New law on keeping pets

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
frozen-north

New law on keeping pets

Post by frozen-north » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:03 pm

An interview critical of the new law about pets, 'Ley de Tenencia Responsable de Mascotas', by a representative from the organization Albergando Un Amigo.

This Saturday, 9 of December at 18:30, they will be having a 'get together' in the plaza of Puerto Montt to express their opposition.

Animalistas cuestionan reglamentos de Ley de Tenencia Responsable de Mascotas
Prensa Vértice TV - Región de Los Lagos
Published on Dec 5, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XApmU1vFveM
In the proposed law: Only one dog or cat for every 100 sq meters. Illegal to feed street dogs.
34 artículos que establecen, entre otras medidas, la prohibición de alimentar animales en las calles y la cantidad de animales que se pueden tener de acuerdo al tamaño de la vivienda.

Este último artículo establece que en las casas habitación de sectores urbanos o rurales con "una superficie de terreno inferior o igual a 100 metros" el "número máximo permitido será de una mascota o animal de compañía, considerando perros y gatos".

El artículo ocho, en tanto señala que se "prohibirá la alimentación, provisión de agua e instalación de casuchas para animales en la vía pública o espacios públicos", es decir, no se le podrá dar comida o dar abrilo al perrito regalón del paradero.

http://www.cooperativa.cl/noticias/pais ... 81047.html
It seems that they already might have done some changes as a result of the opposition.
Una polémica se generó luego de que el Ministerio de Salud diera a conocer los documentos preliminares del Reglamento Ley Nº 21.020 sobre Tenencia Responsable de Mascotas y Animales de Compañía, para someterlos a consulta.

Minsal retira polémica norma que regulaba número de mascotas según tamaño de hogares

http://www.t13.cl/noticia/nacional/mins ... de-hogares

Donnybrook

Re: New law on keeping pets

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:39 pm

Here's the thing. If it created fury that there should be a cap on the number of pets you can have based on the square meters of your residence, I can understand that. It is quite a different thing to have two small cats or two great danes. Everyone was imagining their "extra" pets being carted off by some sort of pet police. But I live next door to a woman who has 9 dogs in a small urban garden. She has them but does not clean up after them very often. The smell of urine on a hot day cannot be described and the flies swirling around the fecal matter make it into my kitchen. The dogs bark, sometimes for hours, and they fight each other. I think what the regulation was aimed at was stopping this sort of situation (which is not uncommon). They just tried to apply maths to a very emotional issue and that won't work.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:08 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
Here's the thing. If it created fury that there should be a cap on the number of pets you can have based on the square meters of your residence, I can understand that. It is quite a different thing to have two small cats or two great danes. Everyone was imagining their "extra" pets being carted off by some sort of pet police. But I live next door to a woman who has 9 dogs in a small urban garden. She has them but does not clean up after them very often. The smell of urine on a hot day cannot be described and the flies swirling around the fecal matter make it into my kitchen. The dogs bark, sometimes for hours, and they fight each other. I think what the regulation was aimed at was stopping this sort of situation (which is not uncommon). They just tried to apply maths to a very emotional issue and that won't work.
From what I understood from the interview, if your neighbour were to call herself a 'criador familiar', under the new law she would not have a limit on the number of dogs she could keep.

Julito

Post by Julito » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:56 pm

Like so many other so called laws and legislation in Chile it'll never be enforced, it's too emotive and confrontational.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:48 am

It was a proposed regulation, and the backlash was so great they pulled it in less than 24 hours.

Don't mess with the quiltros in chile, if you want to stay in power.

Just watch all those student protests. Who is out front leading them?

The street dogs.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:21 am

Julito wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:56 pm
Like so many other so called laws and legislation in Chile it'll never be enforced, it's too emotive and confrontational.
AMÉN!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:12 am

I get what they were trying to do, but the way they drafted it was stupid. Especially the 1 animal per 100 square meters with a 5 animals per house max.

I have 3 dogs and a cat (all rescues), and half a hector of land, surrounded by several hundred hectors of fields. My animals have their own nanny, and a vet on call 24 hours a day. If i want 10, 20, 100, as long as they are all well cared for, that is my buisness.

I have friends that have like 12+ cats and dogs (all rescues), but live on a 200+ hectare farm. Should they toss a few back on the street because some beucrat in santiago, that obviously does not own animals, says it is too many?

It was the stupid one size fits all nature of the drafting.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:33 am

There was another point brought up somewhere, that the proposal probably violated the private property protections in the constitution, so was not going to withstand any challenge in court even if they implemented it.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:15 am

I see this unconditional defence of uncontrolled domestic animals by "Animal Rights" groups is often more against humans rather than for animals. Whether these people care, or even notice the problems that their habits and attitudes cause is a moot point, but I believe that many do take a perverse pleasure in creating a nuisance, and are not interested in animal welfare, its just another excuse to create mayhem.

A few years ago in P. Arenas, an Animal Rights lumpenmob invaded the cathedral during a service on a specious pretext.
As the pics show, its possible to defend animals and have a good time as well.

A_UNO_223787a.jpg
A_UNO_223787a.jpg (44.76 KiB) Viewed 147 times
ppataqueiglesia_punta_arenas.jpg
ppataqueiglesia_punta_arenas.jpg (27.06 KiB) Viewed 147 times
Après moi, le déluge

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:32 am

Cholito must be rolling in his grave.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:16 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:12 am
I get what they were trying to do, but the way they drafted it was stupid. Especially the 1 animal per 100 square meters with a 5 animals per house max.
Not getting at people genuinely concerned with animal welfare, but thats not what the proposal says. The intention was to limit the number of pets per house of 100 m2 or less in built-up areas to prevent situations of the type that Donnybrook described previously. Not applicable to isolated properties. Or farms.
Artículo 9º.- En casas habitación, de sectores urbanos o rurales de población
concentrada
, que dispongan de una superficie de terreno inferior o igual a 100 metros
cuadrados, el número máximo permitido será de una mascota o animal de compañía,
considerando perros y gatos......
In a country where they cant even decide on a permanent Time Zone, despite endless discussion and consultation, I doubt that this initiative will come to anything. En Chile no pasa nada.

From a sanitary aspect, I find that cats are worse than dogs. At least dogshit gets sporadically collected, or spread around on pedestrian shoes. But in my town catshit on the rooftops remains intact and undisturbed, providing an excellent breeding ground for flies. Last year I paid a guy to scrape several buckets full off my roofs. Unfortunately nobody else here seems to be aware the problem even exists. Its friggin mediaeval here, still.
Après moi, le déluge

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:28 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Not getting at people genuinely concerned with animal welfare, but thats not what the proposal says. The intention was to limit the number of pets per house of 100 m2 or less in built-up areas to prevent situations of the type that Donnybrook described previously. Not applicable to isolated properties. Or farms.

I think that you might be quoting the revised edition, and not the one that was originally proposed and rejected.
Este último artículo establece que en las casas habitación de sectores urbanos o rurales con "una superficie de terreno inferior o igual a 100 metros" el "número máximo permitido será de una mascota o animal de compañía, considerando perros y gatos".

http://www.cooperativa.cl/noticias/pais ... 81047.html
This page seems to have a link to the original document, but I can't get it to display.