Post your Pet Photos

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
Britkid

Re: Post your Pet Photos

Post by Britkid » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:59 pm

I thought I would consolidate into an existing thread that I knew dog lovers would be watching rather than start another one, admittedly that may have been a mistake, I did not even realise there would be a whole section of the forum devoted to pets and animals. The breed I don't know someone told me maybe a cross breed of part poodle and/or cocker, I wouldn't know myself. The dog, which is male, has not been fixed.

Just having a look now at Cesar's website, thanks for that.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

thaitochile

Post by thaitochile » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:09 pm

Britkid wrote:I thought I would consolidate into an existing thread that I knew dog lovers would be watching rather than start another one, admittedly that may have been a mistake, I did not even realise there would be a whole section of the forum devoted to pets and animals. The breed I don't know someone told me maybe a cross breed of part poodle and/or cocker, I wouldn't know myself. The dog, which is male, has not been fixed.

Just having a look now at Cesar's website, thanks for that.
How old was he when you got him? Do you have any idea when he was separated from his liter...at what age? I'm trying to determine what is called "bite inhibition".
Well he is likely an intelligent dog if a true cockapoo....but they can be a bit anxious sometimes....separation anxiety especially.
Also, does he really bite or does he take your hand in his mouth and light-medium bite down without breaking the skin...called mouthing?
Prayers without wine are perfectly pointless.

ARISTOPHANES

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:23 pm

He was very young when separated, like a couple of months maybe. Probably too young. He probably hadn't been cared for very well, we could not get him to eat or drink much and he had to spend about 3 days at the vet under professional care, right at the start, and I think he was dehydrated when we got him.

He does bite I'd say, I mean it hurts and he can draw blood (not much).
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

thaitochile

Post by thaitochile » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:12 am

Britkid wrote:He was very young when separated, like a couple of months maybe. Probably too young. He probably hadn't been cared for very well, we could not get him to eat or drink much and he had to spend about 3 days at the vet under professional care, right at the start, and I think he was dehydrated when we got him.

He does bite I'd say, I mean it hurts and he can draw blood (not much).
Okay, since you aren't sure when Lucas was separated from the mom and especially his liter mates it may just be a "bite inhibition" issue. Please Google this. Many dogs in Thailand have this issue due to the Thai's separating them from the liter at 6 weeks rather than 8+. This may be what is going on with Lucas....he never learned from his liter mates how hard is too hard to bite when playing and also doesn't know that human skin is even more sensitive. Please read more but basically when he bites you do not pull away (I realize that this is very hard to do) but when you pull away a dogs reaction is to lunge forward and bite harder...you'll also scrape your hand on his teeth frequently doing this. Instead when he bites you let your hand go limp and loudly yelp like a puppy would. I know this seems funny but it will usually stop the action immediately and you remove your hand. Also, if he was taken away and mistreated at that age he likely is suffering from a type of separation anxiety....read some on this as well.
Hope that helps a little.
Prayers without wine are perfectly pointless.

ARISTOPHANES

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:08 pm

Thanks, just having a look online now, and will give it a shot.