Feeling guilty need advice

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
sandrab

Feeling guilty need advice

Post by sandrab » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:18 pm

Ok about 2 weeks ago I saw a puppy on the street by my house, it was very late and very cold out. Long story short I brought home into the property, fed him gave him water and made a makeshift shelter with a tarp and 2 chairs to keep out the wind. I put down a wool blanket and the poor guy fell asleep right away.

The next day when the sun came out and it warmed up I opened the gate and the little guy followed some kids up the street and I did not see him again. My male dog is highly aggressive towards other dogs and I can't risk either / or being injured, I helped for the night but saw the little guy again today while shopping in town.

I bought him some puppy food and fed him and continued on my way , right now sitting at home I have an overwhelming urge to go see if I can find him and give him a place to stay tonight ( it feels like a cold night coming on). My problem is I am afraid of upsetting the balance here with my dogs and also that I can't really keep this dog on the property without a major problem. I just feel so bad and since it is getting colder out I don't think I will sleep knowing he is out there.

Should I just leave it alone or ...

samhezi

Re: Feeling guilty need advice

Post by samhezi » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:53 pm

Follow your gut feeling
sandrab wrote:Ok about 2 weeks ago I saw a puppy on the street by my house, it was very late and very cold out. Long story short I brought home into the property, fed him gave him water and made a makeshift shelter with a tarp and 2 chairs to keep out the wind. I put down a wool blanket and the poor guy fell asleep right away.

The next day when the sun came out and it warmed up I opened the gate and the little guy followed some kids up the street and I did not see him again. My male dog is highly aggressive towards other dogs and I can't risk either / or being injured, I helped for the night but saw the little guy again today while shopping in town.

I bought him some puppy food and fed him and continued on my way , right now sitting at home I have an overwhelming urge to go see if I can find him and give him a place to stay tonight ( it feels like a cold night coming on). My problem is I am afraid of upsetting the balance here with my dogs and also that I can't really keep this dog on the property without a major problem. I just feel so bad and since it is getting colder out I don't think I will sleep knowing he is out there.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:52 pm

sandrab wrote:Ok about 2 weeks ago I saw a puppy on the street by my house, it was very late and very cold out. Long story short I brought home into the property, fed him gave him water and made a makeshift shelter with a tarp and 2 chairs to keep out the wind. I put down a wool blanket and the poor guy fell asleep right away.

My personal rule with homeless animals is that once I cross the line to feeding them, they are mine regardless if I want them or not. I don't put down the first handful of food, unless I am ready to go the whole distance. That means shots, fixing them, and so on. The last couple, I have scheduled vets before I even put down the food. I even go so far to imagine myself having to put that animal down in say 10-15 years, if all goes really well. Asking myself am I ready to go there. Probably more important is imagining if my wife is prepared to go there. I now have a cat and dog occupying most of my king size bed at night, that she declared would never be allowed in the house (makes me really careful about how large the animal is I help).

A couple of weeks ago we were going to lunch at our regular restaurant. Laying on the patio in front was a kitten that had been hit by a truck (Coke truck by the way). Back legs were obviously in bad shape, but it was hard to tell just how injured he was. Well, I made it to about ordering lunch, before I could not handle it any more. I called a friend of mine that is really in to animal rescue in the area, and she has all the vets in the region on call (she sends them a lot of biz, so they jump when she calls). By the time I dialled the phone, I had already made piece with the idea that another cat was coming home with me. Likely in pretty bad shape for a very long time, and likly going to be one of the more expensive cats I have ever owned. I was o.k. with all of that.

Unfortunately the cat was too far gone. He had to be put down. In some sense that is much easier (and harder), than the cat that dies of old age at the foot of my bed.

On the other hand, I have had a lot of animals over the years that I stepped in to help, prepared to offer them a home for as long as they needed it, and for one reason or another they went on their marry ways. Some got handed off to new owners. Some I think decide they didn't like me, and just left; but, I was committed to the offer I was making them.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:01 pm

admin, love your kind heart underthat metal exterior. :)

sandrab

Post by sandrab » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:23 pm

I swept thru town and did not see him. I honestly feel for this dog, my dogs also share my queen size bed and most nights I have been pushed to the edge with no covers ;) I don't mind at all. I do feed a lot of dogs in town and by the train station but they seem content to get some attention and carry on with their day.

This one however seems so lost and weak and if I didn't think my male would kill him I would defiantly have him on the bed next to us. I never really saw stray homeless dogs where I lived in Ontario so it's hard not to want to take them all home.

Cudos to those who stop to help these poor guys.

swdchile

Post by swdchile » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:36 pm

OMG, if I did what Charles does, I'd have 20+ dogs at my house. I've had up to 12 at one time (8 were puppies). Thankfully I'm down to 3. It is extremely hard to pass them by on the street.

I usually keep a bag of dog food and water in my car so i can at least provide some temporary relief. Luckily, it doesn't get so cold in La Serena that they risk freezing. It's the most I can do without bringing them all home.

The good news is that the mobile spay/neuter bus is up and running, so in X years or so, we might not have so many street dogs to feel sorry for.
Scout's Honor

jtke90

Post by jtke90 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:57 pm

sandrab wrote:Cudos to those who stop to help these poor guys.

Have you heard of the Asociación de Ayuda al Animal Abandonado (4A)? Maybe that's something you'd be interested in helping. I just stumbled across a mention of them when I was reading an article last night, and I plan to get involved. It breaks my heart to see all of these animals. I'm not sure I could handle seeing a puppy; luckily I've not come across one yet.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:46 pm

Sandrab, you are trying to simplify your life now and not complicate it. Puppies and kittens are designed with big eyes to wrench at our hearts. It would be awful to take the puppy in and have your dogs harm it. No puppies right now would be the best decision.

swdchile

Post by swdchile » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:15 am

Donnybrook wrote:Sandrab,
Puppies and kittens are designed with big eyes to wrench at our hearts.
Really?

I think puppies and kittens are designed with big hearts,

Our eyes are wrenched because we sense this fact.
Scout's Honor

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:44 am

swdchile wrote:
Donnybrook wrote:Sandrab,
Puppies and kittens are designed with big eyes to wrench at our hearts.
Really?

I think puppies and kittens are designed with big hearts,

Our eyes are wrenched because we sense this fact.
It actually has a name, which I can't remember, the cuteness factor which arouses our protective instincts. Goes for small babies or small animals. but that isn't the point. The point being that Sandrab has enough complications on her plate right now without adding more.

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:04 am

Donnybrook has got it right. Compassion follows well-being. If compassion detracts from well-being, ultimately the compassion will be temporary in its good effects and all too long-lasting in its bad effects. It sounds to me like your pets already tie you down to a considerable degree. Don't pile on.

John Hyre

greg~judy

Post by greg~judy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:41 am

JHyre wrote:Donnybrook has got it right. Compassion follows well-being. If compassion detracts from well-being, ultimately the compassion will be temporary in its good effects and all too long-lasting in its bad effects. It sounds to me like your pets already tie you down to a considerable degree. Don't pile on.

John Hyre
jeez JH~
om mane padme hum...
that's almost sounding like buddhist thought ?

but correctly put (at least to the op)...
"with compassion comes responsibility"

but JH~ calls it right...
and we must concur...
"don't pile it on"
:idea:
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa