would we be nuts to bring my 2 yorkies on vacation with us?

Forum related to everything not related to our not so human friends, including importing animals, buying animals, pets, veterinarians in Chile, animal rescue causes, and anything else related to animals in Chile.
Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.
helibel

would we be nuts to bring my 2 yorkies on vacation with us?

Post by helibel » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:55 am

For those who do not know me, I am no longer a frequent poster here, we have a vacation home in Llifen on lago Ranco. Our trips to Chile are often limited to 2-3 weeks because of our dogs, we miss them terribly (and we pay a lot of money for dog sitting $30 a day LOL)
I have read some of threads on traveling with dogs but there is not much in the last 6 years. We live in Puerto Rico and we travel on COPA who will let us take them as carry on for $75 dollars( only if we arrive Monday thru Friday), they only weigh 5 and 7 pounds. The longest flight from Panama to SCL is only about 5 hours so that should not be a big problem.We rent a car in Santiago and drive south. The dogs will be mostly indoors with us, and we have family in santiago so finding a place to stay is not a problem.
Can someone give me some insightas to how long a process we might expect when we arrive.
Where can I get a list of the requirements.

Space Cat

Re: would we be nuts to bring my 2 yorkies on vacation with us?

Post by Space Cat » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:28 am

From our feline travelling experiences:

1. See maximum allowed pet's weight and bag dimensions on your airline's "pets in cabin" page.

2. Get an appropriate bag, plastic cages usually won't fit in cabin. We have this one for our cat, highly recommended (they should have dog-sized ones).

3. Call your airline and ask if they allow two dogs at the same time, some airlines allow only one pet in cabin for a flight. Also if you have "operated by..." flight then check its airline site and call them too. Generally it's much easier to fly with pets with a single airline.

4. See SAG's page about bringing pets to Chile and follow every rule (vaccination 1 to 12 months old, internal and external parasite treatment less than 30 days before arrival, etc.).

5. Reserve tickets without buying and call your airline to add the pet transportation for your reservation number. After confirmation proceed to actually purchasing the tickets.

6. Prepare international veterinary certificate before the flight (usually it's issued in 3 to 5 days before departure, depends on your country's rules).

7. Pay some fees for pet transportation online or in the airport, depending on the airline.

8. Cats are pretty good at not drinking and holding everything up to 2 days but I have no idea if it's possible for dogs to not drink and pee for a long time, travel guides could help.

On arrival it's a 5-10 minutes check. As soon as they see valid vaccination and parasite treatment entries in your documents - you are free to go.

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:35 pm

Two small beloved Yorkies. They think that they are the lions of the jungle, but we know they aren't. You will need to keep them very close in public. Dogs living on the street and dogs with homes but allowed to run free are a potential danger to them, especially if yours aren't accustomed to encountering curious, aggressive-ish dogs in their daily life. Your Yorkies may find the encounters stressful. They are small enough to fit through the bars of most fences, another concern.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:46 pm

Can't say for other regions but here people not even lift their tiny doggos when big street ones approach. Quiltros surprisingly calm towards dogs with owners.

MikieO

Post by MikieO » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:00 pm

I've been holding off getting a replacement for my old English Bull terrier for more than a decade now. My travel makes dog ownership problematic. Recently however, I met a young lady at Dallas, after the flight from Santiago. She had a golden retriever in a crate and was petting it during the layover to Portland.
After finding out that she (like me) splits her time between the US and Chile, I asked her in general terms if it was excessively expensive, or traumatic for the dog to go back and forth. She couldn't recall the exact $ amount, but it wasn't shocking and the dog was happy.
Does anybody here have experience in this? Am I asking for a headache, thinking that we can just "snowbird" with
a dog?
With the recent Haitian influx, these intrepid little chaps might be just the job.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2dZr0uvqqs
These are minis, he'd have lost his trousers with a standard bully. :lol:
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:27 pm

Other than what has been said, you know your animal. Do they strike you as the type that travel well?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

MikieO

Post by MikieO » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:47 pm

After 9 months, I'd say yes. I understand the need for shots, records and hoops but what are we looking at in $ typically?
Thanks in advance :mrgreen:
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes

Zenth

Post by Zenth » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:34 am

Regardless of how well they travel, you're going to have a difficult time. Street dogs may not bother them, but even dogs that have owners are not well socialized. They are very territorial within their boundaries.
We took our maltese to Chile and whenever we visited friends or family, we spent most of the time holding her above our heads so the "Host dogs" wouldn't go after her.
You probably will not be able to check into a hotel with them, either.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:32 am

It's possible to find pet-friendly places, though the choice is small. Use the "pet friendly" filter on Booking.com or AirBnB or other accommodation search engine.

In Santiago we stayed with a cat in the Amistar Apartments and in Valdivia it was Hostal Costamia (its owner even had a Frenchie running in the halls).

MikieO

Post by MikieO » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:21 pm

I'm not so worried about how things will be for my dog in chile, I have a place there. I'm trying to get a rough idea of my bi annual travel costs, bringing a 50 lb dog.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:48 pm

Figure out the crate size and call the airlines, they have set prices for pet travel, some flights may be excluded, I have never figured out why......
It's all about the wine.

at46

Post by at46 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:35 pm

We were bilked USD75 by the airport's vet for some vaccine five years ago, even though all our docs and vaccines were totally in order. It was either pay me in cash now or the dog goes into quarantine for two weeks or something. A couple of friends reported the same thing happening to them also over the last couple of years.