Animals to Chile...Emergency response needed

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
swdchile

Animals to Chile...Emergency response needed

Post by swdchile » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:46 pm

We need to have one or more of these transcribed into Spanish in order to bring our dog into Chile. But we're not sure which one needs to be translated. I would search, but we're out of time since we're leaving tomorrow from the US. Does anyone have any idea which one or how I can get this transcribed by tonight. It's 11:44AM in Texas right now. We're flying out tomorrow night from DFW. Help please, if you can!

USDA Receipt for Services
Official USDA document - United States Interstate and International Certificate of Health Examination of Small Animals
The certificate of rabies vaccination

Mucho gracias,

Scott
Scout's Honor

Groschi

Re: Emergency response needed

Post by Groschi » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:51 pm

When we imported our motorhome "la jefa" did the translation of the car papers and they were happy with that.

momof3

Post by momof3 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:12 am

swdchile wrote:We need to have one or more of these transcribed into Spanish in order to bring our dog into Chile. But we're not sure which one needs to be translated. I would search, but we're out of time since we're leaving tomorrow from the US. Does anyone have any idea which one or how I can get this transcribed by tonight. It's 11:44AM in Texas right now. We're flying out tomorrow night from DFW. Help please, if you can!

USDA Receipt for Services
Official USDA document - United States Interstate and International Certificate of Health Examination of Small Animals
The certificate of rabies vaccination

Mucho gracias,

Scott
I brought my dog in from the USA a couple months ago. This is exactly what I had the veterinarian write along the edges of the official USDA form (Please note that a form printed from the computer is not valid, it must be the one that is numbered with carbon copies underneath.) It worked because I quoted their website. Just to be sure your pet does not go into quarantine due to any other detail, have a look:http://www.chileclic.gob.cl/portal/w3-a ... 90774.html

1- Esta libre de enfermedades infecciosas transmisibles y parasitarias.

2-Fue vacunada contra la rabia, como mínimo 1 mes y como máximo 12 meses antes del embarque

3- Recibio un tratamiento antiparasitario externo e interno de amplio espectro dentro de los 30 días previos al embarque.

Good luck!
We agree to disagree.

picalena

Post by picalena » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:19 pm

Just wanted to post our recent experience. We flew out of DFW a few days ago with our pup on Feb 29, arrival SCL on March 1. We were worried about temps, as everyone probably knows it is crazy hot in Santiago right now and was forecast for 95F on arrival day. But AA did check to see what the forecast temp was for arrival time of 1030 and it was purportedly going to be 66F, so that was not an issue. They balked about our crate, but we were able to educate the CSR that we had the correct screws for the crate. Also, FYI, there is a potty area for dogs in the parking lot outside of and downstairs from international departure area for American Airlines.

As for the Santiago side, we followed the advice of momof3 and (1) had our vet use the old carbon forms that she still had, and (2) had our vet write the translations stated by momof3 in the comments section. USDA told us they have stopped issuing the carbon forms entirely, so I guess Chile is going to have to adapt to that or pets just aren't going to be able to come to Chile anymore. The SAG officer DID read the translations, because he then asked about them, including wanting to actually see the medicines that had been used for the ecto and endo parasites, even though our vet had written these on the form. Luckily we had brought them with us. I am not sure if he was going to not let us in if we didn't have them, or if he just wanted to have them to approve us bringing them in. Regardless, that turned out okay and we got our dog in as well as her supply of meds. We had extra dog food in baggies on the crate which we had fully expected would not be permitted entry into Chile. He confirmed this, but did explain that if the dog food had been in the original package it would have been allowed in. I don't know if the packaging could have been opened. I presume not, but don't know. It was all pretty painless. As others have said before, and as the USDA even now says on their Chile protocols, no embassy certification or approval is required. I realize another user on the forum had to jump through that hoop, but it is clearly not necessary. We did have to sit down with SAG and answer a bunch of questions, so the officer did want to talk with the one of us that spoke Spanish better. Not sure if they would have been able to conduct in English for those who don't speak Spanish.

One other thing that was unexpected was that AA just put her crate out with all the regular luggage. In the past it had seemed that dogs had come out at the AA desk that used to be near the SAG desk (I am not sure if it is still there since the remodeling of the whole luggage / aduana area). So we were kind of surprised to see her just sitting there.

But overall it went well. If anyone in the future has any questions, feel free to PM us, and we will be happy to help however we can with understanding the process.

Also, the SAG officer says we are supposed to check in with SAG in our region to check in. Has anyone else done this after arrival? The Chilean SAG code says that dogs are supposed to stay at the residence for 10 days, but I was just wondering if others have done this. We plan to do so, but won't be in our region for another week or so and don't really plan to check in in Santiago since we don't want to be in Santiago for 10 days.

