Moving with a cat from Portugal to Chile: a report

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
tiagoabner

Moving with a cat from Portugal to Chile: a report

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:31 pm

Hello, fellow forumites.

I was checking another topic where I discussed my move back to Chile, and I noticed that I still hasn't written a report about how we bought our cat with us from Portugal (via Brazil). So here you go!

---

We decided to move back to Chile by March 2019, and we started to do our research on the best way to do it. One option for us would be to fly directly from Barcelona, but we needed to handle some personal business in São Paulo, so we decided to come through Brazil. So we needed to meet all Brazilian requirements to import a cat from Portugal, and all Chilean requisites to import a cat from Brazil.

The documents needed to bring our cat from Portugal to Brazil were:
- A vet health certificate stating that the cat was healthy and fit to travel;
- Recent internal and external parasitary treatment;
- An European pet passport;
- Up-to-date rabies vaccine (or rabbies vaccine blood test, which was needed to get her to Portugal in the first place);
- An export permit from the Portuguese agricultural service. There's a standard for each country, and the officer has it available.

The documents needed to bring our cat from Brazil to Chile were:
- A vet health certificate stating that the cat was healthy and fit to travel. This needed to be from a Brazilian veterinary.
- Up-to-date rabies vaccine (or rabbies vaccine blood test, which was needed to get her to Portugal in the first place);
- An export permit from the Brazilian agricultural service. There's a standard for each country, and the officer has it available. The Brazilian agricultural office usually takes a few days to prepare this, so plan accordingly.

Other than that, we needed to have a travel bag that met the size specs for both Tap and Sky Airlines. It was a flexible Amazon Basics model, and the cat flew with us on the cabin.

The actual trip was very uneventful. This wasn't Bisteca's first flight, and she slept through both of them. We arrived in São Paulo on a Friday, spent a week there, got her new documents and then flew to Chile. Her papers were inspected both in Brazil and on Chile, and she was released to go with us without any further hiccups. We didn't pay any import fees on either country.

Total costs for the process (in US dollars):
Vet visits, vaccines and antiparasite treatment: $150
Portuguese export license & pet passport: $50
Flights: $280
Other minor expenses: $70 (travel bag, transport to government offices etc)
Total cost: USD $550
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

tiagoabner

Re: Moving with a cat from Portugal to Chile: a report

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:40 pm

Bonus: Bisteca, the fluffiest fluff.
Attachments
IMG-20191021-WA0032.jpeg
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:06 pm

Thanks for the report. Even though it's not currently related to the topic(s) du jour, it's still potentially very useful info :)

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:12 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:06 pm
Thanks for the report. Even though it's not currently related to the topic(s) du jour, it's still potentially very useful info :)
That's the idea. This may be useful if someone is coming from Europe through Brazil with their pets.