Post your Pet Photos

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
jehturner

Re: Post your Pet Photos

Post by jehturner » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:55 pm

admin wrote:You should be able to upload it directly in to the forum here using the "upload attachment" tab under the window where you write your reply in the thead. It will then give you a button to place the file inline in the post on this thread. That would be the quick way for the current purposes.
Great, thanks. I hadn't spotted that. Here are two of my cats, Rosie and Smudge:
Rosie_smudge.jpg
My #2 and 3 Chilean cats, Rosie & Smudge
James.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:07 pm

Here is our kitten Taffy, who appeared a few months ago and was nearly eaten by a neighbour's dog:
Taffy.jpg
Our #4 cat, Taffy

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:15 pm

And our first Chilean cat, Fish (with Rosie), who disappeared at Christmas the year before last:
Fish_med.jpg
Fish, our first cat here
We had him since he was just ~4 weeks old, when he was the size of my hand and would only eat fish. You can't really see from the picture, but he had very thick polar fur. Poor Fish, he is/was a good cat, though he would often hide under furniture and attack you viciously when you passed by.

James.

RWS

Post by RWS » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:51 am

Handsome, handsome cats, James! I'm saddened that Fish has (temporarily, I pray) been lost; we'll hope that he's still "Pez" and not yet "Pescado".

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:33 am

James, gorgeous ktties. Sorry to hear about Fish. One of ours that my husband found last year wandered off 2 months ago. A neighbor supposedly saw her get run over by a car, but we never found the body. Here is a picture of her, her name is Vicky:

And this is the 3rd dog, Jade. Another that was dumped where my husband works. She is about a year old, very sweet, but destructive:

And a few of Rechu with the cats, he loves to hang out with cats.

With Timi Guatón

With Loca Miau Miau (the kitten in my avatar, all grown up:

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:37 am

RWS wrote:Handsome, handsome cats, James! I'm saddened that Fish has (temporarily, I pray) been lost; we'll hope that he's still "Pez" and not yet "Pescado".
Thanks, I hope so, but it's been almost 2 years now and we only moved house a month or so before that, so it doesn't seem likely he'll just reappear. One of the leading theories was that someone had stolen him, which apparently happens here when some people like the look of an animal. We never found any evidence that he'd come to a bad end. So I hope someone is looking after him well. If he did come back, we'd be pretty overwhelmed with 4 cats plus the one from down the road that comes in and eats the food!
gringalais wrote:James, gorgeous ktties. Sorry to hear about Fish. One of ours that my husband found last year wandered off 2 months ago. A neighbor supposedly saw her get run over by a car, but we never found the body. Here is a picture of her, her name is Vicky:
Oh no. That looks a nice cat. Too bad to hear she might have been run over ... unless someone also stole her. It's amazing how many people suggested that when I mentioned Fish was missing, as if it's just to be expected.

James.

ak405

Post by ak405 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:43 pm

jehturner wrote:One of the leading theories was that someone had stolen him, which apparently happens here when some people like the look of an animal. We never found any evidence that he'd come to a bad end.
A friend of mine told me the story of how her dog was once stolen. It was about 3 years ago right after she got him (Kasper, yes with a 'K'). According to a neighbor a junkie stole it right out of the yard. She called the Carabineros and when they showed up she gave them a photo of Kasper. While searching, they even kept her updated on their progress. They called her to say that they think they know where the dog is, and told her to wait for them. Of course she didn't, went to get her dog from a couple who paid 4 luca for the dog. They asked for the money until the pacos showed up. Less than six hours after Kasper was stolen she had him back and the junkie was also arrested. Way to go autoridad verde!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:12 pm

o.k. finally got her, me, and the camera in the same place at the same time without any of us moving too much.

Stripes working on a spreadsheet
gato2-400.jpg
This is a cat that was completely farrow when I decided to quit chasing her away from my garbage can and invited her in as a kitten. She spent about 3 months living in the garage, and only tolerated us because we fed her. Little by little she moved in. In spite of domestication, she is still the great rat killer. She has taken down rats twice her size. I believe she has fully depopulated the rats from our neighborhood (we live a couple blocks from a horse pasture). She went on a killing spree last fall where the evidence was showing up in the back yard once or twice a week, and I have not seen any since. I watched her run one down one night (they nearly ran me over in the chase) and the rat never had a chance. Unfortunately, I believe she depopulated the rabbits also. I use to see a lot more rabbits running across the field at night. Now she is starting to get a bit fat and lazy, so nature has a way of balancing things out.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:35 pm

How cute. Looks a lot like my tabby, but she is not much of a hunter, she can barely trap a fly.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:14 pm

Yea, the best thing about this cat (specially from my wife's perspective) is she is totally house broken. No kitty litter box. She goes to the door or comes and gets us to let her out just like a dog. If I leave the skylight open to the roof, she can come and go as she pleases at night. She also does not drink water out of water dish. Instead she jumps on one of the sinks a couple times a day, and waits for someone to turn on the tap for her. So, other than keeping the food dish full, she is no maintenance. If I had motion sensor taps and an automatic feeding dish, we could likly leave her at home alone indefinitely when we travel.

I have never really been able to figure out what makes a good mouser (or ratter in this case). I have had lots of cats, but not just any cat will hunt (seriously hunt). I am fairly sure none of my male cats have ever been real hunters, so it is the females that do the hunting. It also seems that my smaller female cats make the best hunters, or at least will take on the biggest game and be good at it. This one will come back with serious combat scars, and I don't think it is other cats doing it. She even had major surgery to save one of her eyes when we first got her after a bad infection. I think she took on something a little too big for her.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:13 pm

Yes, we have one of the few cat flaps in La Serena, so no cat litter (which is bloody expensive) but we have one or two regular visitors (whether we like it or not)...
admin wrote:it is the females that do the hunting. It also seems that my smaller female cats make the best hunters
I could probably second that. Our smallish female short-haired cat gets the birds. Unfortunately she seems to have figured out how to open the neighbours' bird cage and fish their canaries out too. The females seem relatively affectionate though.

James.

thingit

Post by thingit » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:40 pm

These are the ducklings that have been causing so much grief for me recently. From left to right is Speed Racer, Guillermo, Andre, Kevin and Nibbler.
Kevin and Nibbler are moving to a new home tonight.
Attachments
Duckies.JPG