Post your Pet Photos

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
Donnybrook

Re: Post your Pet Photos

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:58 pm

I am guessing that Lola (the dog, right?) is not in her own chair but the one usually used by you. I noticed that it is marginally taller than your wife's chair. Just so we get to know you a little better……is that deliberate? Considering the woodpile and all. :wink: :D

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:16 pm

Donnybrook wrote:I am guessing that Lola (the dog, right?) is not in her own chair but the one usually used by you. I noticed that it is marginally taller than your wife's chair. Just so we get to know you a little better……is that deliberate? Considering the woodpile and all. :wink: :D
well I do sit in that chair when Lola lets me :D , but the difference in height is due to the fact that the chairs are adjustable and that one just happens to be in the upright position, the other in recline. but I am taller than her. maybe Roxana and Lola should switch.

thaitochile

Post by thaitochile » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:18 am

So, how long before a newbie can post their pet pics?
Prayers without wine are perfectly pointless.

ARISTOPHANES

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:20 pm

thaitochile wrote:So, how long before a newbie can post their pet pics?
I already see your pet's pic in your avatar ! Keep on posting till acumulating more than a few " dozen posts"...
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:36 pm

You're practically there. And a belated welcome.

• Welcome the fact that you appear to be a genuine poster and not a troll.
• That you immediately did not start to pick fights with long time forumites or tell us what asses we are (true we can generally be asses but usually to teach about the reality of Chile or to make an important point rather than just being a nasty troll-like ass).
• Apparently one that can search and do preliminary research before posting a question (I suspect a younger Boomer or older X'er).
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

thaitochile

Post by thaitochile » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:57 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:You're practically there. And a belated welcome.

• Welcome the fact that you appear to be a genuine poster and not a troll.
• That you immediately did not start to pick fights with long time forumites or tell us what asses we are (true we can generally be asses but usually to teach about the reality of Chile or to make an important point rather than just being a nasty troll-like ass).
• Apparently one that can search and do preliminary research before posting a question (I suspect a younger Boomer or older X'er).
Thanks for the welcome eeuu,
Yes, a younger boomer is correct...born and raised in Oregon and lived in Washington State (for a while) and after lots of travel for 20+ years moved 5 years ago to Thailand. Now I am seriously considering a move to a place that I can get real residency and citizenship (Thailand simply will not work for that). I have experience from travel and expat-dom that I never really felt the need to compare the West to my present home and doubt I would do it anywhere I landed....Of course if someone would like to make me "benevolent dictator" I would change some things right away but I realize that most things I would change would have both positive and negative consequences and I do not want wherever I am to become another USA....I left for a reason(s), why would I want it back....
I realize that this last part has nothing to do with your comments, lol....just a for-what-it's-worth. I will actually attempt research before posting a question and I will have lots of questions, no doubt....thanks in advance for the insight.

ARISTOPHANES

thaitochile

Post by thaitochile » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:59 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
thaitochile wrote:So, how long before a newbie can post their pet pics?
I already see your pet's pic in your avatar ! Keep on posting till acumulating more than a few " dozen posts"...
Hi Hy, the avatar isn't my pet....I just liked the dogs expression, lol.

ARISTOPHANES

thaitochile

Post by thaitochile » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:05 am

This is Buckley as a pup. I got him from a litter that the next door neighbor had at my home in Thailand. The mom is a German Shepard mix (unknown mix) and the dad is a Black Lab/Rottweiler.
Dad will scare the heck out of you by either looks or his bark but he is actually a slobbering softy.
Attachments
rsz_rsz_imgp3146 (1).jpg
Awwwww
rsz_rsz_imgp3146 (1).jpg (39.31 KiB) Viewed 1692 times

ARISTOPHANES

thaitochile

Post by thaitochile » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:20 am

Here is a second 8 week old Buckley pic...sorry for posting two but as you can see it was worth it.
Attachments
rsz_rsz_imgp3129.jpg
Tired but not too tired to eat...
rsz_rsz_imgp3129.jpg (90.23 KiB) Viewed 1689 times

ARISTOPHANES

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:50 pm

We got a dog here in Chile (Lucas), but honestly it is not working out very well. He is very hyperactive and is constantly trying to jump on and scratch and bite everyone. If you try to pet him, he tries to bite you for example. When I open our gate to go out, he (if not tied up in advance) will immediately run out into the road and start running all around barking at much bigger dogs. When I pick him up to carry him back inside, he tries to bite me. He likes to run short circles round and round me at a hundred miles an hour making it almost impossible not to step on him.