Chau,
pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:43 pm

We take our dog back and forth between Chile and Argentina once a year. I know this is not the same as bringing in a pet, but wanted to comment on the 10 days thing. This is the first time returning to Chile (at the land border at Mamuil Malal) that we were given a form to fill in which set out 28 days as the period she should remain at home. We chatted to the SAG officer about it and he said it was a new thing. In our case there was no mention of checking in with SAG unless the dog showed some symptoms of illness. In our case we were just returning home (did this a few days ago) and so there is no problem keeping her at home for 28 days. We did not receive a copy of the form we filled in, it was a single sheet which we signed. There wasn´t anything on it about checking in with SAG, just the comment from the officer about doing it if the dog presented signs of illness.

Perhaps you could just phone SAG when you get home. I wouldn´t try to do it in Santiago.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:57 pm

The real question is:
swdchile
Did you make it, you were flying out the next day on Jan 27????
It's all about the wine.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:21 pm

picalena wrote:Just wanted to post our recent experience. We flew out of DFW a few days ago with our pup on Feb 29, arrival SCL on March 1. We were worried about temps, as everyone probably knows it is crazy hot in Santiago right now and was forecast for 95F on arrival day. But AA did check to see what the forecast temp was for arrival time of 1030 and it was purportedly going to be 66F, so that was not an issue. They balked about our crate, but we were able to educate the CSR that we had the correct screws for the crate. Also, FYI, there is a potty area for dogs in the parking lot outside of and downstairs from international departure area for American Airlines.

As for the Santiago side, we followed the advice of momof3 and (1) had our vet use the old carbon forms that she still had, and (2) had our vet write the translations stated by momof3 in the comments section. USDA told us they have stopped issuing the carbon forms entirely, so I guess Chile is going to have to adapt to that or pets just aren't going to be able to come to Chile anymore. The SAG officer DID read the translations, because he then asked about them, including wanting to actually see the medicines that had been used for the ecto and endo parasites, even though our vet had written these on the form. Luckily we had brought them with us. I am not sure if he was going to not let us in if we didn't have them, or if he just wanted to have them to approve us bringing them in. Regardless, that turned out okay and we got our dog in as well as her supply of meds. We had extra dog food in baggies on the crate which we had fully expected would not be permitted entry into Chile. He confirmed this, but did explain that if the dog food had been in the original package it would have been allowed in. I don't know if the packaging could have been opened. I presume not, but don't know. It was all pretty painless. As others have said before, and as the USDA even now says on their Chile protocols, no embassy certification or approval is required. I realize another user on the forum had to jump through that hoop, but it is clearly not necessary. We did have to sit down with SAG and answer a bunch of questions, so the officer did want to talk with the one of us that spoke Spanish better. Not sure if they would have been able to conduct in English for those who don't speak Spanish.

One other thing that was unexpected was that AA just put her crate out with all the regular luggage. In the past it had seemed that dogs had come out at the AA desk that used to be near the SAG desk (I am not sure if it is still there since the remodeling of the whole luggage / aduana area). So we were kind of surprised to see her just sitting there.

But overall it went well. If anyone in the future has any questions, feel free to PM us, and we will be happy to help however we can with understanding the process.

Also, the SAG officer says we are supposed to check in with SAG in our region to check in. Has anyone else done this after arrival? The Chilean SAG code says that dogs are supposed to stay at the residence for 10 days, but I was just wondering if others have done this. We plan to do so, but won't be in our region for another week or so and don't really plan to check in in Santiago since we don't want to be in Santiago for 10 days.

Chau,
pl
did you arrive in chile on thursday by any chance? around mid day? if so i was keeping entertained watching you move the dog cage around the baggage area from the viewing windows :)

picalena

Post by picalena » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:36 pm

zer0nz wrote:did you arrive in chile on thursday by any chance? around mid day? if so i was keeping entertained watching you move the dog cage around the baggage area from the viewing windows :)
Jaja! Yes we did! If you can describe the color of my hair, we will buy you a beer. Or twelve.

pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:19 pm

picalena wrote:
zer0nz wrote:did you arrive in chile on thursday by any chance? around mid day? if so i was keeping entertained watching you move the dog cage around the baggage area from the viewing windows :)
Jaja! Yes we did! If you can describe the color of my hair, we will buy you a beer. Or twelve.

pl

haha, i think it might of been white or grey, if it wasnt, sorry for the insult! lol, huge dog cage tho!

picalena

Post by picalena » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:56 pm

[quote="zer0nz"]haha, i think it might of been white or grey, if it wasnt, sorry for the insult! lol, huge dog cage tho!

Umm, no. Good to know we didn't stick out that much though! Our crate was small, and you are way off on the hair color! Funny though, would have noticed someone with a big dog crate, so not sure how we missed that.

Cheers,
pl

swdchile

Post by swdchile » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:21 am

nwdiver wrote:The real question is:
swdchile
Did you make it, you were flying out the next day on Jan 27????
Yes, safe and sound. Thank you for asking. And here is my Kizzy McDougle:
Kizzy 2.jpg
Kizzy 2.jpg (41.76 KiB) Viewed 2863 times
Scout's Honor

swdchile

Post by swdchile » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:22 am

BTW, here's all you have to do to ship a dog to chile...easy breezy!
Milagros.jpg
Milagros.jpg (34.95 KiB) Viewed 4567 times
Scout's Honor