10 years already. Time flies when you're having fun.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:55 pm

Never thought something could happen (besides another big megaquake) that would cost Chile way more than 27F. And here we are. Anyone have an illegal AK that I can use to kill that black swan?
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:58 pm

Back to the topic, yes there was that moment during that 3 minute shake that I thought "I'm fucked" and that the building I lived in was probably gonna collapse on me (I lived on the 2nd floor of a 9 story apartment building which was within the northern edge of the maximum shake zone). I would later find out that the northern most continental Chile tsunami deaths occurred just a click below me when a giant wave wiped out 200 cabins and killed 5 people in the camping de Llolleo/Ojos del Mar.

So there are two zones left that have yet to rip, the far north of Chile and offshore Valpo. The local paper the other day once again ran the analysis of the geologist on this. The last big release for the Valpo area was in 1730. The two possible origin zones are Los Vilos to Valpo and then south of Valpo to Navidad (small town south of San Antonio). Possible accumulated energy for a 9.0. And this would be a shallow subduction quake vs. the deep one of 2010 that could generate a helluva greater tsunami.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard