Chile: country of street dogs

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
marti
Location: Another project. Another country. And besides, the wench is dead.,

Re: Chile: country of street dogs

Post by marti » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:42 pm

La mitad de eficaz. El doble de caro. El triple de complicado. Un país de cuarto.

marti

Post by marti » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:14 pm

[1001001
La mitad de eficaz. El doble de caro. El triple de complicado. Un país de cuarto.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:29 pm

chucao_ambar wrote:
What the pooper scooper lobby doesn´t want you to know is that this is really just a result of abortion becoming legal 30 years earlier. Children from disadvantaged backgrounds with single mothers are more likely to let their dogs defecate on the sidewalk (obviously). I thought that everything about NYC improving being related to abortion was common knowledge now.

So, if Chile follows suit, I think our little dog problem will evaporate on its own. Plus a few other issues.
If you had read the article quoted and followed what has been said, you would have noticed a couple of things:

1- In 1978 New York was not part of the 'civilized' world.

2- Twenty years after the law had been passed nothing had changed.
In 1997, the department estimated that 60 percent of residents abided by the law, roughly the same as in 1978, but with twice as many pets roaming the streets.
3- How much better is it? May be they are still not part of the 'civilized' world.
The law’s effectiveness is debated, as the amount of feces on sidewalks is difficult to quantify
And your comment about 'Children from disadvantaged backgrounds with single mothers', and the suggestion that abortion is the solution to stray dogs and other problems, .......Really ????

marti

Post by marti » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:48 pm

chucao_ambar

Post by chucao_ambar » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:34 pm

frozen-north wrote:
chucao_ambar wrote:
What the pooper scooper lobby doesn´t want you to know is that this is really just a result of abortion becoming legal 30 years earlier. Children from disadvantaged backgrounds with single mothers are more likely to let their dogs defecate on the sidewalk (obviously). I thought that everything about NYC improving being related to abortion was common knowledge now.

So, if Chile follows suit, I think our little dog problem will evaporate on its own. Plus a few other issues.
If you had read the article quoted and followed what has been said, you would have noticed a couple of things:

1- In 1978 New York was not part of the 'civilized' world.

2- Twenty years after the law had been passed nothing had changed.
In 1997, the department estimated that 60 percent of residents abided by the law, roughly the same as in 1978, but with twice as many pets roaming the streets.
3- How much better is it? May be they are still not part of the 'civilized' world.
The law’s effectiveness is debated, as the amount of feces on sidewalks is difficult to quantify
And your comment about 'Children from disadvantaged backgrounds with single mothers', and the suggestion that abortion is the solution to stray dogs and other problems, .......Really ????
Whoa there, hold your fire! I believe it´s quite clear that my comment was at least moderately tongue-in-cheek. Please consider the fact that most of what you read on this forum was not produced by A.I., and not everything is meant to be taken literally. Some say there is hard statistical evidence that the drop in crime that occurred in NYC and much of the rest of the US during the mid-1990´s was related to the legalisation of abortion in 1973. I was referencing that relatively well-known theory. This isn´t some nasty idea I dreamt up on my own, and for better or worse it isn´t really too farfetched is it?

My family is from NYC, so I know a fair bit about the city now and back in the ¨uncivilized days.¨ Frankly, having dog poop around isn´t the worst thing. ¨You´ve got to scrape the shit right off your shoes¨ is an important life lesson. You´re all gonna miss it! You´ll see... You´ll see what happens when humans meddle with biology...
marti wrote:This is easy to understand.

What passes for culture at all levels in New York is almost universally recognised to feature a substantial degree of excrement.
Where is decent culture hiding out? I imagine that you might envision the world as passing through some kind of cultural bottleneck, with its very survival an uncertain proposition if it isn´t already extinct. Meanwhile, all there is to do is sit back and watch from your little corner of the world, grumbling like some learned virtual poltergeist.

marti

Post by marti » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:48 pm

chucao_ambar wrote: Meanwhile, all there is to do is sit back and watch from your little corner of the world, grumbling like some learned virtual poltergeist.
Hardly. Sitting back is not in the libretto, nor is acquiescence to close-by evil acceptable. To effect positive change one must not sit on one's soft arse contemplating navels and valencias but instead take arms against this sea of troubles, to raise up the vorpal sword and do a little snickersnack. Or as we say here amongst the cormorants and the penguins, we must take the bull by the tail and look the matter squarely in the face.

Though I might put some of that off until after lunch.
contem.jpg
contem.jpg (31.75 KiB) Viewed 1948 times

john

Post by john » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:25 pm

Marti's cultural comment about NYC is typical of his penchant for hyperbole...but, then again, he may have been thinking of Huntington Beach, CA at that very moment. :wink:

BTW, the stray dog (perros vagabundos) population in Viña del Mar has decreased significantly over the past couple of years. The remaining ones seem to be well fed and cared for (and also better behaved than their posh counterparts). :)
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

marti

Post by marti » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:52 pm

john

Post by john » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:21 pm

marti wrote:
john wrote:
BTW, the stray dog (perros vagabundos) population in Viña del Mar has decreased significantly over the past couple of years. The remaining ones seem to be well fed and cared for (and also better behaved than their posh counterparts). :)
I also noticed the reduction in the population of perros callejeros in Viña but I attributed that to the growing number and popularity of the Chinese restaurants in the comuna.

Along with the improved nature of the platos de fondo.
So that explains the curious tasting peking duck of late? :)
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:54 pm

marti wrote:
john wrote:
I also noticed the reduction in the population of perros callejeros in Viña but I attributed that to the growing number and popularity of the Chinese restaurants in the comuna.

Along with the improved nature of the platos de fondo.
Aha! very astute observation marti..

When visiting Peru for the third time, seen the Ronin dogs were too scarce to be noticed..
Asked my hosting family..Donde estan los perros callejeros? The answer was a new wave of imigrants arrived from China
and they all go into opening up " chow fun " establishmenst and they pay good for especialty type of meat! Thus all Incas
descending from the Sierras amazonas go to work in corralling the Ronin dogs !
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

marti

Post by marti » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:25 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote: the Ronin dogs !
ronin dog, no match for ronin cat with wakizashi, ne?
ronincat.jpg
ronincat.jpg (27.63 KiB) Viewed 1853 times

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:32 pm

marti wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote: the Ronin dogs !
ronin dog, no match for ronin cat with wakizashi, ne?
ronincat.jpg
Wakizashi ? nah, give me the real McCoy..I can swing the Daitoh much better!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Katana+ ... cs&spell=1
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.