Chile: country of street dogs

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Chile: country of street dogs

Post by admin » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:03 pm

beyond marti's bullshit, the sterilization programs around the south are making some progress.

There is a marked reduction in Frutillar in the number of puppies litters running around the streets this year. Still a few, but not nearly as many. Most the dogs running around are the well known, and often owned, older group of dogs that have been here for years. Very few new additions to the local pack.

The puerto montt sterilization clinic is doing 30-40 dogs a day. My vet works there in the morning doing assembly line type sterilizations. At that rate, the math should catch up to the population growth rate of dogs in a year or two.

I also got the benefit of all that practice when she sterilized one of my dogs recently. The female came back with the prettiest 2 stitch, folded suture I have ever seen. Took my dog longer to grow the hair back around the incision than for the incision to close. Looks like she had a bug bite not surgery.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

marti
Location: Another project. Another country. And besides, the wench is dead.,

Post by marti » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:53 pm

La mitad de eficaz. El doble de caro. El triple de complicado. Un país de cuarto.

chucao_ambar

Post by chucao_ambar » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:46 am

The quiltros, despite the many issues associated with them, are at least spirited and likeable animals by and large. As for a mass sterilization program, I don´t see why they can´t take a citizen science approach - provide a training program and make it a neighborhood project. Teach a man to fish... They can put up billboards and everything, before and after, the ¨after¨ picture with a bunch of smiling kids and a responsible adult standing over Flaquito, who is peacefully unconscious with an expression of muted gratitude. The future vets of Chile will tell stories of how they rose out of poverty and excelled in school after helping sterilize the neighborhood dogs as children.

As for those horrible nocturnal-barking, sh!tting, mindlessly slobbering pieces of yard furniture that people actually do keep as full-on gringo style pets - those ¨dogs¨ - that´s a real doosie. Those things make the average quiltro look like Pablo Neruda, or Ernest Hemingway, or Michel Foucault, or Amy Winehouse.

Putting aside for a moment the effects of living in poverty and squalor, it´s also a sad thing to see what over-socialization can do to an animal that is usually quite likeable if left to its own devices, fed some nutritious scraps, and treated with a bit of respect. It´s a shame about the dogs too. We ought not to turn our gaze so quickly to the mongrels in the street, lest we fail to see our own reflection in a pool of motor oil.

In all seriousness, the way people treat animals says a lot about who they are. People have a different culture of animal care here, and it can be frustrating. But the large majority of these dogs are very good-natured, especially considering the conditions in which they live. I think this speaks to a place and its people, a place where - a pesar de todo - the warmth of this beautiful world, of this beautiful life, is still felt, emanating unbridled, except by the normal turbulence and riffraff, from the divine and crusty godhead. And for a godhead, crusty just means more crystalline mist and fleeting images of mysterious deities. Nurtured by the cradle of the Andes, the Atacama, the South Pacific, this place has yet to be shuttered to the old way: the lazy calm, the nurturing chaos, the dark humor written in the stars, the endless embrace of laughing at it all or else at least going on lunch break. Why can´t more people see the problems of Chile in this way? The problems of one´s own life, better yet? Can´t you see that all else is futile?

marti

Post by marti » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:15 am

La mitad de eficaz. El doble de caro. El triple de complicado. Un país de cuarto.

chucao_ambar

Post by chucao_ambar » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:55 am

Recent and deep agrarian roots, the fact that a lot of these quiltros have been out on the streets for countless generations and most probably aren´t the result of individuals just deciding to throw their pet out with the garbage (which is deplorable when it happens)... I hear what you´re saying, but you´re overstating the case that Chileans are lazy cretins. Look around the world, even the rich parts, Chile ain´t so bad with regard to this issue or most others. The issue needs to be resolved, they´re working on it. Are they doing a good enough job, perhaps not. [Flawless utopian society of the future] wasn´t built in a day, they will say.

edited for clarity and length.

marti

Post by marti » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:58 am

chucao_ambar

Post by chucao_ambar » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:14 am

Oh, well that was the unedited version - editing it was pointless anyway - but no I wouldn't summarize what I'm saying in that way, in any case. Yeah, maybe we are still stuck in the stone age though. The sky above is is still full of mystery, the future will hold new pioneer days, and we're still just big intelligent shitting animals. Sounds good to me, I don't want the whole world to turn into Singapore or what have you.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:22 am

In 1978, New York had an estimated half-million dogs, most of which were not licensed. Complaints about dog feces on city sidewalks were common, so, in an effort to clean up the “littered” sidewalks, the City of New York passed the Canine Waste Law.

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/on- ... --Law.html
And 27 years later:
2005 .... “the city is plainly cleaner, poop-wise, than it was.”

marti

Post by marti » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:26 am

chucao_ambar

Post by chucao_ambar » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:00 pm

frozen-north wrote:
And 27 years later:
2005 .... “the city is plainly cleaner, poop-wise, than it was.”
What the pooper scooper lobby doesn´t want you to know is that this is really just a result of abortion becoming legal 30 years earlier. Children from disadvantaged backgrounds with single mothers are more likely to let their dogs defecate on the sidewalk (obviously). I thought that everything about NYC improving being related to abortion was common knowledge now.

So, if Chile follows suit, I think our little dog problem will evaporate on its own. Plus a few other issues.
marti wrote: Getting a simple fill-in-the-blanks residential insurance policy prepared correctly after more than a month and three hapless attempts might not be asking too much.
Sure, because that´s so easy a caveman could do it after all. Maybe Chilean companies need to start outsourcing more work to remote portions of the Amazon. The people would probably just do it for free, busywork from the gods. They can airdrop rugged telecommunications devices designed by an anthropologist/user interface expert, that would be the only expense. As ludicrous as this idea sounds, I firmly believe it is technically possible. That thought alone sends chills down my spine as I am struck by the utter strangeness of this universe we inhabit.

marti

Post by marti » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:05 pm

chucao_ambar

Post by chucao_ambar » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:29 pm

marti wrote: Yes, the sky is indeed full of mystery. And the sidewalk is full of reality, which right now is sticking to the bottom of your hawaianas.

Castillos en el aire, mierda en la vereda.
I only wear hawaianas to take out the trash. You´ve got me all wrong. And if I do encounter dog crap out there on the curb, I tenderly skewer it with some twigs and place it into the waste bin.

There will always be mierda en la vereda.