Chile: country of street dogs

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
pinguin

Re: Chile: country of street dogs

Post by pinguin » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:13 pm

Yes, that's a big problem in Chile. We should get rid of them all. Nobody has the courage to kill them all.

There are even some that protect those dogs.

Street dog at the government house:

:roll:

greg~judy

Post by greg~judy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:22 pm

Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa

terra nullius

Post by terra nullius » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:44 pm

greg~judy wrote:.....

TYVM
All interested: TYVM = "Thank You Very Much". (in English)

Source: Urban Dictionary

Respectfully,

T. N.
Professor Emeritus
The Royal Zoological Society of Chilbonia
"Remember: man is not a pig, he cannot burst when he eats. Have no fear, you will not burst. It is imagination. How can one burst if one eats well?" ~ G. I. Gurdjieff

yamantako
Location: Shadows, illusion, fantasy, reflections in mirrors.

Post by yamantako » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:08 pm

O my Sheikh, my true Sheikh!

Is your order to us to slaughter all dogs?

May you have all good and success in this life and the next.

Yamantako
"The color of the water depends on the color of its container. People cannot know it, until they have a taste of it. Every thing is reflected in it, without veiling, without defect."

greg~judy

Post by greg~judy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:20 pm

yamantako wrote: Is your order to us to slaughter all dogs?
May you have all good and success in this life and the next.
Dear y~o...
Please understand western culture and language encourage the use of euphemism...
Perhaps our canine offenders should be:
a) culled
b) euthanized
c) put down
d) put to sleep
e) mercy killed

Just an idea :idea:
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa

pinguin

Post by pinguin » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:24 pm

yamantako wrote:O my Sheikh, my true Sheikh!

If you want them alive, Patagoniax and me can collect them for you, and leave them at your home. Not problem.

:twisted:

May you live happy, crowded by half a million street dogs.

yamantako
Location: Shadows, illusion, fantasy, reflections in mirrors.

Post by yamantako » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:51 pm

pinguin wrote:
yamantako wrote:O my Sheikh, my true Sheikh!

If you want them alive, Patagoniax and me can collect them for you, and leave them at your home. Not problem.

:twisted:

May you live happy, crowded by half a million street dogs.
"Patagoniax and me?" So, I have two Sheikhs? I am more than happy.

May my Sheikhs always prosper.

Yamantako
"The color of the water depends on the color of its container. People cannot know it, until they have a taste of it. Every thing is reflected in it, without veiling, without defect."

Zenth

Post by Zenth » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:41 am

Killing them is not the answer.
The Chilean resistance to neutering/spaying must be addressed.
If they were caught, fixed, and returned to the street, the problem would eventually and less violently diminish.
Might work for some irresponsible people as well.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:09 am

As the owner of a former street dog (many), I need to come to their defense a bit.

The problem is not that there are street dogs. There are street dogs in every country in the world (even where they tend to eat them). The problem is the lack of laws to regulate dogs, dog ownership, licensing, vaccinations, and so on. Put a 200,000 peso fine on not having your dog vaccinated, or letting it wonder around free. How about 200,000 peso license fee to have a dog not fixed after 1 year old. Breeders can still breed pure breads, but it will cost them to have an unfixed animal. so on, and so forth. How about bonuses for people that adopt and take care of street dogs? The people are the problem. The dogs are just being dogs. This is from a guy that has been chased by a pack of street dogs. I don't really hold it against the dogs.

I have to hand it to the government spokes person. The morning of the attack she was out front of the Moneda defending street dogs and talking about her own adopted street dog.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

terra nullius

Post by terra nullius » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:50 am

What would Chilean Muslims say?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unclean_animals wrote:Dogs

Dogs are mentioned in the book of Islam the Quran several times e.g. in sura 18 where a dog is a companion of the dwellers of the Cave. The Quran also tells that it is permissible to eat what trained dogs catch (5:4). Nevertheless, many Islamic teachers state dogs should be considered unclean and that Muslims licked by them must perform purification. According to a Sunni Islam Hadith, a plate that a dog has used for feeding must be washed seven times, including once with clean sand mixed with the water, before a person may eat from it.

According to the majority of Sunni scholars, dogs can be owned by farmers, hunters, and shepherds, for the purpose of hunting and guarding.

Another exception appears to be made by the Bedouin in the case of the Saluki. They are allowed in the tents and considered special companions.
Respectfully,

T. N.
Professor Emeritus
"Remember: man is not a pig, he cannot burst when he eats. Have no fear, you will not burst. It is imagination. How can one burst if one eats well?" ~ G. I. Gurdjieff

terra nullius

Post by terra nullius » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:14 pm

patagoniax wrote:What does Yamantako/Rune suggest as a way of dealing with the health/safety problem of legions of vicious loose dogs? Something perhaps more prescriptive than philosophical.
While these wacky old farts are all busy following certain [undocumented] contemplative techniques, in their foolish attempts to see the true nature of things, here is what I'd thought they would suggest:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_meat wrote:Dog meat (Chinese: 狗肉; pinyin: gǒu ròu) has been a source of food in some areas of China from at least around 500 BC, and possibly even before. Mencius, the philosopher, recommended dog meat because of its pharmaceutical properties. Ancient writings from the Zhou Dynasty referred to the "three beasts" (which were bred for food), comprising pig, goat, and dog. Dog meat is sometimes euphemistically called "fragrant meat" (香肉 xiāng ròu) or "mutton of the earth" (地羊 dì yáng) in Mandarin Chinese and "3-6 fragrant meat" (traditional Chinese: 三六香肉; Cantonese Yale: sàam luhk hèung yuhk) in Cantonese (3 plus 6 is 9 and the words "nine" and "dog" are homophones, both pronounced gáu in Cantonese. In Mandarin, "nine" and "dog" are pronounced differently).

The eating of dog meat China dates back thousands of years. Dog meat has long been thought by some to have medicinal properties, and is especially popular in winter months as it is believed to generate heat and promote bodily warmth. Also, dogs have occasionally been eaten as an emergency food supply.
Respectfully,

T. N.
Professor Emeritus

GJJIM

Post by GJJIM » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:44 pm

I have to agree with admin on this, problem is not the dogs but the strange Chilean attitude/inhibition with regards to spaying and neutering pets. Like many things in Chile, the life of these dogs is romanticized and the ugly reality ignored. Why bother with the problem when poetry de perros vagos will suffice? Alert the Nobel Committee! 8)