I tried doing some research online and with another experienced owner of dogs to train away some of this behaviour, but we were not very successful so far. As he grows up he is actually getting worse. Letting him have the run of our large garden for the whole day doesn't calm him down. He is probably a bit lacking in care from us to be honest, but only the emotional/attention/lonely sort. But it is kind of a negative cycle. You try to play with him, and he's so annoying you give up. You try to train his behaviour by ignoring him on negative behaviour and giving him attention for positive behaviour. But almost all of his behaviour is negative, so the only result of that is he gets no attention.

He is the same with our 2-year old son, constantly trying to jump on him, push him etc. In one case he knocked him onto the floor and then jumped all over his face. At this point we had to admit we have made a mistake in getting Lucas in the first place, we should have done some more research on breeds etc before getting the dog. He would be better suited to a home without young children - and to a very patient owner willing to spend more time training his behaviour (or putting up with it). At the moment, we have to tie him up whenever our son goes outside. Even then, my young son will walk over to interact with him, and I even saw him pressing his face up against Lucas's face as a game which looked like a good way to get your face bitten off.

But no friends or close family want this dog, and we are somewhat reluctant to give this dog to just anyone because then we don't know if he will be well treated. The other issue is that if we are honest about what this dog is like, no-one will want him. If we are not honest, we run the risk of just passing off the problem to another family that won't treat him well or know how to control this behaviour.

We cannot keep this dog because he is not safe for our son. But, we honestly don't know what to do at this point. Let me know if you got any advice... or if you have a big enough heart to be Lucas new owner! I don't mind going as far as Santiago (1 hour from me) or Vina (2 hours) if by some miracle someone is actually interested.

Photo - scroll down to bottom http://www.idledreamer.com/?p=310
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Britkid wrote:
We got a dog here in Chile (Lucas), but honestly it is not working out very well. .............

We cannot keep this dog because he is not safe for our son. But, we honestly don't know what to do at this point. Let me know if you got any advice...
Have you watched the videos of Cesar Millan, the 'Dog Whisperer'?
HTH

thaitochile

Post by thaitochile » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:38 pm

frozen-north wrote:
Britkid wrote:
We got a dog here in Chile (Lucas), but honestly it is not working out very well. .............

We cannot keep this dog because he is not safe for our son. But, we honestly don't know what to do at this point. Let me know if you got any advice...
Have you watched the videos of Cesar Millan, the 'Dog Whisperer'?
HTH
I have at the moment 7 dogs (all different types and personalities)....one inside and six outside....plus one inside cat. I adopted all of them from the immediate area plus offspring before I had the chance to get the area dogs "fixed" at the vet. Thailand and all of Asia for that matter has a huge street dog issue (many are not really street dogs and do stay near or at someone's house however, even if it isn't their dog). I take care of another 5 dogs in the area with attention, food and training. I have had a dog in my life since I was 1 years old. All of my dogs have basic training and some more than basic....and no, it doesn't take a lot of time to do it. Also, I have been trained myself....more important than training the dog!
By the way, I am not some wacky dog person and although I do have a lot of dogs it only came about from the needs in my neighborhood. The Thai's for sure think I am a wacky dog person but they think all Farang (foreigners that are white) are wacky. I think they just believe I was a dog in my last life, lol. They have no idea why the dogs listen to me and obey me....it's a great mystery to them I think. Most Thai's just ignore the dogs and feed them if they have food to give....usually rice and leftovers. I have rarely seen them train a dog or even be affectionate with a dog.
Since it sounds like you are at the end of your ropes and your dog is attacking you and your family...I would agree that the quickest method to get Lucas under control would be a dominance-based method like Cesar promotes (just watch some vids on YouTube or elsewhere). I have no idea if Lucas's behavior is bad enough to deserve an "alpha-roll" or not. I just want to warn you that doing something like an "alpha-roll" is a last resort and you need to follow-up with more positive methods as you could just make matters worse with frightening the dog. Cesar's new show is called, Leader Of The Pack. He lost the rights to The Dog Whisperer a while back but you can still find his videos online.
Let me add that I normally really hate this method of dog training and it can lead to major problems in the future. Dogs are not wolves and haven't been for at least 10-15 thousand years. If you had the time I would have suggested a relationship-based training method. Dogs want to have a relationship with a human. They are the ONLY animal that prefers humans (only one sometimes) over their own kind including their own mother...
I wish I was in Chile so I could help you but alas I am in Thailand for a few more years. By the way, what is the breed of dog and is it male or female? Has it been "fixed"? Where did you get Lucas? How old was he when you took him home?

By the way why would you post this under the pictures thread??? This should be in the open forum on pets to get the maximum help for your problem.

ARISTOPHANES