Shipping dog from Chile to US

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
KJS

Shipping dog from Chile to US

Post by KJS » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:44 pm

I can't seem to find any posts about shipping a dog from Chile to the US, only vice versa.

Does anyone know any shipping or airline companies that will ship a dog from Santiago to the USA?

zer0nz

Re: Shipping dog from Chile to US

Post by zer0nz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:01 pm

read the lan website, all the info is on the site, even gives you a contact you can call or email for more information.........

As for entry requirements for the dog, you would need to search on the USA side..

fadgaget

Post by fadgaget » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:21 pm

I'd be REALLY interested in answers to this question as well !! I checked in with a local place that claims to ship dogs in Vitacura but the man couldn't even handle a meeting professionally and extremely cast doubt on how they'd handle shipping my dog internationally. He kept rescheduling and then showed up at my house 2 hours early and didn't think it was a big deal, etc. I've also looked around for good quality dog crates but haven't had luck and keep finding cheap plastic travel crates, etc. So along with you if anyone has ANY real advice on how to ship the dog as smoothly as possible I'd be interested as well.....

California South

Post by California South » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:07 pm

From US to Chile, LAN handled our multiple pet shipment without a hitch, and our situation was not easy. They are very solicitous.
IMPORTANT: Regardless who you choose, get a direct flight. Minimize the stress to your animal, and the chance they may not transfer with you. It happens.

Good quality crates are very difficult to find. There is an independent pet shop in the La Dehesa area that can order a crate for you. PM me if you need contact name/number. Owner speaks English.
Stultorum infinitus est numerus

KJS

Post by KJS » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:06 pm

Good replies all. I'm helping a friend ship his dog back to the US and we're going with LAN Chile. Before LAN we had contacted the only service provider we could find and they wanted to charge a fortune, a truly laughable markup, even for Santiago. Now to find the crate, which from the prices I've seen I'm better off building the thing myself. Again that unnamed service provider wanted to charge such a silly high price for the crate as well as the shipping/delivery service.

KJS

Post by KJS » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:50 pm

Got the dog back to the US without a problem. Just took hours by the time we got an acceptably sized cage constructed by a maestro. Lots of back and forth, stamps, separate payments (SAG, loading, cargo, etc.) to go through at the LAN Cargo at SCL airport. Par for the course I suppose. Moral of the story is if you have to ship a dog, it's less expensive (monetarily) to do it yourself.

fadgaget

Post by fadgaget » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:38 pm

Hello Kjs, I was wondering if you took your pet on the same flight you took? or if you sent the pet alone through lan cargo from Scl to the US?

KJS

Post by KJS » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:31 pm

fadgaget wrote:Hello Kjs, I was wondering if you took your pet on the same flight you took? or if you sent the pet alone through lan cargo from Scl to the US?
I shipped a dog to the US for a friend that had just moved out of Chile. I sent the dog via LAN cargo from SCL to LAX. All the basic pet freight requirements are outlined on LAN's website http://www.lancargo.com/mascotas. Officials there didn't seem to want any dog food attached to the crate or otherwise included in the shipment. They're pretty strict to code on the crate specs (or at least the official that spoke to me was).

You can get more detailed recommendations and requirements from IATA's website and "traveller's pet corner," including crate dimensions. LAN Cargo has the necessary shipping labels and "Live Animals" stickers on hand.

It's all fairly straight forward, but does take a little time to go through the process once at the airport (carga internacional section)...mainly due to SAG, Aduanas, LAN Cargo, and Teisa, LAN's (subcontractor?) freight handler, being in generally different offices and a couple of those offices being on one side of a toll booth type i.d. check area that you have to criss-cross. Slightly lacking on the convenience factor, yet not a problem.

Since you have to contact LAN Cargo to make a reservation, it's best to talk to someone there about what type/size/weight dog you're planning on shipping. This done so you (1) cut down on shipping cost and (2) make sure the crate passes sufficient approval.

Are you planning on shipping an animal out of SCL?

fadgaget

Post by fadgaget » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:06 am

Thanks Kjs.

Well I'm leaving Chile in Dec. and am heading to New York City. But! Since there's a travel blackout for all animals to new york city from Dec 1 - Mar 1 on LAN and many other airlines because of the winter weather I'm trying to figure out how to get my dog and cat from Santiago, Chile to New York.

I really hadn't wanted to ever send them via cargo for safety reasons (I was already nervous about taking them even on my sme flight!) but since taking them with me on my flight is no longer an option I don't know what to do???

It would really suck to have to take a mini-vacation and pay for a flight for me just to take the animals to NYC in like October or something. That's not very cost effective.

But I do worry as to what would happen to my dog once she arrives in NYC via Lan Cargo. Just the thought of her being stuck in limbo for a few days would be horrible.

Bsaically, the only way I would even do LAN cargo is only if they could garuantee that my dog would be handed over to my parents in NYC within 24 hours of her leaving Chile.

Thoughts??? Other ideas???

adoptaperro

Post by adoptaperro » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:04 am

If you need help in organising all the paperwork, etc I have a fantastic vet who speaks English and has helped many expats fly their pets all over the world. THey have all been very happy with her. Her name is Daniele De Silva 66676343. Email <LINK REMOVED>. She is also a mobile vet and has helped me with many of my dogs.

California South

Post by California South » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:20 pm

Thank you so much for the info re: Dra De Silva.
Another person (Chilean who speaks English) posted on here recently who travels a lot w/ show dogs, offering to assist with pet shipment, but she would not respond to PM's or emails. I see her post is now gone.

California South

Post by California South » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:11 pm

@fadgaget, on the LAN Cargo site, you'll see they permit grooms to accompany horse shipments. Perhaps they will permit a dog owner the same?